Best duster | FerrariChat

Best duster

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by VG221, Oct 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VG221

VG221 Rookie

Sep 20, 2018
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Vito Garofalo
    Can anyone recommend a good duster for light dusting while my car spends the winter in the garage?

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I totally agree with Flash32 assessment. I believe that using a Duster was the root cause of swril marks in the paint of my previous 360 Spider. Since switching to a Rinseless wash product that I use for light cleaning I have not seen any swril marks in my new (to me) 458 Spider.

flash32 likes this.
  4. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    ShadowLAP likes this.
  5. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
  6. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good question! IMHO, if you want to use a duster, a premium Ostrich feather duster does the best job at removing dust particles. They are used extensively by automotive manufacturers around the world prior to painting a car. Ferrari also uses them for this purpose, IIRC.

Part of the answer lies in what type of particles you are trying to remove. If the car was washed and put in a car park for storage during the inclement weather months, the dust particles (baring any hobby activity in the same space like woodworking, metal working etc) should be easy to remove.

I would always blow it off first (before using the Ostrich feather tip duster) using filtered air if possible. Side note: If you’re using a traditional air compressor that is oil cooled and lubed, a teensy tiny amount of aerosolised oil may enter the air stream. This micronised oil will settle on the car as you blow it off, which will attract more dust...

Therefore, if you want to blow it off, use a filter in the line to remove any impurities before the air leaves the gun tip. I would also lower the output pressure quite a bit so the air reaching the paint surface is at a very low pressure. You don’t need much pressure to blow off loose dust. Then use the Ostrich duster. Only allow the tips of the feathers to touch the surface of the paint (tips perpendicular to paint surface at all times).

Note: Do not use a regular feather duster like house cleaners use. I’m referring only to a premium Ostrich plume feather duster. It will set you back a fair few quid/dollars vs the ultra cheap chicken/turkey feather type of duster. Price varies with where the Ostrich feather comes from on the birds body.

Cheers!

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I would suggest that you place your car in one of these so that the dust doesn’t get on the car to begin with! Also a great way to banish condensation while the car sits over the winter. Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShadowLAP likes this.
  8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I use ostrich dusters and a Makita cordless leaf blower which has a short 9" nozzle that is great for dusting a car (a longer nozzle is also offered).

9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your post... I have one of those Makita cordless blowers and use it frequently on various jobs. It has a variable speed control, so you can throttle it back for a soft air stream. It’s great to find new uses for tools!

For dusting, I typically use my 10hp air compressor with a multi stage air filter/dryer system. I have tons of air tools, so that’s my usual go to for air needs. For delicate dusting, I use an Iwata airbrush (air only) with a variable volume controller.

It’s very easy to control with pinpoint precision on delicate surfaces and it’s very comfortable to use for extended periods of time.

Cheers!

10. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    the california car duster is the best as i've used all the others

11. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    458 Spider 0414 likes this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I would recommend driving your car. This seems to keep the dust off of it. I used the california duster and thought it was great but it does leave swirl marks. If you have a clear bra on it that's less of a problem. or keep a car cover over it.

13. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    So does she

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have the car detailed and then just cover with light bed sheets so you don't stretch a cover on/off the paint. I've never actually put a cloth or towel to the paint only micro-fiber wash mitts during the wash. With a sheet over the hood you can also just pull up over the door to access the inside without dragging a cover off the side of the car. The inflatable bubbles are great but there's some debate online about humidity.