car design thread | Page 451 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Agree w/ F.S., however, he comparing SUVS and Cars to a Pick Up. I'm intrigued by the performance and range of the triple motor truck as are other "truck guys",whether they may be Home Depot'ers, mtn bikers, or contractors. 500 miles of range, crazy 0-60 times, torque for days, and no $100 fill ups. Plus, probably will offer electricity for some power tools. So, the functionality is there. The following form? Well, it could certainly be improved upon as not a fan of the pyramid roof. It may also be a tad too large. But what F.S. fails to understand is that brutalism and machismo sells trucks. And, apparently, so does dystopia among Telsa fans. With that, Tesla managed to appeal to two large disparate buyer pools; traditional truck buyers and the teslarati.

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Mk II Designer??? Not Gordon Buehrig from Auburn Cord?????
    Heard it failed due to the price point.... way too expensive.

I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I'd ever seen as a kid.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not Mr. Buehrig. Lot's of politics on that car. Too expensive, introduced at the wrong time, etc.
    But still beautiful.

330 4HL and Tcar like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Great discussion on car design by Anders Warming (former BMW)

anunakki likes this.
  5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Is this a 'secret???? Am I pulling off a scab?
    Just checked Wiki; they list John Reinhart as the Mk II designer along with Buehrig. I think John came from Packard...maybe?

6. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, a money loser for Ford but it was intended as a Halo line above the normal Lincoln. According to an article by Hagerty the intended production was 2500 per year. Apparently part of the unfortunate timing also coincides with FoMoCo getting ready to become a public company.

During this same period Cadillac had the Eldorado Brougham which lost big money per car but they wanted to out halo Ford.

Reinhart is who is generally credited for the design. Buehrig was involve but with the engineering group.

jm2 likes this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, John Reinhardt was the principle designer. Mr. Buehrig, not so much. W.C.Ford was also ‘involved’ but Ford was not a designer.

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    FoMoCo was on the verge of going ‘public’. Senior mgt had a difficult time wondering how they would explain producing a car (MkII) that was losing so much money. They were also concerned with the economic state of the USA during that ‘57-‘58 timeframe with a severe recession looming. The launch of the Edsel couldn’t have been at a worse time.

10. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Link for the DeLaRossa interview. Look at page 70 & 71 for the portion on the Mark II.
    The Stylists (lincolnmarkv.com)

Stories about Ford management included that no program could get started until the selection of the fall guy was established.

jm2 likes this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    tritone likes this.
  13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    of2worlds, tritone and jm2 like this.
  14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....and that one will really come around on you if you're not careful!:D

energy88 likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    More on the Detroit Inst of Arts 'Style' exhibit.

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not a big fan of the anteater look, but I am warming up to the Enzo, but this car really looks like a supercar. Even the big wheels look right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Cadillac Design discussion on Cardesignnews.com

18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Make it Structural Blue and it would be perfect! :D

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Going back more than 50 years but I keep reading that Pete Brock claims he designed the Stingray race car. I was in Detroit at the time and I knew Larry Shinoda , who had drawings to prove he was the designer, i never heard Pete Brock's name mentioned. And to top it off Brock was only an intern at the time aged 19. Who would give an intern such a responsibility? I like Brock and his designs but seems like a stretch. Brock does have a drawing of a coupe, but I have seen many of Shinoda's drawings of '63 Corvettes stemming from the Stingray race car. Any old salts who remember?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's what Wikipedia says

Design and development[edit]

Construction of the Stingray racer started in a small space at GM informally called the "Hammer Room".[13][14] It was later moved to a slightly larger space that had once been Harley Earl's private file room.[6] The car is considered the first product of Mitchell's Studio X, a small internal design studio he used for special projects.[8][15] It also introduced what came to be called the "Folded Crease" style that became a hallmark of Mitchell's designs through the 1960s.[16]

The body was based on the Q-Corvette XP-96 convertible. Shinoda headed up the effort to revise the shape and fit it to the Corvette SS chassis with its 92 in (2,337 mm) wheelbase.[16][17]

The original body was made of 0.125 in (3.2 mm) fiberglass, with aluminum reinforcing and bonded in aluminum attachment hardware.[18] Initial dry weight is reported to have been 2,154 lb (977 kg), roughly 1,000 lb (450 kg) lighter than a 1960 production car.[18]

The car was complete in early 1959.[6] Mitchell then wanted to take the car racing, but was told that he would have to do it at his own expense, and that the car could not carry any badging that associated it in any way with GM, Chevrolet or the Corvette name.[17][7]

Motorsports

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Everybody wants to take credit for a success but nobody wants to take credit for a failure...

This 1963 Corvette prototype has a number of interesting details visible that didn't make it onto the production version >

horizontal trim on the back edge of the door
    3 over 3 vertical vents in the rear fender
    gas cap on the rear fender
    Corvette emblem on the rear deck that would become the gas lid door
    the most impressive detail is the hatchback design for the rear deck that was never used!

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, Pete Brock was indeed one of the authors of the Stingray. If you read this book, the entire history of the car is spelled out in detail. Yes he was probably the youngest designer to be lucky enough to have that kind of opportunity. Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Chuck Jordan did a discussion on this for one of the magazine, likely Collector Automobile. Shinoda had claiming all the credit for years and Chuck wanted to set the history straight. But, by the time his information was published Shinoda had just died; unintended bad timing.

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Every car has a 'story', some good, some bad, some sad.

Texas Forever and of2worlds like this.