Next stablemate for the Pista | FerrariChat

Next stablemate for the Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I want to start thinking by about my next Ferrari. We are building a new home with a nice showcase garage where I would like to have a nice collection of vehicles consisting of my current stock and possibly some new ones added in.

For this topic I’d stick with just what the next Ferrari will be. I currently have a Pista, 720 and an M8 as my daily/work car. Pista will stay long term, maybe not the 720, might replace that or sell in the future, so what current or next gen ferrari would complement the Pista?

Right now I’m debating between 812 Superfast or SF90. Would love to hear thoughts on which of these two would be a better buy.

812 may be the last NA v12. Sf90 is the first generation of a new breed of cars. Not sure which way to go. Appreciate your participation in this thought exercise.

F2003-GA and Trilogy like this.
  2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It’s gotta be a V12. 812SF is the natural candidate but you may want to stretch a little further and find a TdF. Cost of ownership will likely be similar if you consider the stronger value retention of a TdF.

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I have not driven either car but for me it would be the V12 front engine Ferrari. The SF90 is awesome with 1000hp and all wheel drive, but I didn’t care for the looks.

Euroryno, WM458, Caeruleus11 and 5 others like this.
  4. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    812 seems like it would be the best choice as a 2nd Ferrari. Currently I have an Aventador SVJ and an F8. Waiting for the 812GTS to hit the market and I’ll buy one of those as well. Cant think of any better car to compliment the Pista other than maybe a DBS Superleggera but since you asked for a 2nd Ferrari opinion, definitely the 812.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have yet to drive the SF90, but from reading your posts, our debates on cars etc. I think the 812 is the car to get. It's a fun and happy car that really bridges the gap well between the mid engined and front engined GT. Note that like an SF90, it is NOT a GT, but it has some GT attributes when it settles down. But it is a very good front engined sports car that is very involving, playful and a bit crazy. It has a bit of a wild side and pushing it is a lot of fun, and it really urges you on - a car with a properly charismatic personallity.

Could the SF90 be that way? Maybe, but mid engined cars are usually a bit serious somehow. I think you would be properly entertained by an 812, and it is different from your Pista. It might solve potential issues of which key you most often grab with its ability to do different things. The SF90 is even less practical than the Pista, so it is worth considering what you want to do with the car. I kind of viewing the SF90 as the Ferrari you add to a at least three others. But I dunno, that might change when I have had mine for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I concur. You could get an SF90 anytime later. This is the first Ferrari V8 Turbo plugin toaster, so we don't know how it will behave in the future. You already know what you're getting with the 812 SF. The lineage of Ferrari lies in this very engine, so you know this is proven, tried and true. You can get an SF90 if you decide to at a later time when others have shared their experiences.

I am not interested in the SF90. Like buddyg, I would love the power but can't get past its looks. That is why I chose the F8. In addition, call me a young dinosaur, but I am not interested in the hybrid models. So this is where I stop with Ferrari. Turbo or previous model NA. My next choice would be an 812 with or without GPF, because the exhaust will be immediately replaced .

Lastly, I agree with Scrappy, if you can get your hands on one, the F12 TDF would be an absolute beauty for your garage showcase and probably an investment as well.

My 2 1/2 cents.

PS. The 812 is a "front" mid engine vehicle...

WM458 and ScrappyB like this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i actually thought about the TDF before settling on the 812. Only problem is of the few that are for sale, they all have like 200-300 miles. Garage queens. I don’t want a garage queen. Would rather buy something to own and drive. Love the TDF but it’s not for me.

Caeruleus11, Gh21631 and ScrappyB like this.
  8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I definitely want to add a front engine V12 Ferrari at some point. That is what Enzo Ferrari started with and some would say it’s a proper Ferrari!

ScrappyB and GT2goneF like this.
  9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Sound logic. While I’ve not driven a TdF, the 812 is symphonic rocket ship.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    812 or F12. 812 is nicer inside F12 is nicer outside.

F2003-GA, xBox and GT2goneF like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    i thought about an F12 but would rather just get the more recent and modern 812.

junc, Thecadster, GT2goneF and 2 others like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can’t blame you. It’s the better car. And the interior is much better. But the F12 is very pretty.

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. JB1997

JB1997 Karting

Mar 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Brainard
    The first time I saw an F12 in person I had no clue how gorgeous they were. If it had the comfort seats from the 812 and the tech from the SF90, I feel it would be the perfect car. My opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    That is a fact that you don't have to repeat. You know you can get a TDF and not be a garage queen. There is no ordinance against driving a TDF. You will be against those purists that have the car as a framed Rembrandt for show only. You will indulge yourself by driving it and everyone else by allowing to be seen in person and free.

italiafan likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I agree. but there is something about Mary (F12 TDF) that always makes you look and wonder, even if you have the 812.

xBox likes this.
  16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Your opinion is shared by mostly everyone. You are not alone.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I get it. I know I can drive it. But it’s just not the right car for my needs.

18. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    812 is definitely on my list, probably the last pure V12 Ferrari. What about 812 VS? (GTO or whatever they are gonna call it)

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That would be awesome but I think impossible to get no? I haven’t been following it at all but when do you think they are going to announce it?

GT2goneF likes this.
  20. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Marketing manager told me it was supposed to be this month, looks like thats not gonna happen. I specifically asked him if all of their allocations were spoken for and he said that only 3 of 7 were. This was about a month ago, may have changed since.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    V12.

Ferrari is a dream, and at the heart of that dream is their legacy of the V12.

Caeruleus11 and GT2goneF like this.
  22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Hmmmm....I’ll inquire in the am but I think you have to have owned an 812 to be eligible? Not in the mood to play any dealer games.

GT2goneF and Dicecal like this.
  23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not sure about eligibility criteria, I didn’t ask him about that. Certainly worth asking the question....

SoCal to az and GT2goneF like this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think it has already been announced. Who gets it, remains the surprise. As usual with Ferrari.

25. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes, unveiling was allegedly supposed to be this month.

GT2goneF likes this.