Need help | FerrariChat

Need help

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by F12_CDR5, Dec 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Dear Ferraristas,

I’m hoping someone out there can provide me with a solution. Before that I have a good solution for those with an F12 reverse camera. My original one got busted and the dealer quoted me a replacement camera of USD 1650 not including labour. Obviously I was shocked but was considering changing it until a friend of mine suggested an alternative. I’m happy to report that the replacement one cost USD 220 and works perfectly. It also has the correct connections so it’s a simple plug and play. For those interested the unit is an Alpine HCE-200R Reverse Camera.

My real problem is in regards the fuel gauge and range which is not synchronising. I took the car for a very long drive. After filling up full tank the fuel gauge showed full 9 bars with a fuel range of 351 kms. After the drive the fuel gauge dropped by only 3 bars and the fuel range displayed 145 kms. I’m quite sure that the fuel gauge and range are not syncing correctly.

Based on some very rudimentary calculation 1 bar should equate to approx 39 km range. Based on this, if you follow the fuel gauge of 6 bars left, that should be 234 km range but the range shows 145 km left. I’m more inclined to follow the range which is correct I think. From my experience of using the car which I’ve had since new this was never the case. In fact she’s a hungry monster as far as fuel is concerned. Something’s definitely not right. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ait_z28 likes this.
  2. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Have you been driving more aggressively or more in town/stop start highway traffic recently?

My understanding is that the range computation is based on the most recent fuel consumption statistic that the car auto generates.

For this reason, in my FF, I will see c.400km range after putting a full tank in - and if I do a long highway run, I will have covered nearly 500km and still have 2 bars on the gauge and 100km range remaining at the point I refuel. If I hit stop start traffic close to the refuel point, my remaining range of 100-125km collapses to about 60-80km.

Having had to replace a burned out fuel pump due to ‘running dry’ (not by me), I start looking for fuel stops at the 150km range mark and try to refuel before the 100km range point or while I still have 2 bars on the gauge.

Wheels1 likes this.
  3. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You are correct Anopax, if I get in wife’s Volvo within 10 miles of me driving, the range increase a lot, the same is as you have said with the F12, it adjusts the range based on your recent driving, so if you drive hard it will half the distance or more in the range showing it has left in the tank.

4. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Thanks for your replies. My last run was quite a spirited drive averaging 210-240 km per hour. Really enjoyed the drive though. I always ensure that I refill when I’m down to 2 or 3 bars as I have read of problems. I will monitor the situation on stop/start driving and report.

5. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Great info on the camera replacement !
    can you share / do you have wiring diagram or picture of the connectors?
    Thank you

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

6. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Hi there,
    Sorry I don’t have pictures but it is a real big job of removing the rear bumper to gain access to the rear fog light where the camera is situated. The connector is a five pin one which slots nicely to the existing Ferrari cable so no modifications are necessary. The only bit of mod is removing a rubber washer which connects to a hole behind the rear bumper to stop any water creeping in. Hope this helps.

7. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    yes, it helps and thank you for your reply.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

8. F12_CDR5

F12_CDR5 Rookie

Feb 28, 2016
    Malaysia
    Full Name:
    S Siva
    Guys,

In regards my fuel issues above, I attach pictures of the fuel gauge with remaining range as well as mileage travelled. They’re in km. I’m sure you’ll agree that this isn’t right. Usually when I fill the tank, the range is around 350km. Then after some travel it starts getting wonky as reflected in the pics. Really hope someone can offer a solution.
    Thank you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login