Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Actual Driving Impressions/Thoughts

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by jumpinjohn, Nov 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have lots of opinions about the SF 90 and thoughts about other hybrids etc. But let’s try to hold this discussion to the main topic, We want to hear actual driving experiences in this thread please... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mhh likes this.
  2. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    My driving impressions, I had the opportunity to take it for a drive on a variety of mixed roads, next will be on the track.

The SF90 is an absolutely ridiculous machine, if this is the direction we are taking for the foreseeable future with our sports cars I am loving every bit of it, all hope isn’t lost.

It’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced before and I’ve owned and driven my share of exotics, the power seems infinite and relentless, there is no way you can get to the bottom of the power barrel on the street, there is zero lag and it does not feel like a turbocharged car, yes it doesn’t sound like an NA high-revving motor but the noises it makes are intoxicating and almost science fiction like, having said that I can see how some would want more noise, I am sure it will be louder with the sports exhaust if you select the Asseto Fiorano pack or an aftermarket solution, personally I am ok with the exhaust sound just the way it is.

The car is extremely sure footed and it’s very easy to drive, 1000 horses are so well harnessed that you can handle them with your finger tips but don’t get me wrong if you don’t give it the respect it deserves it will bite , first hard acceleration run I held the steering wheel a bit looser (did not expect the surge of power) and the front axle started to dance and buck like a possessed animal, I quickly had to back off settle it down and bring it under control haha, second push I made sure I was holding tight and the experience was quite special, this car accelerates like a super-bike but at the same time it’s very composed and not frightening, the suspension was a bit on the softer side when compared to my Performante but once again I think the AF suspension will behave quite differently due to its different suspension.

The power is simply intoxicating, linear and relentless, it seems infinite, it’s so well harnessed and in check that it makes you feel like a superhero, it’s a phenomenal experience and I am extremely happy that I purchased one, I can not wait for the delivery day.

Few things I really liked, the view over the front wheel arches and the fact that the dashboard seemed like it was wrapping around but it still felt quite low in order to provide very good forward visibility, the other thing I liked was the fact that the dead pedal (foot rest) is in the exact plane with the brake and the accelerator, I left foot brake and that made the transition from foot rest to brake pedal very easy without me having to lift my foot, I could just slide across, I loved that.
    I didn’t pay attention to anything else in the car, rear visibility, buttons, built quality etc. don't really interest me, it isn’t a S class.

The car is polar opposite from my Performante, they couldn’t be any different even if they tried (maybe they did LOL), unfortunately when I jumped back into the Performante it felt a bit agricultural haha old school but that’s absolutely fine because that’s the type of experience I also really love and wouldn’t go without, they both provide a different experience and they are both equally as exciting and enjoyable in their own way.

I don’t understand why people are hell bent on complaining when cars aren’t alike in terms of feeling and drivability, why not accept that there are different things out there which serve different purposes and offer different experiences for different people, just because you love steak not everything has to taste like steak, it’s like saying this cake taste nowhere near as good as the steak I had last night, makes no sense.

On a separate note, I should mention this, I know many are heaving a sook about the weight, it might be heavy on paper but in real life that means nothing because it does not feel heavy at all, it actually feels just as light as my Performante does.

In the current crop of cars available for sale in this price bracket or even above there is nothing that touches this car, to me it’s in a category of its own, no other manufacturer has a product to run directly against it, not yet anyway.

I tried to make a direct comparison and look for parallels, in terms of character and overall package not necessarily performance, what you get with a SVJ for example you can not find in the SF90 and vice versa, the SF90 doesn’t have a setting to turn it into the wild raw animal the SVJ is even the Performante and I am sure the upcoming STO or into something with a racier character such as the GT3 or the GT3RS, the SF90 is almost the polar opposite of those.

I am sure it’s because that’s not the direction Ferrari wanted to take with this car at this point in time, the only thing which the SF90 has in common with the Aventador range for example it’s pretty much the price bracket, probably Ferrari wanted to cut Lamborghini’s lunch with the SF90 by going after the Aventador price bracket but I think that was a futile effort because IMO they are polar opposites and I wouldn’t cross shop them.

You could cross shop a Pista with a Turbo S, F8, 765LT even Huracan etc because they are fairly close in character but you wouldn’t cross shop the SF90 against them because it sits in a class of its own, the other manufactures, if they want to to compete will have to populate that class with their own models because at this stage they have nothing to throw an Ferrari when it comes to SF90, also those who say but my Pista, F8 etc. it’s almost the same, stop it, it isn’t LOL, obviously this is all IMO

Those who say they hate the car, some even without seeing it IRL or test driving, must have rocks in their head, definitely bias and not necessarily car enthusiasts, I give you the looks because that subjective but there is zero chance anyone would get behind the wheel of this car or even in the passenger seat and not be very impressed by the experience, not if you are into cars anyway.

IMO I don’t think there was a better time to be a sports car enthusiast, imagine being able to buy a 1000 HP beast you can take grocery shopping, that was unfathomable 10 years ago, those who ordered one I am pretty sure will have a ball in it.

3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Thanks !!

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great review Fortis. You were lucky to drive it on the road. I wish I had as my track-only drive didn’t give me enough road feel to compare with other cars. Your review gives me the confidence to lock in my order.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Great review congrats! When will it arrive?

6. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    I can imagine how you wouldn’t be able to have the full experience on the track, this isn’t necessarily a track car, IMO it’s a gentlemen’s car, ballistically fast but at the same time you can take your wife to the theater in it, it doesn’t have ridiculously high wings and it isn’t obnoxiously loud or in your face, perfect sports car from that POV, for the opposite of that I’ve ordered the STO

I’ve tested it on fast straights, few twisties, roundabouts, highway, city, various mods, etc. long extended comfortable drive.

I will say one more thing, it didn’t corner as flat as the Performante in tighter corners, I went trough a fairly tight left turn immediately followed by a tight right turn and I felt a bit more body roll from side to side, it didn’t rotate quite as flat but that could’ve also been down to the suspension setting it was in at the time also I didn’t want to be very aggressive with it on the street, not very familiar with it yet etc.
    I expect the Asseto Fiorano to sharpen things up a bit when it comes to suspension and sound.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  7. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Thank you, I was told late 2021, I’ve changed my coupe order to a Spyder and that’s pushed it further towards the end of 2012 :(

8. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the extensive review and what a fun car it sounds like! I’m with you on the spyder and depending upon how 2021 goes, would like to place an order about 1 year from now...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    2021 for a Spider? I'm told mid to late 2022 here in Europe as Spider production follows Stradale production. Can't see how your dealer can deliver a Spider in 2021.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. waynelawson

waynelawson Rookie

Nov 20, 2016
    UK
    I am also told that Uk spider cars will commence 2022.

11. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    #86 Fortis, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    The dealer initially told me that the Spyder will be delivered 2022, I then told them that I will stick with the coupe 1st which I had on order from the very begining and order a Spyder for late 2022 and swap the coupe for, so we were going with that strategy, few weeks later I got a call and was told that they can get me a very late 2021 Spyder delivery and I should revert from doing the coupe followed by the Spyder.

That’s the feedback I got from the dealer, now let’s see what they deliver, with the way the world is going at the moment nothing is really guaranteed but at this stage that’s where I am at.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Anything is possible I guess. Time will tell.

By the way, how would you rate the comfort of the SF90 suspension between a Pista and F8? Those two are very different in suspension firmness, so wondering where the SF90 fits.

Look at it this way. If a Pista in Race is 10 in firmness and an F8 in bumpy road mode is 1, where do you rate the SF90 in its various suspension settings?

PS. You have been spending too much time with Lamborghini. It is Spider here in Ferrari-land:D

D11, Caeruleus11 and jpalmito like this.
  13. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Guilty as charged my last F car was a F355 quite a long time ago, since then there were quite a few Lamborghinis, I will make sure to use Spider going forward.

