Used Pista or new F8 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Used Pista or new F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chasing Ferrari, Dec 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Used Pista or New F8 if the price is the same

1. Pista

83.8%
  2. F8

16.2%
  1. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I drive my Pista to work maybe 1x a month. It’s a 30 minute drive with some traffic. I actually dislike most every minute of it. It is too rough on me, too loud to use Bluetooth to make a business call, too low where people don’t see it and almost crash into me (also my employees don’t really appreciate seeing it in my parking space). However driving on the weekend for a quick drive, I LOVE it.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #152 Shadowfax, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    This is how it is. It can be stressful in the wrong environment. The Ferrari needs to be let off the leash and is huge fun in the right environment. I love mine and love looking at it but it gets looked at more than being driven as there are other choices.

Driving a Ferrari into your place of business is just compromising yourself and, for all the wrong reasons. You go into work to make money and, to make sure all others working for you are focused on the job and not focused on what I'm driving in or asking me "how it is" all day long. I can drive a tts into office everyday of the week or park it outside the supermarket - no problem. The Ferrari. No. Now that is just asking for trouble. I have enough things to worry about other than worrying about coming back to find damage on my Ferrari only to then see it off to the paint shop for god knows how long. It's bad enough just pulling it up at a garage to refuel it - too much interest in it. But at least I can see what going on outside when I go in to pay the bill. When you drive a Ferrari you need to be either driving in a properly fun type setting or driving on the way to a fun driving setting.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree I don’t drive my Ferrari to work and I won’t drive my Mclaren either. It sends the wrong message. The employees think I live well enough without rubbing it in their faces.

Coincid, GT2goneF, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  4. edici761

edici761 Rookie

Dec 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    ERNESTO DICICCO
    I casted my vote for the Pista, however I think the 458 speciale aperta will surpass both in pricing being it is naturally aspirated.

GT2goneF likes this.
  5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Years ago Jalopnik wrote an article on what it was like to own a Ferrari for one year. It actually scared me to the point that it delayed my entry into the Ferrari club. Of course, this guy lived in Philly and drove from Point A to Point A only. I get it. City driving? That can’t be fun.

Early on I made the decision that I would drive my car, it would not sit in my garage. Well, it’s been two years of ownership (to the day!) and I’ve driven it around 13,000 miles, 3,000 of which were in the incredible Appalachian Mountains. Even if I never put another mile on it, my ownership will have been worth the aggressive pressure testing I thoroughly enjoyed on unbelievable roads made for a Ferrari.

So now, I find myself contemplating the F8 Spider. It’ll certainly see the same roads. Certainly......

6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I take mine to the supermarket all the time, out to dinner, heck in my 458 I once went to Lowes and another time filled a Gas can, wrapped it in a waterproof garbage bag, put it in the front trunk and took it to my sons house!

rob5819, GT2goneF, Drson and 4 others like this.
  7. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I cant imagine a world that you will be on your death bed saying "I am so upset for putting miles on my Ferrari", I think perhaps the opposite. I think I put 6K miles or so on my F12 the first 12 months.

buddyg, GT2goneF and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Pista

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Chasing Ferrari

Dec 18, 2016
    Totally agree on the resale part, that's why the prices are so close that worth a battle in my mind.
    I push the transaction out for a week to think through it again. For me, if i take the F8 route, i would want a spider which will take a 8 months wait.
    I am still torn.
    I like the new interior of the F8 and the road here is not perfect.....

10. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The Pista doesn’t have a harsh ride. I don’t think I’ve ever used the bumpy road setting.

Caeruleus11 and Shadowfax like this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    A self limiting way to prevent the ongoing paper products shortage, brought on by hoarding, lol!

Not a bad looking car either.

