new california | FerrariChat

new california

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by jason2479, Dec 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jason2479

jason2479 Rookie

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason Hug
    hi guys ....im in a position to buy a california looked at modena 360 but like the california ...
    a long list of maybe cars lol bmw i8 .... aston martin dbs.... f type svr .....amg gt.... and cayman gts

i think if i dont buy the ferrari when i can i will regret it..... cpl questions

i will use pretty much every day so hoping this will mean the battery running flat wont be issue not high miles but a prob 10-15 ( my mercedes sl500 has 2 batterys good idea )

mpg not high but my sl500 i avrg 15-18 mpg so not a big issue i wont be buying for economy ...just wondered what avrg was on california

ive had a chat to local garage they deal in a lot of old school and high end cars ;-) they have ferrari account and computer stuff to connect to california if i get ,,,,

any big things to look out for ?

cheers jase

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hi...I'd ask how old battery is, and if more than a couple of years, replace it. The batteries on modern F-cars seem to be a notorious
    weak spot. Even if you drive it every day or so, I would still keep on tender for peace of mind. But, I'm a worry wart like that! I drive
    mine 2 - 3 times per week, and still I tender it religiously.

The biggest Cali-based worries from my reading here seem to be (1) DTC engine sensors, (2) the hard top convertible, and (3) engine mounts.

I've never kept track of MPG, but if I had to guestimate on how many miles I get between fill-ups, ca. 10 - 15 MPG depending on the mix of enthusiastic vs around-town driving I do.

Good luck w/ the hunt...T

3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Pin the exhaust valves open to get a bit more noise, [ Ferrari sports exhaust is no more noise] I was getting 25mpg doing 80 mph fully loaded up on a 2 day motorway drive . Drive it hard and it drops a lot as per all Ferraris.

Get one Maganride [ most have it] Hi FI is a nice option as is a black roof. Buy from a Ferrari dealer and get 2 year warrenty
    A great all round car :)

jason2479 likes this.
  4. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Hi, I'd add to that run your hands over all of the leather trim (door panels and dash incl overhead screen panel) as they come unglued after a time, particularly in a hot humid climate and it is a real pain to pull it all out and fix. I am just doing it on my 2013 Cali that has never been left in direct sunlight unless driving it.. Also check for sticky buttons, again a real pain as I am dong that too. Lastly if you can get the Ferrari warranty, I have continued mine from new and although expensive and unless you know the car history, one fail will easily justify that cost. Otherwise happy days, it doesn't get any better than owning a Ferrari.

jason2479 likes this.
  5. jason2479

jason2479 Rookie

Dec 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason Hug
    Will check leather David thanks ..

but being from UK I'm unsure of the phrase hot and humid !! :)

alex likes this.
  6. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I'm from there too but chose a hotter location to live permanently. Better driving weather days but harder on the cars as a result. Good luck with getting the right California to drive when the sun is out.

jason2479 likes this.
  7. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Soft? I'm not seeing any soft there!
    That's a beautiful California. TdF blue?
    Enjoy it in the best of health...T

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Raj, I think you will find it a much more engaging drive than your 14 Turbo ... having driven both cars back to back several times. It's a shame we're getting a foot of snow tonight here in Boston. I took mine out yesterday for a bit, but it will be in the garage for now.

10. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    yea I certainly hope I like it better. As it turns out I bought this after I was told I have to have rotator cup shoulder surgery. Serious. Long recovery. Had surgery Friday after arguing weeks with my PCP / health care system who refused to give me a referral to my surgeon friend - he’s the best. Red Sox etc. “We’d like u to use our guy in fact we insist”. Uhhh. No!.

Please take your nee Ferrari to a random shop... not even for a car:). Underscores how screwed up the system is ...

Anyway, So no need for car in winter - it’ll go straight in the garage and be incentive to do PT! Prob 6 weeks before I can think re opening a door..

so excited. Out of curiosity what tires do you run in boston on yrs? No snow but cold if think for many compounds. My tires on my Porsche became rocks...

cheers.

yes - even

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brother just had rotator cuff. Stick with the PT and you'll be cruising in your Cali in no time. Best wishes...T

SVCalifornia likes this.
  12. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David

tomc likes this.
  13. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This reply is spot on. I‘ve had my ‘13 Cali-30 for fifteen months now and I’ve replaced the motor mounts for a much smoother idle (replace the one under the gearbox while you’re at it) and had all the ‘sticky buttons’ refinished. It had gearbox issues early in its life but trouble free since. Definitely get yourself a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery tender/conditioner. The original Ferrari unit is worthless - I keep my CTEK plugged in at all times when the car is not being driven. Average mpg for me has been around 13 or so. That’s mixed usage and winding it up to redline occasionally. Any issues you might see (top stops working, warning lights, etc) try shutting down for a while then restarting, or look for a weak battery first.

I think you’ll enjoy it immensely.

alex likes this.
  14. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    What tire were you on. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app