Perez to Redbull, Albon becomes reserve driver | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Perez to Redbull, Albon becomes reserve driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nsd991, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Something the current Clone team ownership will never admit. The contrast between Vettel and Checo is apparent. One being released brings results, one brought excuses and a consistent lack of form and shows how not to leave a team.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The second team was there to give Honda more chassis to perform engine performance and lifetime analysis upon.

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Reconsider, please.

stavura, Picchu88, Simon^2 and 3 others like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You have a problem with me ?

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Is this true? Albon should be in that STR seat, and not the Red Bull.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Tsunoda will get the STR seat. Gasly reserve at Red Bull.

jpalmito, jgonzalesm6 and Remy Zero like this.
  7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Ah i meant about Perez and RB?

8. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    from what I've been told, yes.

jgonzalesm6 and Remy Zero like this.
  9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I do hope so. Albon has been a waste of seat.

nsxrebel, jgonzalesm6 and Bas like this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sources: Sergio Perez and Red Bull Agree On A 1 Year Deal, Albon To Stay As Third Wheel

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red Bull F1 Team, Sergio Perez and his sponsor Telcel have agreed on a one year deal, for the 2021 season, with options of a stronger cooperation starting in 2022.

I have independently confirmed with multiple sources working in the paddock, that Sergio Perez, Telcel and Red Bull Formula One Team have agreed to give the second drive of their top team to Sergio Perez, the most sought after free agent driver available for 2021.

So it does mean that even after a resurgence of positive results towards the back end of the season for Alex Albon, he loses his spot on the grid for the 2021 Formula 1 season. He finished just off the podium in Abu Dhabi with a solid fourth place, preceded by a sixth place at the Sakhir Grand Prix. It is expected that Albon will stay as Red Bull’s test, simulator and reserve driver. A role that could even see Albon have a few starts in a shared drive with Perez, if results are not meeting expectations.

Back to Sergio Perez, it is a one year agreement, with options on Red Bulls’ side for the 2022 season. Financial terms have not been disclosed, but it is expected that Telcel, Sergio Perez’s long time sponsor and Mexico’s third biggest communications conglomerate, will sponsor the Red Bull team starting in 2021. Sergio Perez will become Max Verstappen’s fourth teammate at Red Bull Racing team, after Daniel Riccardo, Pierre Gasly and Alex Albon.

An option is also envisioned for a deeper cooperation between the parties starting in 2022, an option that would resolve Red Bull’s biggest problem going forward. As it was announced earlier this year, Honda will be leaving Formula 1 after the 2022 season, and will not supply engines and power units to Red Bull F1 and Alpha Tauri. Red Bull have been exploring over the last few months the option to taking over the Honda Formula 1 engine factory in Milton Keynes, after Honda vacates the facility at the end of the 2021 season. The financial burden of such a venture, building their own Formula 1 engines for two teams, would be greatly reduced by a substantial sponsorship of the Mexican telecom giant in what could be a sponsored engine name, like Tag Heuer did to the Renault engine during a few seasons.

Sergio Perez will bring experience, consistency, and added resources to the Red Bull Formula 1 Team in their quest to beat Mercedes in the Constructor’s Championship in 2021.

https://sportspodcastingnetwork.com/2020/12/14/sources-sergio-perez-and-red-bull-agree-on-a-1-year-deal-albon-to-stay-as-third-wheel/

stavura, NeuroBeaker, ktu and 4 others like this.
  11. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That would be a big **** you to the Strolls.

stavura, nsxrebel, Nortonious and 4 others like this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    No way, Pierre is 1000/00 secure he has earned the seat ten times over.

Tsunoda will be his teammate as announced today.

jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Checko to Pappa Stroll-->"Hold my beer"

stavura, Thecadster, nsxrebel and 6 others like this.
  14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nice compliment to the Cans. Albonet0 seemed ill-equipped to handle Max’ pace and the never ending grind of comparisons made between age equivalent drivers. He was probably so stressed, he likely hoped his car would pop after watching Max build a huge difference 15 laps in rather than finish and be subjected to another round of “what was wrong out there” from all fronts.

None of this will affect Checo. Being a veteran, it’s already a given he’ll eat Max’ dust all year long and it won’t bother him or the team.. As we’ve seen for countless years, he’s deft on the car, almost invisible while scything through the field then notably capitalizing on his uncanny strength, the long game. He won’t get in Max’ way, won’t crash cars in qualifying and probably be on a different strategy than Max more often than not, allowing Red Bull a palette of options during a race. In short, he’s the ideal template for Max’ Number 2.

No worries he’ll be trying to show he’s WDC material or that he’s as quick as the Dutchman. He’ll run his race, make cagey calls and score far more points next year than anyone else in the seat.

stavura, ricksb, Bas and 6 others like this.
  15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Albon needs some mentoring - he clearly has the skill, and ability but needs to be in a more supportive environment. I think Putting Perez in is going to be a mistake. but time will tell.

simpen and Flavio_C like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Well said. Doing everything Vettel could not do to aid Ferrari vs Checo aiding Force Clone.

17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    merc-chat isn't working out?

stavura, 375+ and jpalmito like this.
  18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I don’t think F1 really allows for that with the limited testing available. What’s your take?

19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You nailed it.

Bas likes this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think RedBull is very uber cut throat. you are either in or out and they don't give young guys enough time to grow. Albon had a good car last year and this year the car was not to his liking... more for Verstappen..... who has been there a while, so he's been able to mold the team more. I think in then end this hurts the teams ability to have one good current driver and one that is developing....

kylec and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    If it turns out to be true that Perez goes to Red Bull, his driving this year has earned it, plain and simple. And RB needs two strong, crafty, and mature drivers because they cannot count on Honda's engines to give them any competitive advantage next year...more likely a bigger disadvantage compared to Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes. With hard work (and luck) Red Bull will make it even closer to Mercedes. But unless they get an engine that is capable of winning constantly, it will still be second place for them. I think 2021 will be Hamilton's last year...an 8th WDC or not. And I think Mercedes will bow out as well as a team, maybe only supplying engines for a couple years after that, while turning their attention on F-E.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sorry, I did mean Albon gets the reserve seat!:eek:

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull is a top team. Red Bull didn't ask Albon to beat Max. They asked for a not-unreasonable target of roughly 3 tenths to Max.

If you look at Albon's performance all year in percentage terms, he hasn't improved at all. That's the reason he's got the boot.

24. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

In the Red Bull stable, several home-grown drivers have already failed to match expectations, and have been ditched or relegated.
    This time, they went to an experienced driver, contrary to their philosophy, but what will happen if Perez doesn't meet their target?

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Perez has a 1 year contract. If he can't hack it, Gasly will probably get the nod again. Who knows what Tsunoda can do (ok haven't got my hopes high on him so far...decent in F2 but didn't set the world alight either). Red Bull remain a top team so it's not like they can't get a driver.

Some chap called Russell if he doesn't get the nod from Mercedes still...they can steal him.