Early 355 Engines | FerrariChat

Early 355 Engines

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by zstyle, Dec 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    My engine number is 38088 and does not have them. I thought just Challenge cars got those but not sure.

As for other early vs later 2.7 differences, I've read larger intake ports (that sometimes resulted in cracking/coolant leaks) and lighter pistons.

brian.s likes this.
  3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I've seen 2.7 cars that had the back plates, but I'm not aware of when the change was made. It's kind of a "belt & suspenders" approach to protecting the belts. Not really necessary unless the one in a million piece of debris somehow finds it's way in there. I've only ever seen a timing belt damaged by debris one time. It was someone here, many years ago, that did belts I think on a 308, and left a washer where it could drop onto the belt. It made a nice circular cutout, but didn't actually sever the belt. Fortunately he heard a noise and checked it before real damage was done.

brian.s likes this.
  4. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    The parts book on the 2.7 cars show them on the belt covers. They do not show in the 5.2 book. Somebody doing a service on the car probably forgot to put them back. hope that helps

Steve Magnusson likes this.
  5. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have performed major services on many 355s. I have never had a street car with the rear cam belt covers. I am not saying it wasn't on some, I am saying it wasn't on all early cars.
    All of the Challenge kits came with rear cam cover plates for the engines. But as the cars were converted street cars, you had to add the covers.
    On another note, very early 355s {before #38150) had different spark plug covers and multiply gaskets. I have only worked on one of those early engines.

Llenroc likes this.
  6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern