About to jump right in. | FerrariChat

About to jump right in.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Threeofnine, Dec 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Greetings everyone. I’ve been driving Tesla’s for the last few years but I think I’m finally in a place where I can consider getting into supercar ownership.

I am currently in the market for a Lamborghini Gallardo but there is one car that has been my dream car since the 3rd grade (back in the early 90s). I even regularly got in trouble with my teachers for drawing this car quite often instead of focusing my school work. This car would be the beautiful Ferrari Testarossa,

I can’t help but notice that Testarossas are currently very similarly priced when compared to Gallardos. However, would this car be a poor choice for a beginner Ferrari owner? I’ve heard that the maintenance is sky high and it’s near impossible to obtain parts for the Testarossa these days. Is this accurate?

I could comfortably afford $10k or so in ownership expenses annually (not including gas and insurance) but I’d rather not own something that is going to be a money pit. A PPI would be an absolute must. Naturally the car wouldn’t be a daily driver, but it also wouldn’t be a garage queen either. I’d probably put 2-3k miles on it per year. Would this probably be a bad idea?

2. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Hi Jarrod. You are in a similar situation to what I was in a few years ago. I drove my neighbor’s Gallardo and thought it was the car to get. However, the car that I really, really wanted for a long time was a TR, and so I got one instead. $10k per year averaged out over time should be plenty for ongoing repairs and maintenance. The trick is finding a competent, trustworthy, and reasonably priced mechanic. There aren’t that many around who really understand these cars. And yes, a PPI is a must.

I put about 3k miles per year on mine. It’s a great long distance cruiser and loves to be driven regularly. In fact, the more I drive it, the more reliable it gets and runs better too.

Which variant do you want—flying mirror, dual mirror, 512TR, or 512M? Color?

If you don’t get one, you’ll always wonder...so, go for it!

Threeofnine and VAF84 like this.
  3. Threeofnine

Threeofnine Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2020
    Birmingham, AL USA
    Full Name:
    Jarrod Heath
    Thanks for the reply! So you don’t have issues getting replacement parts for it?

I totally agree about finding a competent mechanic, but it might be a little difficult as I live in Birmingham, AL and there are only a couple shops in town that work on exotic cars. The nearest Ferrari dealer is about 200 miles away in Atlanta.

As for the variant, I’m really not picky here but duel mirror would probably be preferred. The color should be either red (classic Ferrari) or white (Miami Vice) with tan or white interior.

There is a duel mirror at a classic car dealer in Atlanta that I’m about to make a trip over to see. Would a Ferrari dealership do a PPI? I know some Lamborghini dealers will not due to getting caught up in legal disputes.

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A Gallardo is probably the most reliable first exotic these days.....Audi dealers will even service them (because of the R8 being the same under the skin)....the single clutch transmission is really antiquated though.

Threeofnine likes this.
  5. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Replacement parts can take some time to find, but given your preference for the dual mirror (which has the highest volume production of the four), it will likely be the least troublesome for finding parts. I’ve learned from experience who to go to for parts and it rarely takes long to find them. Your chosen service shop will have connections too. Also, there is a great parts cross-reference thread in the TR sub forum that will save you both time and money.

As for mechanics, you’re perhaps best served in Atlanta at FoA, Merlin, and/or Sports Car Service (‘SCS’). I’ve used all three. There’s a fourth in Atlanta that I haven’t used but that has gotten positive reviews here called Elite European. Specifically for a PPI on a TR, I’d consider either Merlin or SCS.