Sticky heater buttons | FerrariChat

Sticky heater buttons

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, Dec 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The HVAC buttons in my 1987 US Spec 3.2 seem to be stuck or just not working. The "Off" and "A/C" buttons work as designed, but the "A/E" button seems to be stuck down and the Defroster button moves but nothing happens. Is this a common issue when these get old? I'm assuming taking it apart and cleaning and lubing everything would probably help, but I'm wondering just how big a job it is to get it out of the console. Any help would be appreciated!

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I believe it is a real odd assembly, so dont mess with it until you find out a bit more. There was a thread on here months ago about its odd construction.

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    it is pt no 61078600 for a left hand drive, if u can get one

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I bought a working unit to have on hand, just in case.... I’ve actually bought a bunch of spare parts to put on the shelf.
    I can tell you that this particular part is very complex. Ridiculous really.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

Im in mid interior redye on my 88. Yes the console removal is a bit convoluted and irritating but can be done. the whole plate coes out with allt he buttons attached and then you remove the swithces and stuff from the harness and could clean or replace.

6. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thanks guys. I saw an old post about a place that rebuilds them with metal guides to replace the plastic pieces, but I'm not sure they are still out there.
    If Ron tells me its ridiculously complex, consider myself convinced. Since I live in Florida, the A/C is really all I need, and it works, so I guess I'll leave well enough alone!

ronfrohock likes this.
  7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    have you checked ebay for used controls/switches always some there

8. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Did you check your vacuum tubes?

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you removed it and sprayed it with contact cleaner or wd 40 and worked the switches, it might wash the crap out and free it up

10. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Yes, so far the WD40 treatment is as far as I have progressed. Further examination probably after the holidays!

11. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    No, as I have yet to remove the switch from the console. Is there a vacuum connection directly to the switch, or does the switch power various vacuum actuators?