Couple of questions 2004 360 Spider | FerrariChat

Couple of questions 2004 360 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by 8202632, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    My car is running cold it seems. After 30 min of driving are the attached temps low? If so what could it be? Had a major done last year.

second, my interior heat is starting to not blow hot. It’s intermittent but on chilly mornings not fun. Any ideas there?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I suspect your thermostat has stuck in the open position.

sparetireless, E60 M5 and armedferret like this.
  3. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Definitely an indicator of a thermostat that's stuck open. 65 pound on eurospares, 125 and change on ricambi.

EastMemphis likes this.
  4. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    170 is normal operating temp... Not sure there is an issue here... Those reading are similar to mine after reaching full operating temp (and driving)

SoftwareDrone and Apollo 11 like this.
  5. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Ok 10-4. Appreciate the feedback I’m used to my others running at 205-212

6. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Open thermostat can still let the car reach normal op temp, just takes a while for it to get there. The other possibility is that the heater core is clogged. it's occasionally possible to push water through the reverse direction and remove whatever's gunked it up, but that doesn't always work. If it's been a while since coolant was flushed, and/or the heater core and thermostat haven't been replaced, i'd replace the thermostat first, and if the heater issues continue you'll be needing to at least try flushing the core (but be ready to replace entirely).

And yes OP, both mine and my wife's daily drivers are typically in the 190-220 range for water and oil temp both, depending on weather.

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    At the temperature shown on the oil temp gauge, it would be difficult to properly check the oil level.

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I'm still of the "opinion" that your readings are normal and not to worry about. The 360 engine runs "cooler" than other cars I've had. I was surprised too when I first got my car. It's a 170* instead of a "standard" 185* thermostat.

This is coming straight from the Workshop Manual for reference (copy/paste here):

Cooling cycle
    Fill the system as described (B 5.07). Before reaching 77°C - 170.6°F (B 5.03), the thermostatic valve is closed
    and the radiator circuit is temporarily cut out. The cooling mixture flows out from the engine through the water
    outlet manifolds (14) and cools the cylinders and heads through the special slits and channels. The coolant
    then flows through the exchanger (15) and into the centrifugal pump (1).
    Over the 79°C - 174.2°F threshold (B 5.03), the thermostatic starts opening, thereby allowing the mixture to pass
    and flow to the radiators. The mixture then flows through the line (9A) and into the radiators (6) and (5). Once
    cooled down, it will flow into the engine through the line (9B): the cycle will be so repeated.
    System
    The engine is cooIed by a pressurised circuit system (0.98 bar) through circulation of an anti-freeze mixture.

9. SilverF360

SilverF360 Rookie

Feb 9, 2011
    Great Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's also about where my 05 spider sits while cruising.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  10. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That is normal temp whilst driving. Let it idle and it will hit much closer to 190 before going back to your photo.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  11. Jda550911

Jda550911 Rookie

Jul 1, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    James
    I have an 09 430 and I was thinking the same thing you are. Even after banging around some corners and over a bridge with 8k rpm shifts the coolant temp never gets near 210. Seems like its under 200f even. This seemed weird seeing as my 911's temps regularly get over 212 oil and just over 200 coolant, with similar driving.

Going in for yearly maintenance with a trusted mechanic that has the same exact car in a couple weeks, so will update the thread if he says these temp reading aren't normal.

Different car for sure, but funny i thought the same thing and have the same readings.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Ah..... what? I don't see any problem with the temp readings in the photograph。 Why?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  13. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    on the heater, rotate the fan know back and forth a few times, it should fire up.

14. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Thanks y’all for the replies. I’m going to leave as is for now then. Have to get a couple of yearly maintenance items done so I will ask them to check out the thermostat.

is there an easy way to check and diagnose the thermostat? Or just secure the part, replace, and see if it makes a difference? Thanks!

15. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Mine's sat at the same temps as yours whilst driving for the whole 7 years I've had it, even in the heat of Dubai it seldom got much higher than you're showing unless I was in very slow moving traffic.
    The 360 is one of the coolest running cars I've ever had.

16. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo