456 timing belts interval | FerrariChat

456 timing belts interval

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Okay so my car had timing belt service in late 2015 and new pulleys went on at that time as well. Here it is late 2020 already and the car has done 3500 miles since then. What is my timeline realistically for new belts to be needed?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    When you finish reading all the timing belt threads here then your change will be due !

tantumaude and Bluebottle like this.
  3. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Lol yeah well I thought I’d read that they changed the recommendation and extended it from 5 years but I wanted the latest word on it thus the new post. Apologies if that is uncouth

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I thought the recommendation was 5 years on the 575 and maybe on the 550 and 456 if some of the other parts had been updated to account for the new spec'd belts? Some of those historical threads are "eye opening".

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Officially the interval is 3 years for the 456s and 550s since Ferrari only did accelerated wear testing on the 575M. Realistically, all the cam drive parts including belts on later 456s, 456Ms, and 550s are identical to the 575, so five years is now the accepted interval for all our belt driven V12s from 456 through 612. Very early 456s had a different tensioner bracket which should be updated, but nearly all have had that done by now.

Fennicus likes this.
  6. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Maybe they extended it TO 5 years as it seems that it was 3 years which by all accounts is absurd. I have no reason to put it off really, but I think I’ll run it a year or two because I have confidence that my idlers, pulleys, tensioners and such are in good shape, so it’s just the belt in question and my climate is good for such parts life span. I’ve run plenty of belted cars 10+ years and never had one snap yet. And in fact the only cars I’ve ever even hear of snap are owned by people who don’t even consider oil changes.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    puckybadger likes this.
  8. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Well, several reasons actually. First, I wanted to know if the collective wisdom and/or factory was recommending more than 5 years at this point, and also because I don’t really like throwing away perfectly good parts. That bulletin makes it seem like they differentiate between early and later engines even though they use the same parts? So that’s curious. But it also seems that it’s still 3 years officially. So, sooner than later. I’m not trying to differ maint by any means, just been around enough timing belts to know that they don’t just snap because they are a few months out of interval.
    It’s also a place for people to remind me not to be a dumbass by quoting horror stories about belts left too long.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In 2021, you will be deferring service according to most Ferrari professionals. No big deal and those questions have been asked dozens of times.

10. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    It’s a discussion forum. That’s sort of the point. Won’t be the last time I discuss something already discussed so apologies in advance. You’re clearly annoyed by my comments, but at over 32 thousand posts maybe you’ve said things that weren’t really necessary too hmm?

11. michael1017

michael1017 Rookie

Nov 5, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Michael Hartung
    That’s clear and unequivocal.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    .... or it could be that Taz is the most helpful, dedicated and authorative person on this subforum (and you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who will disagree).

13. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I will be more careful in the future.