For Sale - Four Hundred Club: Enzo and Barchetta Arrive in Arizona | FerrariChat

For Sale Four Hundred Club: Enzo and Barchetta Arrive in Arizona

Discussion in 'Cars' started by RMSotheby's, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RMSotheby's

RMSotheby's Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    RM Sotheby's
    #1 RMSotheby's, Dec 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
    Tribute models are difficult exercises; tough to execute perfectly. And when a brand names an all-new car after one of its all-time greatest hits—or even trickier, its founder—you can be certain the modern model has passed through all levels of committee, scrutineering every detail, to make sure the finished product lives up to expectations. The world has yet to see a Bugatti Ettore, for instance. Or a Ford Henry. And yet RM Sotheby’s Arizona auction will feature a Ferrari Enzo and a Barchetta by Pininfarina to boot.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2003 Ferrari Enzo
    Estimate: $2,250,000 - $2,500,000

When Ferrari decided in early 2002 to build a car named for its founder, the task must have seemed monumental. After all, they were effectively making the follow-up flagship to the F50, a car still renowned today for its expressive engine note. The new Enzo needed to complete the trilogy began with the F40, a car which famously bore the fingerprint of the founder himself – the last sports car that Enzo Ferrari himself had a hand in building.

The fact that Ferrari engineers managed to live up to the expectations set by their own nameplate is a testament to the women and men who make the prancing horse as much or more a viable maker of road and race cars today than they were when Enzo founded the company seven decades ago. Under the design leadership of Ken Okuyama of Pininfarina, the Enzo successfully merged F1 technology with Ferrari’s signature sports car performance. Holding the road car record at Ferrari’s Fiorano circuit from its debut in 2003 until 2017, the Enzo earned fourth place on MotorTrend’s top ten Ferraris of all time.

Even at the time, Ferrari’s loyal customers knew the Enzo was something special. Intense demand first pushed Ferrari from a planned production of 349 examples to a total of 399. And then, one final Enzo – the four hundredth – was built as a gift to Pope John Paul II (this divine Enzo was later auctioned for charity by RM Sotheby’s in 2015).

Some estimates indicate that Ferrari initially intended to paint 20% of all the Enzos produced in Giallo Modena. It is unclear exactly how many were built, though the devoted scholars on the forums of FerrariChat.com are on the case, tallying the total number of known Enzos in every color. One post counted 26 in yellow, another singled it down to one known North American Enzo. In any event, this striking example is one of a minority of examples of Ferrari’s namesake hypercar not delivered in red.

In fact, this particular example sported such a striking color scheme that it was chosen by none other than Car and Driver Magazine to put on the cover of their July 2003 issue. As the entire allotment of Enzos were spoken for, Ferrari did not build or provide press cars to the major magazines, so this customer car had to represent the prancing horse against rivals like the Ford GT and Lamborghini Murciélago. In his detailed road test, noted automotive journalist Aaron Robinson praised this Enzo’s direct steering, saying at one point that it offered “easy, high-volume adrenaline.” A standout example.

2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta Pininfarina
    Estimate: $300,000 - $350,000

Also wearing a tasteful color, a metallic shade Ferrari calls Argento Nurburgring, this twelve-cylinder, turn-of-the-century sports car is a tribute to the sports-touring cars that built the brand in the 1950s. Barchetta, naturally, is Italian for “little boat,” denoting the open-top nature of the experience, almost like a low-slung powerboat. Fitting in with the nautical theme, the already-crisp silhouette of the Ferrari 550 is somehow made even more elegant, with the subtraction of a folding convertible top and the addition of two buttresses behind the passenger and driver’s seats. Like all Barchettas, this was intended for pleasurable cruising in pleasant weather; like all Ferrari sports cars with that nautical name, if this car was a boat, the beltline (just above the door handles) would be where the Barchetta sits in the water. Unquestionably a speedboat—in other words, unmistakably Ferrari.

Released just after the turn of the millennium, before the Enzo was announced, the Barchetta also bears the name of Ferrari’s most famous collaborator and longtime coachbuilder, Pininfarina. With a lineage that includes the 212/225 Barchetta that Enzo Ferrari reportedly sent to Henry Ford II as a birthday present in 1952, this modern 550 Barchetta also lacks a formal roof, instead opting for a stretching canvas affair that owners would have to assemble in inclement weather (EVO Magazine founder Harry Metcalfe, who owned a 550 Barchetta for years, shows how the roof fits into the massive trunk area). Surprisingly, for such a seemingly impractical car, the 550 Barchetta features a generous storage area for luggage; some report nearly double the storage capacity of the standard Ferrari 550.