Caeruleus11 and ScrappyB like this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Buy a pista now and place an order for an F8 spider. Drive the Pista for 12 months while waiting for your F8 and when the F8 comes, sell the Pista to get the F8. You will lose some money but not a ton as the Pista will hold nicely.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think it’s important to use your cars but always have fun while doing so. There has been times ive driven my Pista to lunch or dinner with wife and times ive used it for the groceries but it depends a lot on the restaurant and location. As a general rule if i have another car available on hand i will use it but again all depending upon location. Parking the car in a position or in an environment where doors can be opened into it or backed into is not what i call fun usage. You dont want to spend more time wondering about what damage youre likely to come back to rather than enjoying your dinner.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Ahhh, I remember going to dinner...

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #166 Shadowfax, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    Sorry to hear that. But down here in the lucky country there are states - one which i live in - where covid normal and dining out regularly goes on. I recently got back from a 2000km 4 day run in the beast driving the most amazing rds and ate out at top restaurants all 4 nights. That said there was one state here which member shack lives in that was in full lockdown for 6 months so it depends on luck and which state you live. I tried to jolly shack up over this time with photos and tales of my driving joys and thankfully now he is unlocked to do similar. So he of all aussies knows which doggies can and have been driving and going to restaurants without giving cheek from the sidelines. :);)

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  16. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    I have owned a 458 and currently own a 488.

I have driven a Pista and an F8 - Pista wins all the way around!

I'm sad for you folks who might be a bit too "up tight" about taking the Prancing Horse out for the evening (or to work ... that could be your self-guilt speaking). I drive my Ferrari to work (have given folks rides) and to the hardware store with zero problems interacting with the public. If you "park it in the wrong position" (do you take two parking spaces) then perhaps you deserve what you got. Sorry, no sympathy for that behavior.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  17. Mollenkopf

Mollenkopf Rookie

Dec 18, 2020
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John Mollenkopf
    No Brainer - Pista. Didn’t like the F8 when I test drove it. Too quiet and noticeable turbo lag.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California

I have said this before, exactly my feelings, point by point. I am glad I am not alone.

Me too!!!! I am spending 400k. Didn't get the Pista because I didn't like it for me. However, remember there are more Pistas on Dupont because they've been out longer. I think that 19 F8 on Dupont is quite a lot for a car that has been out for about a year, realistically, less than year.

Enzo Belair likes this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Shadow, I didn't option my car the way I did because I was thinking about resale value or how much I will lose. Like I said before, I built this car for me. I know that as soon as the car leaves the lot, I will probably lose the value of the 45k premium paint options. I have no problem with that because I will enjoy the car if I decide to keep it, sell it for a millions dollars or 100k down the line. Cars are rarely investment opportunities and you can't really predict which car will become the next 250 GTO. Whomever decides to buy a car for investment opportunities (other than limited special productions), shouldn't risk buying one.

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am OK with the F8 and miss on the "long shot" you are describing.

Shadowfax likes this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I usually keep my cars. So far have my 2014 CLS 63S and I love it. I plan to do the same with my F8 because I am not looking forward to Ferrari's future little toaster. I may be the only one keeping his cars.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That's fine. I gave my review some while back after putting in considerable seat time in the F8 and I've never said it was a bad car even though some here seem compelled to fit me up - all F8 owners or potential owners - ever since I gave my opinion on it. There is a lot to like about it but one thing stood out to me which I don't back away from and that is its very light on driver engagement - far too light for a Ferrari of this type imho. Its a car where you really need to be in the upper extremities of the envelope to get the level of sensations expected in this type of car. That doesn't mean you wont enjoy the car thoroughly but i do recall saying that best way to keep the enjoyment alive and in good shape is to avoid getting behind the wheel of a Pista or you may find yourself asking a few hard questions as I found myself asking. And a lot of the questions stem from how both are so damn user friendly and streetable as each other with one being so much less engaging - and unnecessarily so.

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    You are a brave man... Driving in NYC. If you can call that driving. And I am not talking about your skills, I am referring to the traffic of NYC... Can't really call that driving.

Shadowfax likes this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No you're not the only one that holds his cars. I do as well. I don't really get motivated to change or sell off unless I find a car particularly unsatisfying or unreliable, or if something else similar comes out that I find a whole lot better to drive. I normally like to add where a car looks to meet my criteria.

GT2goneF likes this.