‘84 308 Euro QV Won’t start - replace accumulator, lessons learned | FerrariChat

‘84 308 Euro QV Won’t start - replace accumulator, lessons learned

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rich in Panama City, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    The ‘84 308 Euro had to sit for 6 months but started right up so we drove it 30 miles to breakfast at the Donut Hole near Seaside. That’s a hint if your in the Panama City/Fort Walton Beach/Destin area. But it took much cranking after sitting for an hour. Got home, put it on the lift and realized my accumulator was peeing.
    Lessons:
    1. Remove the entire fuel pump & accumulator assembly with the bracket, do not attempt to separate the fuel pump and accumulator while in the car. You will bend the bracket & destroy the connecting pipe - expensive and difficult to find.
    2. Euro’s do not have a hose return on the accumulator tell-tale pipe. On US models this is plumbed back to the gas tank so a failure of the accumulator is less obvious and symptoms that are common to other fuel system failures may send you in the wrong direction.
    3. Suggest Verell Boaen at Unobtanium Supply for a pump to accumulator replacement hose.
    4. I was frustrated trying to find an accumulator, got an exact duplicate (brand, appearance, fit) from Rock Auto and for a better price and quick delivery.
    5. I had to bleed my accumulator by removing the out hose that goes to the fuel filter and run the pump. Evidently I had an air lock in the new accumulator.
    6. To run the pump continuously at least on an ‘84 Euro, move the air cleaner box out of the way to get access to the fuel pump plug on the distribution manifold and unplug that electical connection then turn on your ignition but do not start the engine.
    7. If you have a 308, a four post lift will pay for itself a dozen times a year.

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Great post ..please post part number to help future chatters

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    climb, flash32 and GordonC like this.
  4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    So I took delivery of my 83 euro GTS a couple of months back and had the exact issue. Got stuck in a small town 20 miles north of my house. Finally got it started and home only to find a puddle of fuel on the floor. I was able to order a replacement part from a merc dealer but probably paid more. I did it the wrong way with it still attached to the car but managed to pull it off. I don’t have a lift so it sucked. Getting a car lift for parking and work. Wish mine had happened after yours. You would have saved me a headache.

5. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    As an anal engineer I normally take things apart to understand how they work. Here is a picture of the accumulator cut open. This is a large and very strong spring. I did have cracks in the diaphragm that allowed fuel to leak thru and out the pee tube.

Attached Files:

miketuason likes this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rich, can the diaphragm be replace?

7. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Diaphragm likely could (if you can find one) but the can is put together by a heavy crimp that I cut off with a wheel and you would have to squeeze the can against a strong spring while you install a new crimp and maintain a seal on the body. I doubt you could repair the accumulator for less than what a new one costs. Now that we know several other cars use the same accumulator, I suspect you can find it for even less that the $190 I paid. I wonder how many have torn into other aspects of their fuel systems when it was just the accumulator, particularly US models that have the tell tale pee tube plumbed back to the gas tank?

8. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Was planning on doing exactly that but was waiting to use my grinder until all the fuel was dried U saved me the effort Thanks!

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Was the accumulator peeing on the ground ? Could you see on floor? Or did you have to take it off ?

10. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Had heard about this spring and diagram for more than 15years. First time actually seeing a picture. Thanks

11. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Mine was. Huge puddle on the ground. I had the car delivered and this happened on the first couple of starts until I noticed it. Insane that they don’t have a tube attached to drain it away from the car…lots of very hot bits close by. Easy replace relatively inexpensive part. I think older mercs used the same part.

climb likes this.
  12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Put a gallon or so of marine gas in and a little of the stability agent about a month ago. Little fuel injector cleaner too. About two ounces when it started having trouble starting. Safety switch unplugged.

RamsHmb likes this.