Used Pista or new F8 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Used Pista or new F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chasing Ferrari, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Used Pista or New F8 if the price is the same

1. Pista

83.8%
  2. F8

16.2%
  1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am sorry, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, all McLaren interiors, up to date, including the 765 LT, leave a lot to desire. Can't compare to any other car in their league. Even Porsche, Mercedes and Audis have better looking interiors. We can agree to disagree on this one. Nothing personal.

Igor Ound likes this.
  2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #127 Igor Ound, Dec 17, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    They just had to sell another third of the racing side to keep the automotive one alive and still need to raise the same money again 3 times over. If the products were so good they wouldn’t be in this position

x z8 likes this.
  3. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Before you spout misinformation you may actually want to do a little research. We know you hate the brand but you really shine on this one. Mclaren racing and Mclaren automotive are separate entities. Mclaren automotive which makes the cars generates money to help fund Mclaren racing. Since Mclaren automotive had financial difficulties due to covid (even Ferrari was down 42% on net revenue due to covid) Mclaren racing needed funding to keep them going. The capital raised by Mclaren racing is going to Formula 1 and NOT to keep Mclaren automotive going. It has nothing to do with keeping mclaren automotive alive. You do realize that Mclaren automotive has been in existence for only 10 years since 2010?? How was Ferrari doing after 10 years in operation. Igor try to broaden your horizon a little bit and explore some other brands. Also, exactly what cars do you actually own again?

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

Coincid and mkraft3003 like this.
  5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    These complaints came from ACTUAL owners on the Mclaren forum I’m not just making this up!

I’m not a Mclaren hater I would love to have a 720 spider. That car is amazing and I love that they use a carbon tub.

GT2goneF and Napoli like this.
  6. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Speciale or preferably Aperta would get my real vote but out of those two definitely the Pista

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. Marc Meno

Marc Meno Rookie

Nov 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I bought f8 with electric seats. I test drove the pista And decide on the f8 because the car is more comfortable and I wanted a car I can drive 3 or 4 times a week

8. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini

9. Marco Calzini

Marco Calzini Rookie

Feb 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco Calzini
    Is this a real question? The Pista is next level and better in every way!

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  10. victorg

victorg Rookie

May 2, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor Gonzalez
    I have a Pista Spider, I've driven the F8 and the Pista is superior to the F8 in all aspects except as a daily driver, the Pista should hold better value, a good compromise between the two would be an F12 or an 812, both are fantastic daily drivers AND perform wonderfully at the track. Happy shopping!

11. 2ferrariowner

2ferrariowner Rookie

Oct 17, 2008
    Tampa,Florida
    Full Name:
    Dan Diaco
    I owned a Scuderia (and others) and loved it. Drove the 458 Speciale and wasn’t impressed. I had a deposit on an F8 and drove both the F8 and the F8 spider. After I drove the Pista, I pulled my deposit off the F8 and bought it. Best car I have ever owned. Get the Pista!

By the way, my McLaren 675LT was fun to drive...but had 35 service visits in a little over 3 years. Worst ownership experience ever. Was happy to lose $200,000 to get that pimple off my ass!

x z8, Caeruleus11 and MANDALAY like this.
  12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I feel exactly the same way you do about it. In addition to a few other things, that made me select the F8 over the Pista. I also selected power seats.

Drson likes this.
  13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I struggled with this question for a long time, ultimately I chose and ordered a heavily optioned F8. To me the F8 is a better looking car although I do really appreciate the Pista styling, the F8 is just extremely well designed and more modern to me in a lot of ways, the Pista feels old to me now. Additionally the Pista interior is just way to dated, its a leftover from the 458 era and once I had a chance to really take in the new interior of the F8 I was sold. performance wise, outside of extreme track use, the cars will be, for the most part, identical.

You should chose the car that speaks to you emotionally. The Pista will be more raw (boy racer), and trust me I love that, I owned a Scud and I now I have a CS, (LOVE the CS). You should drive both and see how you feel.

As for resale, unlike the lightweight cars of the past (CS, Scud, Speciale) they are not doing a limited edition run, but 2 years of production on the Pista, that is why I have seen a few cars sell below sticker. In the past when the lightweights hit the market they were going for over sticker, now they are selling at sticker, or slightly above, just like the F8's that are being sold secondhand now. Dupont has 3+ pages of Pistas for sale, its a buyers market on these cars, so I would not chose the Pista on resale, I think it will hold its value the same as the F8 as a percentage of original MSRP. I think Ferrari will not do this again with the next lightweight, i do believe it will be limited.

No offense to Pista owners, these are the reasons I personally chose the F8, and at the end of the day maybe there is no right answer, they are both SICK cars, and they both speak to me in different ways.

Enjoy the journey...

14. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    GT2goneF likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looks like you mugged yourself then. Badly. Options on a std production car rarely return any value at all.

16. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Nicely optioned? You may want to look again. It is a bare bones Pista and I think the MSRP is around 380k. The stripe is a decal and very little carbon on it.

17. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I am correcting myself. It looks to be close to $373k MSRP and they are asking 35k over.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #144 Shadowfax, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Agree hardly highly optioned........yet no less streetable than F8.

When anyone starts referring to the term daily driver they need to add a bit of context to that, as an F8 is hardly car you can park anywhere least of all drive anywhere without drawing equal attention to a Pista. Yet a Pista in the same context is equally "daily driveable". This is the dilemma. Both are equally as useless as one another as cars you can run errands in and leave parked for hours down town or at the local suburban supermarket let alone rock up at the office or to a clients in. As a car for an event or special drive - which gives some form of decent driver engagement- the Pista is it out of these two, and, by a long shot.

19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    And for sake of clarity when I say drive the same, its in reference to your statement suggesting that this car will be a bit of a daily driver, so scooting down the road I do not think is the deciding factor for you. Additionally, not looking for a fight, this is Ferrari Chat, and I am doing just that, sharing my personal opinions, its not Ferrari fight...

GT2goneF likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I seriously wouldn't worry about egor least of all try to educate him. You'd get more out of talking to a post. Just as well he keeps a role of toilet paper in his pocket to wipe his mouth with.

mkraft3003 likes this.
  21. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am not concerned with resale on the cars I spec and purchase, I like to build the cars that I enjoy to look at and sit in and drive, cost aside.

GT2goneF likes this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #148 Shadowfax, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Who is until the time comes. So many buy to keep but how long does that last. Let me see. About as long as it takes for the next production model release. We all buy to use and drive with best intentions but with a Ferrari there are limitations to the use and it doesn't take too long to figure that out once its sitting in your garage. Exactly why Ferrari owners own multiple cars usually.

So I'm heading into office or downtown. I wonder which keys i'm gonna pick up? I can safely say it wont be the Ferrari keys.;) Or im going to the supermarket to get some supplies or taking a run into the office to check on things. Now am i gonna take the Ferrari? Umm nope. So it comes down to what is actually good for again? I know what it's good for and usual duties is not one of those things. Now mention the word track, or mountain pass, orrr say one of my favorite back roads or a run with the boys in their toys then that's where the keys can come in handy ! The Ferrari keys that is ;) But then the hard question gets asked is the Ferrari as engaging to drive as the other toys? Hmm. Now that can change the game again.

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I drive my Ferrari's to work and I work in Manhattan.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I can drive any of my cars into work as I own the joint but do I really want to do that just because I can? Nah. But I hope it works out well for those who do. And I truly mean that.