348 - Fuel pump replacement | Page 3 | FerrariChat

348 Fuel pump replacement

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #52 Ferrarium, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    The lines are about 7 inches long, so get 1 foot per line to allow for ocd on cuts. I bought 10 feet so I had it for spare. Yep dayco will work, NAPA also has thier own plastic line. It probably all comes from the same places with different branding.

As I mentioned I wound up finding OEM lines and having those arrive before the gates and fittings even thought I ordered them 2 days later so I put the 4 OEM lines in and just showed how to make the lines. I went ahead and made 2 after the one I did for the forum and out them in my parts boxes just in case. Definitely prefer the fabbed line over the stupid quick disconnect but I had no idea when the line, fittings and clamp kit would arrive and I got impatient and put the oem stuff in.

Feel so much better with new pump and sleeves in, I hate it when I am 100 miles from home and start thinking, "what if this fails, or that stops, or I get a CEL or gee I hope I don't loose a bank".

In fact I just may go ahead and put in the new Bosch MAFs and IAC I found scouring the planet instead of hoarding them and looking at them like the golden object in pulp fiction. :)

May have some spare NEW IAC's for people too, seems I would up with 5 new ones some how.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
    #53 F312PB, May 17, 2020
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Thanks for the answer, so to make the lines you don't need the Dorman Toll to insert lines on fittings (with no need of clamping as showed in a Youtube Dorman footage) but just hand slide lines on fittings and then clamp and seal them with Oetiker ear clamps neverthless fittings are barbed.
    Correct?
    And just to know, is this clamps kit https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/urr-hc102 suitable for the job as the Oetiker one?

Paolo

4. F312PB

F312PB Rookie

Aug 29, 2015
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    These Fittings https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220624b
    This Hose https://www.jegs.com/i/Gates/465/27093/10002/-1
    This Clamp Kit https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/urr-hc102

Squeeze on barb fitting, reuse existing banjo fitting and squeeze it on then clamp it with clamps. Just like I showed.

steved033 likes this.
  6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Great job, and way to go improvising!

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Seems since you've done this, the 133968 pipe is now NLA, what does the white end look like?

sjd

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Steve, not sure what the white end is, but on the first page you can see the OEM pipes #21 and on page 2 you can see what needs to be made #38. There is lots of room to change the hose routing if one fears sharp bends etc. While I was waiting for pipe parts and fittings I started dialing for dollars and one vendor had the 133967 pipes on the shelf and they arrived before I made the pipes so I went ahead and made them to demonstrate how to. By the time I did my pumps were already rebuilt. God they are a total mess. Incase the thread was not read onw of my pipe banjo fittings was finger loose meaning low fuel pressure then the ecu goes bonkers trying to adjust that and then the idle gets uneven and just sounds off. It purrs like a cat now.

If you hover over the camera icon next to the part number you can see them here.
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/Diagram/Ferrari/Mondial-t-Coupe-Cabriolet/012-Fuel-Pump-And-Pipes

Let me know of you need anything.

Qavion likes this.
  9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    1. 133967. you got the last two ever. I've already got the fittings and hose,etc.
    2. 133968. you apparently got the last two of those in your ricambi order. white end circled in blue. I have the parts to make this...but not the white end, methinks. ( I was actually just copying your order, and this part is NLA)

I haven't gotten much further than that, other than I made my ricambi order today, and i've got the summit and rock auto stuff.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #60 Ferrarium, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Ahh that end, it's a ribbed nipple that presses into a slot so return fuel flows under the pump for pickup. It snot even a tight fit. You can cut it out of your hose and reuse it. I cut mine out and saved them. You can just route the return line down there into that general area and put a large band clamp around the whole thing to hold it in place. There are many ways that you can engineer something to do what that did even if you don't use that original nipple in that hole. it's sole purpose is just to return fuel under the pump for efficiency instead of spraying it up at the top of the fuel tank or what not.

BTW I bought that same PVC plastic hose and your supposed to be able to boil it to expand and soften it to bend it or to put fittings in and I did that and even used a heat gun and no dice. The fuel safe hose I outlined is a better option and way easier to work with.

I would take the new hose and route it from the fitting around to the right and around the whole assembly and then down into the port then use a band clamp to old it in place. What actually holds that line in place is the vertical lip of the plastic that the hose clips into, the while plastic nipple just sits there in its hole held by the pre-bent line snapped in place. When you take it out and get to it you'll see what I mean.

The whole things is pretty easy to no, fuel pressure regulators and thermostat is worse, its just dealing with the fuel that's an issue. I had like 5 gal left, spilt fuel everywhere doing this. It's up there with draining radiators in the mess category.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

steved033 likes this.
  11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I figured on re-using it. I'm going to new hose and clamp both fittings. I'll take some pics when I get to it.

sjd

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    anyone following this thread needs to note the summit 220624b's are M10x1 thread. my plate is tapped at M10x1.25. I'm going to pull the orings off the old fittings and clamp straight to them with the 5/16 hose.

Qavion likes this.
  13. albagtp

albagtp Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2014
    Beach City
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Outstanding, anyone who thinks there car or one they are considering purchasing that does not have records of this being done are fooling themselves. Its not a bad job, just take your time and make sure your confident with the pressure hose replacement/ upgrade. I used an ultrasonic cleaner to cleaner all the parts.

steved033 likes this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    steved033 likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On mine the 3 arm start anti vibration pad at the bottom were completely disintegrated as well.

16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    man, I feel lucky. mine was gummy, but hadn't begun shedding tiny bits of rubber.

sjd

17. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    A348W, QSA and Qavion like this.
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Replace every o ring every time. I did mine if I missed it in the listing the apologies. That's a definite replace item.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app