Finally, being a limited-edition Ferrari, the number built was of critical importance. Like all modern cars, this Ferrari was sold to a global audience, so the number in question had to satisfy all markets. Unfortunately, like with the Enzo, the number that Ferrari initially chose (444 units) proved to be unsatisfactory. Superstition was the problem; specifically, tetraphobia. For those who don’t know, tetraphobia means “fear of the number four,” a widely held belief in many countries. So, Ferrari increased their planned production to 448 in total, a much more numerically pleasing figure.

Whether your preferred “four hundred club” Ferrari is wearing Giallo Modena or Argento Nurburgring; whether it derives its name from one of the greatest roadsters to wear the prancing horse badge or from the man himself, a collector cannot go wrong with a limited-edition Ferrari. Bidding closes on both Enzo and Barchetta on 22 January at RM Sotheby’s 2021 Arizona auction.

2. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    Only time I ever skipped high school was to see this Enzo be delivered from Horseless Carriage in 2003 (I believe the B. Rapp car is the only yellow/cuoio, not to be confused with only one yellow Enzo...).

Funny thing, he was mad that the interior color was ordered wrong when it came in, but happy to hear that Schumacher had this same interior in his Enzo. Years later, it's far from a mistake a great combo.

So many stories about this car, hope it stays in the USA.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    A friend of mine used to own this car.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Barchetta is not grigio alloy but Argento Nurburgring. Grigio Alloy is a very light metallic blue.

5. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    This could also potentially be a euro model, given it has the 360 style steering wheel and not the 550 style

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    The Barchetta is a Euro model and was imported.

ralfabco, G. Pepper and Caeruleus11 like this.
  7. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I know it is, I was putting it nicely since they have other mistakes in their ad vs. dunking on them

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Seems to have spacers too?

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    In the RM ad the Enzo’s engine capartment looks pretty tired

of2worlds and Vance4re like this.
  10. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Ex-John Higholt?

11. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I believe this car is currently one of two in AZ with the other one being black.

Last time I drove the yellow Enzo was in 2014, and was well sorted then.

NürScud, saadxj220 and tomc like this.
  12. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    Anybody know if this was the Enzo that was at the Chicago auto show in 2002? I was in high school then--took a picture of it, blew it up, and still have it framed in my garage.

13. rampante550

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I can't tell if you're joking bc this car had its engine replaced or if I'm just missing something in the engine compartment pics

14. RMSotheby's

RMSotheby's Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    RM Sotheby's
    Appreciate you catching this mistake -- have contacted the moderators to change the original post.

This example was indeed imported from Europe, and was owned for a time by Rod Stewart, former lead man for The Faces. Here's a great live version of Rod and the Faces doing "You Wear It Well" as a further way of saying "thank you."

rampante550 likes this.
  15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Rod the Mod !

tomc and RMSotheby's like this.
  16. SirTony76

SirTony76 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    MN
    tres55 and G. Pepper like this.
  17. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Not sure about the Chicago Auto Show, but this Enzo was delivered new to its first owner in North Carolina and has had a bit of a colorful life.

SirTony76 and Ricambi America like this.
  18. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I got to ride in this Enzo, still have great memories of it!

rampante550 likes this.
  19. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    It's the first time that i see a Giallo Modena Enzo with brown interior. The majority has black.

20. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    If JH Enzo, same. Was really generous in letting people drive it.

mchas likes this.
  21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Lots of Enzo engines were swapped out early on due to a valve springs flaw. Not joking the gear box has darkened and dirty. All the heat shields have a lot of dark burned spots. See more pics on RM’s site. It has a full Tubi. I been trying to buy this higher mileage car in the $2MM range but the owner wanted closer to $2.3MM. Not long ago a 2700 mile perfect car sold for $2.5mm. Let’s see what happens with this one

technom3 and rampante550 like this.
  22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have a picture of a little boy -- maybe 2? standing on the front seat of that Enzo and holding the wheel. I think it was @ VIR when the original owner brought it out the first time. @resnow would likely know for sure.

rampante550 and Prancing 12 like this.
  23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I painted my garage's unfinished sheetrock this year - 1280 SF! - and I feel a lot better about myself now. :D

A brace of beauties, to be sure!

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    There are several more enzo's in az

25. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007