How many thinking going back?! | FerrariChat

How many thinking going back?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sargepug, Dec 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I could have bought any Rarri and was eyeing the F8, until friends of mine that owned a 458 and moved to a 488 and F8, told me different! They all said, they miss the 458's N/A engine and visceral nature vs the predecessors!
    So, I went on a mission to find a pristine 458 as I did in March. Thoughts?!

PS: This is not a thread to debate the models, just a matter of opinion of those that want to go back or currently have a 458 like myself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I got my girl in a October and I couldn’t be happier.

Satisfies and fulfills everything that I wanted from the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed and Mikael-F360 like this.
  3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Do tell! Post some pics!

4. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok, I’m your huckleberry!

Love the lines and the curves. The only exotic I have have ever felt this way about.

Love the sound. I am in Colorado and listening to that noise bouncing off canyon walls is bliss.

Love the smell. The leather interior offers this sweet aroma that I have never experienced before.

Love the kick in race mode that makes her break loose in the corners.

And although she is obsolete with regards to tech and stats, for me the performance and
    drama she provides makes her perfect for what I wanted. The most fun car I have ever driven

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    I've seen and driven enough Pistas, and seen enough F8s that I don't feel compelled to go forwards by owning one in order to have the realization that makes me go back. The same way I tasted the Pappy 23 at a bar and know that I prefer the 15.

Both those cars are better in every measurable way to my 458S, except the one that matters to me: my driving enjoyment. I wouldn't trade mine for either of them, even if it was even money.

Others do and should differ for their own reasons, so I'm not sure how this thread is going to be useful.

Btw, good luck on not making this a 458 vs newer Ferraris thread. :)

Sargepug, GT2goneF, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello and thanks for your post!

I’ve had the pleasure of owning a 2015 458 Italia for nearly a year. It ticks every box on my list, whilst exceeding them at the same time. This is my first Ferrari (I’ve been a SonderKlasse Benz owner for 32 years) and it has been a watershed moment in my life.

The smooth flowing lines of the body are visually intoxicating... I can gaze at it for hours and enjoy every single curve and line. Every time I go into the car park, I want to hug her... I’ve never felt like this about any car I’ve ever owned.

The aural sensation of the naturally aspirated V-8 is insanely addictive and it makes me grin as wide as the “Joker” when I’m driving it. It’s almost like you become a part of the car — and it becomes a part of you. This marriage of body and machine is utterly seductive.

Each gear change brings a new rush of aural pleasure and the result is nothing short of mesmerisingly brilliant. I now go out of my way to find special roads with lots of twisty bits, that offer a chance to experience all the performance that the 458 offers.

The interior is visually stunning, remaining true to the very best of Italian style and luxury. This is the first car I’ve ever owned that I never, ever want to sell. I feel blessed to have a Prancing Horse in my stable. The gods at Maranello reached for the stars with the 458 and the result was nothing short of epic!

Cheers!

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The 458 is an amazing car!

Sargepug, GT2goneF and docf like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Got very close to the cement wheel stop.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Keen eye! I missed it by ~ 25mm. I park there regularly, so I’m used to the visual “stop” cues from the building wall. I’m planning on adding a camera to the front bumper to ensure clearance when necessary.

Cheers!

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Enjoy her !

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks, it’s an awesome ride! I’ve put about 5,000 “s-miles” on her in the last year.

Cheers!

12. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    True that bruddah! It’s such an addictive driving experience...

Cheers!

13. Jetmex

Jetmex Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    I must say it is something in Black!

Sargepug likes this.
  14. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I had two 458’s, skipped the 488, bought another 458, thinking it will tie me over until my F8 arrives. Turns out I love my 458, drove the demo F8, and turned down the car. I love my 458, and don’t think I would sell it for any other car.

Need4Spd, italiafan, docf and 2 others like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My journey with my second 458 will be ending in ‘21 as I’ll trade it against m incoming 765LT. I do absolutely love the car but I can tell it’s age in certain areas. The newer Ferraris feel more solidly built.

With that said, I’ve essentially made up my mind that if the 765LT doesn’t do it for me, is unreliable, or is potentially just too fast for me, I’m acquiring a Speciale.

I’ve driven the F8 and Pista. I don’t lust after them, although a Pista in Rossi fuoco would certainly be incredible. However, I lust after the speciale.

soulsea likes this.
  16. PCJR

PCJR Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2007
    PA
    Interesting to read these comments. I currently have a 13 spider I have been contemplating trading up to a Pista but now everybody here has me second-guessing!
    Thx for sharing.

Regular Guy 01, GT2goneF and soulsea like this.
  17. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Had a ‘13 458 Spider and then a ‘17 488 Spider. Was about to order a F8 Spider and decided the F8 was so similar to the 488 that I purchased a ‘19 812. It satisfies the NA sound I missed from the 458 and then some! Thus far I have not missed the top down experience.

18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Saw that too. I was cringing as it was still moving into it.

19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    All are absolutely stunning and beautiful to look at. Enjoy them as they are.

Sargepug likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    458 is a great car. Very nice driver but after owning a 488 and now a Pista I have zero desire to go back to a slower car.

I might be one of the few that likes the SF90 and is looking forward to the Little Brother v6 hybrid as well.

Onwards!

21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I'm very likely going to keep my 458, regardless of what I do in the future. I like the 812, though it looks a bit long on the front, and I'm thinking one more mid engine. Somehow, the transition to a front engine will mark a passing point in my life. Not easy to accept.

I'm just not keen on the McLaren - I can't seem to get over the front headlights, scissor doors, and the busy rear. I'm sure they're great cars, I just don't get excited when I see them.

Lambo? Sure I'd love to have the STO, but with zero chance of getting one, I'm left with the EVO Spyder RWD. This is a car I could lust after. But, comfort issues aside, it looks like a stiff ride, and damn it sits awfully low. I'm sure there will be other things as well, but I'm taking one more shot next week in Charlotte with the sport seats. I'll remain open minded........

I've enjoyed Porsches immensely, but I no longer lust after them. And I no longer need a stick, given the improvements in PDK technology.

Either a car does it for me or it doesn't. Simple as that. So.........not a lot of choice left. The F8 Spider, with perhaps a bit less drama than the 458, but still (IMO) a really fun car to drive. If I were 30s or 40s, maybe the F8 wouldn't appeal to me. Or perhaps it's just that I'm a Ferrari guy after all. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose.

Caeruleus11 and soulsea like this.
  22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    If you are holding back on the 812 because it is a "front engine" vehicle, don't hold back anymore. It is also a mid engine vehicle, it just has the engine in the front but it's center of gravity is behind the front wheel base; which is the same thing on midengine vehicles with the engine in the rear. If you look closely traditional (rear) midengine vehicles are slightly longer in the rear. The same applies to the 812, hence why it is slightly longer in the front.

23. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I have been on the fence thinking about buying a 488 spider
    I purchased my car 1.5 years ago ('14 458 spider) and I think it is a great car. I don't drive it much but I do have fun adding bits to it and just having it in my garage.
    Many people let me know that I should get it out more but oh well......life gets in the way.

Except for having a newer car, I don't know if the cost would be worth it.
    Listening to those of you in this thread that have traded up and have been unhappy I am even more reluctant to make the move.
    As I don't even drive the car I have now, I see even less reason to buy a 488.
    But then again, maybe I will drive my car more next year............ (wishful thinking).

Regards,
    GG

24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you aren’t driving the car, don’t pay Money for a newer garage queen.

Il Co-Pilota and GT2goneF like this.
  25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I was going to say the exact same thing. I second his exact same feeling.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app