Additional info on GPF removal | FerrariChat

Additional info on GPF removal

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by KarlA69, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

I went to Brooke Race Exhaust today (highly recommended!) to get my stock cats and GPF replaced with 200 cell sports cats on my GTS. See pic - the blue part is the standard cat, the red part is the GPF unit, so you can see they are easily removed together. The shiny silver ones are the new 200 cell sports cats. You also need a module to cancel the GPF warning lights (mine was from Novitec). All seems to work well.

The sound is epic - back to the 'good old' 812 SF sound (with a bit more volume) including the scream at higher revs. Can't wait to throw down the roof in spring and drive it properly!

Karl

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SirTony76, stavura, 350MH83 and 10 others like this.
  2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You must have shares in the exhaust company Karl, the number of Ferrari exhausts you have changed :)
    I thought the GPF part would have much bigger.
    Did you fit an X pipe instead of the straight through pipes shown?
    I think we need a sound video in spring please?

3. Nuri Bodur

Nuri Bodur Rookie

Jan 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nuri Bodur
    Can’t wait to hear her Karl! Let’s hope for an opportunity soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    Can we hear it please? :D

5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome, can you post a video of the EPIC sound?

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What's the plan for the MOT inspection, if I may ask...?

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Bravo Karl!

8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Are any changes required to the engine mapping? I would have thought a tune is necessary to account for the reduced back pressure. I presume your Ferrari warranty is voided?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Haha yes I have spent WAY too much money on exhaust parts in the last few years (for Portfolio, 812 SF and now GTS) but I'm done now.. the GTS is a keeper. To address the questions above:

- Sure, it might affect the warranty. But so might changing the standard cats to sports cats on a pre-GPF car. Or, if you have a fussy dealer, even changing the rear mufflers technically affects the warranty. I made my modification that in mind. If/when I have a warranty claim I might have an argument on my hands with the dealer/Ferrari factory. So be it.
    - regarding MoT (in the UK), I have spoken to a few garages and their feedback is that if the car passes emissions standards (which it will, because I didn't remove the cats) they are pretty relaxed. As an aside, a few months back I took my 812 SF for a 'test' MOT with 100 cell sports cats fitted, thinking it would fail the emissions test. Surprisingly, it passed.
    - yes I fitted an X pipe to replace the stock mid-section. In my experience, an X pipe is only worth adding if you are doing the cats as well. If you have stock cats, the x pipe makes little difference other than making it quieter and 'thinning out' the sound. You need the extra flow/volume of the sports cats to make the package work.
    - no ECU changes required. The Novitec module cancels the GPF warning light and regeneration cycle. In terms of reduced back pressure, the ECU automatically notices this and adjusts (as would be the case for adding sports cats in a pre-GPF car)

I think Ferrari did a decent job with the GTS's sound, given the limitation of GPF. But to me, the (pre-GPF) 812 SF still sounds better. Specifically, I find the GTS to be quiet at idle and low revs, plus it looses some of that high pitched scream after about c. 5k revs. My modification addresses both. The GTS sounds decent and is probably loud enough for most, especially with the roof down. But to quote Scarface: nothing exceeds like excess! :)

Will post a video shortly! But if you've ever heard an F12 or 812 SF with sports cats, it sounds just like that!

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Who makes the exhaust parts?
    How to order?

Thanks, brilliant!

11. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    The rear boxes and mid section (x pipe) from the 812 SF will fit just fine, so you can buy existing versions (or move them over from your SF, which is what I did)

The sports cats and OBD port module are specific to the GTS. As far as I know, the only people currently making the module are Novitec.

For sports cats, Brooke Race Exhaust, Novitec or Kline all do them already. No doubt other companies will, over time, too.

I don’t know about ordering; depends where you live. But hopefully the above helps you to find it.

12. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi, as requested please see attached video of my GTS with 200 cell sports cats. Videos never do it justice... it is epic in person!

Shout out to Eddy at Brooke Race Exhaust in the UK for a quality product and install!

Attached Files:

Gh21631, Kmaaq, mdrums and 6 others like this.
  13. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    OMG that sounds incredible

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks, trust me in person it's even better! The cold start is WAY too loud but thankfully I now have it in underground garage so no neighbours to annoy. With the roof down at 6k and above revs it is truly amazing. I'd recommend the mod to anyone but understand it might be a bit much for some. For me, I'm just glad we found a way out of the GPF mess (for those that want to)

15. kissmyaxe

kissmyaxe Rookie

May 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Almer Reyhan
    Karl hope you read this. So, I've just checked the novitec page. The sports cats have 2 types, the with opf and without opf. Did you go for the without opf one? Any issues with dealer or MOT? Also, is it way too loud for track use in Europe? I went with a friend in a huracan STO in nurburgring and we werent alllowed to drive cause it was too loud.

16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

My car had an OPF fitted so I bought the version with OPF. Note that fitting the sports cat removes the OPF (it's attached to the OEM cat)

In terms of issues with dealer or MoT, those are two separate things; I presume with dealer you mean any warranty claim? I have not found that to be an issue (e.g. warranty claim related to the GPS tracker on my car - dealer knew about exhaust, fixed the issue anyway). But it depends on your dealer and what goes wrong to trigger the warranty claim. If it's something to do with the roof, for example, hard for them to argue the exhaust is to blame. But if you had an engine issue, might be a different story. If these kind of things will keep you up at night, probably don't do it.

In terms of MoT, I bet your average garage wouldn't know/care that the car originally came with OPF and so the car will pass. I had the emissions checked on mine and it's fine (in the UK). Plus, you can always ask around for a more 'friendly' garage of petrol heads....

Lastly, track days - yes, you will have issues. Depends on the noise limit, how you drive etc but it will be annoying because you spend more time worrying about noise warnings than driving. Thankfully, I found an elegant solution: bought a Porsche GT3RS as a track car, kept the Ferrari for road use. You're welcome :)

Karl

kissmyaxe and Gh21631 like this.
  17. kissmyaxe

kissmyaxe Rookie

May 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Almer Reyhan
    Those are some solid replies. I've only recently moved to Europe, so I'm new to this mot and noise regulation on track. I might go for a similar route for track usage, but I'm not going with GT3RS cause the wing is too small :D Thanks for replying mate. Have a good one.

18. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Wing wing, hello? This is my baby on track at the NB Ring! Love my 812 GTS but spanking a 3RS on track is something else!

RE: noise limits, note that some tracks/days are "unsilenced" (no noise limit) so you could focus on those. But for me a 812 SF/GTS isn't really a track car anyway (I've tried) - too heavy and fragile

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bahb7, kissmyaxe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    (hope I don't get banned from F chat for posting a Porsche pic!!)

20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    ^^haha, besides, we can appreciate other great cars and this one does have a horse on it :)

kissmyaxe and papou like this.