Unheated garage solution? | FerrariChat

Unheated garage solution?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Huskymaniac, Nov 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I am in upstate NY and my garage is not heated. I was thinking of putting a couple of these under the car for the winter:

https://heattrak.com/products/heated-snow-melting-entrance-mat-large-40x60

Are there any potential issues with this idea? I can't think of any.

Also should the car be up on jack stands or should I just keep the wheels on the floor? I put high performance all season tires on the car so they aren't super soft.

2. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    If you can get electric in your garage , what about a heat pump.
    I installed one last year. Very satisfied so far , no significant change in electric bill I had left it on 62deg all winter last year. Not that expensive and controllable remotely , also does ac but no need for that.

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Any chance you have gas going to the garage? A small wall unit is what I did and it works incredibly well. I feel like a fool for not doing it years ago.

4. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I thought about that but it would be tough to install right now. I was going to look for a window mount unit.

5. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I don't. I was thinking of propane though. But I doubt my wife would feel comfortable with that.

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Whats the heat mat going to do? Is the garage insulated? Honestly I see no point in that matt.

Put some rigid foam under the tires, full gas with stabilizer, cleaned, oil changed, car cover, battery tender, dont start it... hope for earlyspring.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  8. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    My problem is that there is zero chance my wife will let me put a 250 gallon tank of propane near our house. Our garage is insulated aside from the door, which I am taking care of over this long break.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Marriage...been there doen that, but whats the objection? LP is just as safe as any other energy source, half the US runs on it.

If you don't mind the $ look into electric radiant heat. Or a mini split that can do both heat and cool for the summer.

11. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #11 eulk328, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    A split air conditioner that uses the compressor to provide heat in cool/cold weather will shut down with near freezing outdoor temps and below. The freeze protection safety circuitry will keep it from running.

12. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Cheap and viable way is to use an electric garage heater. Runs on 220V and has an adjustable thermostat. Works fairly well and reasonable cost solution.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

yes the combo units will shut down and or lose efficiency at colder temps. I've got a couple hyper heat units, I think they are Mitsubishi. I believe they operated down to -6 ambient but may have to review that info.

14. Huskymaniac

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    That's not a bad option. I would need to bring 240V from the basement to the garage. But that should easily generate enough heat.

15. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    That is exactly what I did. I did add a circuit breaker box for the line running out to the garage The job is quite easy. The cost is quite low and the results keep the garage at a reasonable temperature during the winter season.

16. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I have one of these in the garage, but twice the output, and one in an unheated section of the basement. They both work great. I would recommend a 220v line thermostat and not count on the one on the unit to be at all consistent.

17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    We recently built a 700 sq ft detached garage. Getting gas to it wasn’t very doable and we were putting in a 100amp electrical service anyway (for lifts, future EV’s, etc). So we installed two of these electric heaters with remote wall thermostats mounted in the coldest area of the garage in between the doors. I forget the spec but they needed a 220 line and I believe are 3-5k watts each.

We keep it at 50 during the winter and I crank it up if I’m messing around in the garage. Heats up quick and due to the good insulation we used cost very little per month to operate ($50-75 month).

In the picture the heater is the rectangular box on the wall in the upper right.

Erik
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis and waymar like this.
  18. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Noticed the high reach, wall mounted garage door opener. Any details on that one?

19. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Move South!

EastMemphis likes this.
  20. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #20 Teenferrarifan, Dec 19, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    It’s a lift master 8500, we also had the rails custom made so that they follow the front wall and ceiling as close as possible. The finished product has the door literally a half an inch from the Sheetrock when open, and it’s a very clean appearance.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

Erik

unreelviper and jjason981 like this.
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I bought a small unit 2 yrs ago for $130. It’s really small and keeps a even temp. It’s really tiny. It’s around 12 x12 cube if that