Sickly 360... | FerrariChat

Sickly 360...

Discussion in '360/430' started by DDAVE, Dec 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Hi All,

I've got a 360 that is proving to be a bit problematic.

it developed a fault where, in the first instance the 'go slow' cat overheating warning would pop up when the car was being driven hard; with prolonged running over say 7k rpm - then go away again when it backed off.

I planned to get it investigated at the next service (due in a month or so - but the car is rarely driven)

I drove it a few more times, and the issue got much worse - to the point where the car more or less wouldnt rev out with any sort of enthusiasm over 6k rpm; and the go slow light came on much quicker.

As it turns out; the left hand ECU is generating a fault suggesting that the timing variator position was not being reached.

Electronic timing angle found LH bank at 665 and the RH bank at 650; meaning that the LH bank is actually in spec; but the RH bank is out of spec - and 15 degrees different to the LH bank (when the tolerance is 3 degrees)

sooo.. the cam belts were checked first... and were found to be in a poor state - so they were changed, and new Hills tensioner bearings were fitted - but; the timing couldnt be checked as the timing marks were missing; so the valve covers were popped off and the timing checked off the timing marks at the other end - apparently the cam timing is spot on with the scribed marks.

but... back on diagnostics - virtually the same timing readings have occurred.

many thanks for thoughts?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Check lt fuel trims.

also see if cats glow bright red in the dark after slow down light

3. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    does it run smooth when cold? easiest answer is a bad coil. but if its bad, should be slightly rough when cold.

4. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    Coils were my first guess - I swapped them out between the early issues and it getting really bad!

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Replace the coils. All of them with new coils. They can be bad and not throw a code

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

incorrect timing will cause "slow down", no matter what your cat's actual temperature----- personal experience.
    I crudely adjusted timing, all good afterwards.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Should have done the timing to spec using a degree wheel.

8. DDAVE

DDAVE Rookie

Jun 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    David Vincec
    So.. I have not got the car back yet - its coming back tomorrow- but apparently the problem is twofold.

1) cat controller module failure

2) maf shot

The cam covers came off and timing was checked, along with cam belts changed. Timing is spot on, but apparently the ecu is still showing a difference in timing. I'm told that the car is driving as it should though so its not worth further investigation (it doesn't generate a warning light either)

9. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    checked long term fuel trims?..