Carbon wrapping Engine Airbox | FerrariChat

Carbon wrapping Engine Airbox

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by adamellisdj, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Is this possible or will this section be too hot?

I love the carbon engine look, but the price for the carbon air box is stupid at over £1300

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Just don't. Besides, you can only see the air box when the back is open.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Even real carbon will sometimes turn yellow from the heat, so I'm sure that the wrap will not hold up gracefully. I would imagine that it would also leave a sticky mess behind. Also, If it un sticks, then touches on the hot exhaust, it is sure to cause you a major headache, or even a possible fire!
    I HIGHLY recommend that you don't do it!

Chasing Ferrari likes this.
  4. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  5. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    I would not wrap it. It wont hold up and its the complete opposite purpose of changing something to lightweight to something with more added weight.

If you want the look though still, i would consider looking into having it hydro dipped as its the most realistic look and will probably hold up better with the heat.

I would still recommend against that and stick with the original plenum or the real carbon one.

On a side note, ive had many carbon parts across multiple platforms of vehicles and even bicycles to realize some parts are not really meant to be carbon unless they are getting properly inspected and/or changed frequently. This mostly depends on the weave type and manufacturing process though but I noticed on aftermarket automotive, its not as quality as say a boeing 787 fuselage section or one of the high end bicycle frames/wheels. Dont get me wrong there are some companies who genuinely make an authentic and quality pieces, bit there are also many who will put one layer of crappy carbon weave over fiberglass.

Hope this helps in your decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk