Lowering the 458 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lowering the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Texasz, Sep 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    #51 Farris, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Guys,

I have a 2010 458 coupe, without the lifting system.

What is an achievable amount of drop that can be reached without risking damage to the suspension?

The shop that is doing the work is saying that the front has been lowered by 10mm and is sticking. They said that it should be possible to lower the car much more as there is lots of thread left, but that they will need to remove the shock to see why it is sticking.

Has anyone had this experience or can someone shed some light please?

Thanks

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Which diameter wheels do you have? By sticking you mean the tyres rubbing on the fenders? If you mean that the suspension is sticking i think that my dealer was telling me something about this problem with some cars but i didnt fully understand what it was, luckily mine didnt have the problem.

Mine was lowered the max. that the stock coils could be lowered: 1.25 inches in the back and 1.75 inches in the front, I have 20mm novitec (painted :) ) spacers in back and front
    and the 20i. stock wheels and no rubbing whatsoever.

Hope u get it sorted out!

3. ferraritime

ferraritime Karting

Aug 22, 2007
    Washington DC Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry H.
    Sweet! Beautiful car!

4. HGMOTORSPORTS

HGMOTORSPORTS Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. The collars like to seize on the factory threads if they all lowered too much. Tell them to be extremely careful and go back to where they started. Trying to go any lower will further damage the threads.

I recommend the Novitec Sport Springs.

5. HGMOTORSPORTS

HGMOTORSPORTS Karting
    BANNED

Feb 13, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    #55 HGMOTORSPORTS, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have been very happy with the Novitec Sport Spring kit for the 458 Italia/Spider (with or without factory hydraulic lift). We have installed them on several 458's and have had great results.

If anyone is interested in lowering their car, I would highly recommend this route over adjusting your factory suspension.

If you may have any questions please PM or Call. These springs are available on our web store as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Baitschev likes this.
  6. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Does anyone have instructions on how to lower the car without the lift system? I like to perform my own work.

Thanks!

Baitschev likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    BE VERY CAREFUL!

Among the many issues that can bite, those springs can literally take off a body part if you are not careful. They are under tremendous tension.

I'd leave this one to the pros... Also recommend Novitec Rosso springs.

8. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Novitec springs in stock!

9. Zachman

Zachman Rookie

Jun 13, 2012
    Will FNA honor the warranty, if Novitec shocks are installed on a 458??

10. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Does anyone have instructions on how to lower the car without the lift system? I like to perform my own work.

Thanks!

11. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    While the front looks good the rear looks oddly too low.

12. PorscheGuy

PorscheGuy Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2010
    Irving TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Sorry to bring up this topic but if you have a 458 WITH the lifter I assume you can purchase the Novitec springs and lower it properly that way?

13. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Correct. The Novitec springs work for both suspension systems.

14. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    How do you lift or lower a car with a lift system? We put Novitec springs on mine and its a bit low, how can I adjust the front up a little?

15. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017
    Your car looks great and ride height looks perfect. Can you please specify what parts you used to get to that ride height/stance? Springs, etc.

16. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    hey, doc. i know it's been a while but do you remember how low you were able to lower the front end of your 458 given you had the lift system? thank you!

17. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    only about 1/2". I ended up going with the Novitec springs to get the right stance.

John Bond likes this.
  18. John Bond

John Bond Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Los Angeles
    thank you, sir. will do the same.

DoctorV8 likes this.
  19. 6Summits

6Summits Rookie

Nov 24, 2020
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Eldon Boone
    I had the Novitec springs installed on my 458 that has the front axle lift. The car is too low now, as it scrapes the bottom on uneven roads and the front tires rub when the wheels are fully turned. I have the stock 20" wheels and tires, but I have spacers installed (15mm front / 20mm rear). The installer was able to raise the rear suspension, but the front suspension is not adjustable. It appears the only option may be to have plates made to set under the spring perches. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

20. Agostinho

Agostinho Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2017

My 458 is lowered on the stock coilovers (no front lift) close to the Novitec springs lowered height with 10mm front and 15mm back spacers, and I never have rubbing when the steering wheel is turned lock to lock. The easiest thing to do is remove the front spacers to see if that corrects the problem. If it does, you could always try a 10mm front spacer. With lowered cars even 5mm can be the difference between rubbing or not. Good luck.

21. RickH3

RickH3 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    I have 15mm front and 20mm rear, with novitec. Was some rubbing when I "slammed" it at first, but I adjusted it up until it was fine. Front and rear are adjustable; so you can simply raise it up if it rubs. I tried to keep the factory "tilt" of the car.

I have it set to work on both stock tires (track use) and my "winter" 21" and 22" wheels.

22. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    are you sure the front suspension is not adjustable when you add novitec springs? please don't tell me this, i just paid $2K to lower mine on novitec springs (i also have lifter) , and its too low so i'm going back to have them raise it a little bit..i can't imagine the front can't be raised a bit .

your rubbing issue is the spacers and how low it is probably. I have 11mm/15mm and as low as mine is i at least don't have rubbing

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  23. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    does your car also have front lift system?

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You might want to take the car to your dealer. The fronts are adjustable. I suspect that he might tell you they aren't because he has seized the collars.
    Where exactly do the tyres rub? Like has been discussed many times, 11 mm is pretty much the limit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

That’s what I thought , this guy now has me worried lol. So even with front LIFT system the front and the rear are still adjustable when lowered on Novitec springs , correct?