Need to "match" black leather on 1997 dash | FerrariChat

Need to "match" black leather on 1997 dash

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    #1 Carmellini, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    I am repairing the typical warped corners of my passenger airbag cover, and will try to transplant existing leather, but may be forced to recover. Can anyone recommend a supplier with a great match to the grain, texture, color, and smell of the OEM leather? Was Connolly the supplier back in 1997?

Does anyone have anything left over from a project? I would need about 14" x 7"

Caveat: aware that Connolly rep in the US is World Uph, and have dealt with GAHH for other projects; but I am hoping to get some feedback regarding personal experiences with success matching material.

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    For the price, I’m having the whole dash and bits of door cards re trimmed so it all matches nicely.

Got the leather from Martrim (I’m in the uk) for the airbag it will Lille need to be skived to about ,8 or .9 mm.

Good luck.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Take you old piece of leather down to a local auto upholstery shop, ask them to sell you a piece of similar to identical leather. They will rummage through their remnants and used pieces they keep around and will find a small piece that is 99% exact match in color, texture, and thickness. Then they want $50 for it and you give them $25.

That is what happened to me.

308 GTB and bjwhite like this.
  4. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I have been to a few local shops and the big issue is as A348W mentioned regarding the thickness of the leather. It is very thin and needs to be skived.

Does anyone know who will skive leather? I used to know a shop in Boston, but they closed a few years ago. Still hoping someone may have something left over????