To answer your question, unfortunately my only point of reference would be F8 on a race track I have no experience with a Pista so I am afraid I am not much help from that regard, I can’t remember what suspension settings I had the F8 on the track either , I do remember that the SF90 was in race mode but I did not pay attention to the suspension settings, another habit from Lamborghini I guess, the suspension can’t be separately adjusted, it changes with the driving modes so instinctively I think that once you switch to a racier driving mode the suspension will follow suit, sorry couldn’t be of more help.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you for the driving impressions. The Ferrari will also change with the driving modes, they have a button for bumpy roads that will make the dampers less firm so you can be in a more aggressive mode but still retain a relatively compliant ride. I'm wondering if you will order the Fiorano pack or stick with the standard setup?

15. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    My pleasure, not an expert by any means but still everyone’s option helps to paint a more complete picture.

I always prefer the race spec cars so I tend to go for them, for me AF pack is a must so that’s what I’ve ordered, I like how it alters the look and I do want the firmer suspension, I am not sure TBH if AF has a bumpy road mode perhaps not, it really doesn’t worry me because I am not looking for comfort :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    AF does not have a variable damping for the modes like the standard car. It is not available with lifter either.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    No radio either.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Buddy are you certain about no radio with the AF pack? This is the first I hear of it. I agree the AF pack looks great and I like the idea of a little lighter car. But the big curiosity is the multimatic suspension. I want to learn more about it. I do know as Il Co-Pilota says it does not feature user control over the suspension including bumpy road button and neither does it feature the lifter.

19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    No not certain I read it in one article but I can’t find any confirmation.

I retract my statement.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Texted my dealer and this is what she said about if the AS prevented you from getting a radio.

“No, only from getting the suspension lifter or AFS.”

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Exactly.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  22. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    Thank you, I was aware of the lack of front lift, not a major concern but didn’t know about the variable damping modes, it does make sense because of the type of dampers used, once again I have no issues with that.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Does the AF have a magnetic suspension? I believe I read that. I wouldn’t worry about bumpy road if that’s the case. The modern magnetic suspensions are amazing.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would worry. What if it is so hard that it makes the car nervous and loose on normal roads? This is one thing I did not care for in my GT3RS. On normal roads there's a limit where a hard suspension starts having a negative effect because roads rarely are as smooth as tracks and you drive slower. Just look at a race car set up for the Nordschleife. A fast race car is a smooth car. As an example, we can look at a GT3RS or 2RS set up for a track as rough and uneven as the Nordschleife. When Manthey do a Ring setup on a GT3RS or the record breaking GT2RS MR, they actually make the car quite a bit softer in the suspension compared to OE. The Ring is actually a pretty good measure for a setup that is fast on the road, and a GP style track setup is not very good on the road.

My point is just that a Magneride style suspension is absolutely no guarantee for a car that is smooth on the road it can be extremely hard and demand a smooth track if that is what the setup calls for.

Also, remember that the springs used are titanium. If you have a steel and ti spring with equal spring rate, the ti spring will have a higher resonant frequency and need a harder damper. The result is that a ti spring will feel quite a bit harder, even with the same rate. And if the ti spring has a higher spring rate, then that setup will be a lot firmer.

When I was in Maranello back in Feb configuring, I asked about it compared to a Pista. I was then told that it would ride quite a bit firmer than a Pista and the ground clearance would be at least like a GT3RS. Francesca was very up front about advising me against AF if it was mainly a road car.
    For me, a car as low as the GT3RS without a lifter is a deal breaker. I never use it on the Pista or 488, but back in 2019 when my GT3RS lifter did not work for a month, that was a proper pain.

I haven't driven an AF car, but this is what I was told. And this is my take on it.

D11, Caeruleus11 and ScrappyB like this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent thoughts. The only counter thought I can say is Ferrari has been very good at making sure they don't make their cars so extreme as they would be unsuitable for many of their clients. I would like to know more about the AF suspension.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.