Fuel Injection for 330GT V-12? | FerrariChat

Fuel Injection for 330GT V-12?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Polpot, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Polpot

Polpot Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    #1 Polpot, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Anyone know if there is a fuel injection system that can be used on a V-2 from a 330GT (64). I want to remove the carbs and replace with fuel injection and electronic ignition to make the car easier to drive in varying weather and on long trips. I want to put a few thousand miles on it beginning in the spring in a cross country trip for fun from Florida to California and back...over a few month time frame.

2. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I can be done but won't be cheap. Webers replaced by TWM or Jenvey throttle bodies. EFI pump and lines, an ECU, tuning, etc.

3. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I've been a 330 owner for 40+ years, there is a kit to replace the points with an electronic ignition system. I never heard of a kit to replace the 3 Weber carbs with fuel injection. The 330 P racing cars had fuel injection, so some design work does exist, but it's questionable if this would work on a road car. If you want fuel injection you would have to do all the prototype work yourself at considerable expense.

4. Polpot

Polpot Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    Thanks...this is very helpful. Agreed not cheap...but probably cheaper than dealing with carbs over such a trip....

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    There's no reason why it couldn't go cross country on carbs. Sure efi is more adaptable in terms of temp and elevation but has it's own set of complexities that could also leave you stranded.

afterburner and 2NA like this.
  6. Polpot

Polpot Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    I have deliberated that quite a bit. The longest trip I have made so far is about 400 miles in one day. As long as the temps were under 80 all was OK..but in the heat of a Florida day at high temps the carbs started acting up. In the evening when temps dropped it ran perfect again on the way home. I just fear being in West Texas or Arizona and being left high and dry. My biggest fear is the "wife" who will be worse than an carb problems that I encounter.

7. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    In hot weather I always turn on the electric fuel pump. It helps somewhat. At moderate speeds the engine compartment gets quite hot reducing the performance of the mechanical fuel pump. Your concern might be more of a fuel supply problem than a carb problem.

Polpot likes this.
  8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Carbs are NOT a reliability issue unless the owner insists on fiddling with them after they are properly set up. The issue of possible vapor lock with extreme heat can be dealt with using the starting electric pump. Conversion to electronic ignition has been around for years and should be relatively inexpensive and reliable.

afterburner, 020147 and Rifledriver like this.
  9. Polpot

Polpot Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    Thanks...I will try that next heat spell.

10. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    As previously suggested, I strongly agree your problem sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Even though my mechanical pump is functional I continually run the electric pump in all conditions. I run a separately switched modern pump in line with the original click click click Fispa,

Kudos to your desire to drive cross country, I want to do that too, so does my car!

Tom in hot Southern Ca. We have mountains too! Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason and Polpot like this.
  11. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    If your objective is to convert it into a car with 21st Century driveability, you will likely be disappointed. Add-on fuel injection, isn't the same as the engine-management system that cars have now. Electronic ignition can easily be done, and is recommended. Beyond that, properly functioning carburettors and fuel pump(s) can be quite trouble free. The issue is commonly finding someone that remembers how to make them work right, and using quality rebuild kits. Some of the parts available are of questionable quality. Don't ignore the rest of the systems either. Charging and cooling systems are important contributors to reliability and are just as likely to leave you stranded somewhere as a flooding carb or failed fuel pump.
    I'll give you the same disclaimer that I give new clients: "Don't confuse an old Italian car with transportation". That said, a cross-country trip like you are proposing will be something you'll remember always. Hopefully, for the good times. :)

12. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you think the mechanical fuel pump is lacking performance, you should look at the stroke of the push rod to ensure full stroke is being achieved since many of these early cars had slightly different setups and spacer blocks for the fuel pump.

Other aspects are to check fuel pressure before the carbs to ensure you have 3-4 PSI. I think 5 is max for Webers.

BigTex likes this.
  13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I would take a look at the one way check valves in the pump as well.

14. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    For my 330 the FISPA fuel pump was rebuilt with the FAF rebuild kit - all new check valves, new diaphragm, and the original spacer block. All the FAF parts were identical to the OEM pieces. The FAF kit is no longer available, and I don't know if another kit is available today. I really don't think the mechanical pump is the issue as I don't have any problems driving in cool weather. This is why I believe a hot engine compartment negatively affects the mechanical fuel pump and its associated fuel lines. The electric fuel pump feeds the carbs from the firewall with only a short fuel line in the engine compartment.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Maybe think about a fuel by-pass system? Over feed the carbs with a bigger electric pump, fuel pressure regulator and return line back to fuel tank.

16. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    My 330 does have a return fuel line. The FISPA fuel filter is also a pressure regulator. It seems Ferrari did try to adress all the potential problems with a hot engine compartment. As discussed above, hot weather does cause problems if the electric fuel pump is not used.

17. Polpot

Polpot Rookie

Mar 11, 2017
    All of the comments have been very helpful and are making me rethink what my "real" issues have been. Time to start from ground zero and work my way toward a solution...the one good thing I can say about the pandemic...I have the time to tinker....

18. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    I found this pictures years ago. I think, here on f-chat.

I sureley would be interesting to put an EFI on an old Ferrari, but in my opinion, the craburettors are a must for the correct feeling.

Be sure to get the carbs adjusted correctly by someone who really knows, what he does. It can transform a car significantly. Also, get the ignition checked and put in good spark plugs. I have the experience, that the old Ferrari suggestions are to cold. Others might give you some suggestions, as I can´t give them for a 330.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Instead of spending $20,000+ putting fuel injection on the engine, why don't you get a competent mechanic who is familiar with Ferrari's to sort the car out. Its got to be a lot cheaper to sort out the fuel system then reengineer it. I do this stuff all the time, just my 2 cents.

20. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Have the carbs been cleaned and adjusted correctly (float height, jets, fuel pressure, accelerator pump diaphragms, etc)?

21. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    To wrap up this thread, the electronic ignition kit is PerTronix MR-1122A. For everyday driving, the next hotter spark plug Champion N-7Y (RN-7Y) is a better option.

22. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    To wrap up this thread, the electronic ignition kit is PerTronix MR-1122A. For everyday driving, the next hotter spark plug Champion N-7Y (RN-7Y) is a better option. Several companies have the rebuild kit for the FISPA SUP 150 mechanical fuel pump. When Ferrari upgraded the 330 GTC to the 365 GTC, they replaced the mechanical fuel pump with 2 electric fuel pumps. It seems they became awrare that the hot engine compartment had a negative effect on the mechanical pump.

JL350 likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Out of curiosity where were the 2 electric pumps? One in tank and one in line?

24. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    INTMD8 likes this.
  25. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    Yes, the 365 update to the 330 GTC operating manual states 2 Bendix pumps are installed in the rear of the car and the "diaphragm" pump is eliminated.