Pista/Speciale Market | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista/Speciale Market

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Robert P, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Agree on this with my limited time in the Pista. The one thing I've grown to appreciate more and more having experienced more powerful/faster cars is how "fast" you can feel in the Speciale at still legal speeds, like letting the revs hang in 2nd, and how playful and light the car feels. The Pista's rear was a lot harder/more scary for me to get loose, so much grip and a feeling of more weight over the rear axle. Can reach crazy speed in the blink of an eye, you savor it more in the Speciale as it builds with sound because it is slower and far less shove. Pista seems to have better build quality, it will have warranty and more maintenance left for the 7 year pack FWIW, and feels more solid on the roads.

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Since selling my Speciale, I’ve definitely missed it and have my eyes set on an SA for a while. However, a nicely spec’d Pista Spyder has crossed my path.
    Crazy market now as Pista Spiders are asking over MSRP - this one asking $719k (sticker $634k).
    On the other hand, there have been a couple white SA’s around $650k but not the best spec so didn’t pull the trigger.
    Which one… decisions, decisions….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    This is my genuine advice, knowing the bit I know about you. You have to go with what you really genuinely want and are looking for. Unless things have changed, you have been longing the void left from your Bianco Italia Speciale, the 9k RPM scream of a NA engine. The Pista, albeit a great car with great options and much more powerful will not give you what you truly want and are looking for. If you buy the Pista, you will like it and enjoy it but I am certain that not for long. I know you have probably had every supercar there is to have and that there are a handful that for you have been truly special and make your head turn, even when you have yourself a great collection and nothing to look around for. As far as I know, there have been two cars that you truly miss not having. One is the Speciale Aperta in Bianco Italia. You've not once mentioned interest in getting a Pista until this happened to cross your path. Seems to me like a distraction. You will follow an itch that won't be scratched by a Pista. You will end up "buying high and selling low" (inside joke) because it isn't pulling your heart strings.

This is coming from me who is a terribly impulsive when it comes to wanting something. Just wait until the right 458 SA turns up. In the mean time get that Lotus, invest, save up until the Pegasus and the Unicorn appear so you can get them back in your stable; and when that time comes, do not let them go until you are truly ready to let them go.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

plastique999 and italiafan like this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The only issue which weights against waiting is the limited range of variety. I was looking at a Bianco Italia Pista Spider earlier this year and regret passing. Few now appear with specs which speak to my emotional taste.

plastique999 and GT2goneF like this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I would buy the Pista. Live with it and if it ends up lacking, trade it for SA when one you like comes up.
    If you are thrilled with it, you keep it.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If I had the garage space, 765 stays as the “hyper” car. Pista gets added. Speciale gets added and F12 TDF gets added. Turbo stays as the daily.

I’d probably trade the turbo for a Pista now if I didn’t need the all weather capability and relative understated styling of the Turbo S for ease in Pittsburgh. Daily driving the Pista would bring too much attention.

Andynyc, ScrappyB and GT2goneF like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Art I remember you were looking a few months back… do you remember the price on that Bianco Italia Pista Spider?

8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    At the collection here in Miami was circa 659 k

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The naturally aspirated one with the plaque.

plastique999 likes this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just looked at DuPont Registry....only 4 Speciales for sale in North America (including Canada).
    Crazy.

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    And in Autotrader, maybe 6-7 Speciales listed and then a few privatedly listed or not on the big boards, probably 10 or fewer offered.

That seems to be the new normal, everyone is holding and some, based on higher asking prices might join in, but, really, what would you replace it with, there is nothing like it and never will be again.

GT2goneF, italiafan and Jo Sta7 like this.
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    One of the reasons I was comfortable letting go of my second 458 was the news of the NA Z06 Vette. I truly enjoy driving my C8 and the thought of a convertible version with a 600 hp NA V8 is so enticing. The modern tech really helps and is a stark departure from the 458/speciale outdated UI.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    tickerhound, Avia11, Andynyc and 4 others like this.
  14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ok, but, at +300 pounds and maximum 6500rpm (at 11.5:1 compression), the C8 is not really any sort of direct replacement. As for the gauges, I prefer all manual, at least the 458Speciale has a manual rev counter ....the more simple the better; not to mention the Speciale doesn't spy on you like the C8 does (aka over-the-air updates...works both ways, sends who knows what data to whoever, no thanks)

GT2goneF and italiafan like this.
  15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Did you read my post though? the C8 isnt w replacement of any sort. The Z06 is not as well. however, the main reason I'd buy a Speciale at this point is for the engine and the Z06 will have a 600 hp+ NA V8 revving to 9k. That does make it comparable.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Sorry, I thought you were replying to me in that there is nothing that replaces the Speciale now or ever. The Z06 engine is 6.2L and features cylinder deactivation, of course, not anything like the Speciale's.

If Ferrari made a 6.2L V8 in the same spirit as the Speciale it would likely have over 800 horsepower, unassisted (and without GPF).

17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Im hearing Z06 Will have a 5 to 5.5L V8. The amount of displacement doesn’t matter much to me. As long as the sound and performance are there.

Boomhauer and GT2goneF like this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Seems the C8 Z06 is way out there, 2023 or later model year. There has been no official announcement, but there's this:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-corvette-c8-z06-delayed-2023/

And, the C7 Z06 was 650hp, it would seem the C8 Z06 must exceed that, but current estimates of its unassisted power do not, so it could very well by hybrid to get the horsepower numbers up (or turbo).

If you find a Speciale you like, might be more satisfying than something years away with so many unknowns.

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Seems like it is already sold :)

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Exactly!

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    BLASPHEMY

Viperjoe and JTSE30 like this.
  22. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Would not surprise me, those cars don’t sit that long.

23. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Is it now definitive that there’s no F8 VS?

24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    it was always definitive, from the lack of an F8-based challenge car(though one was released after the F8 but was based on the 488) to it being a stop gap car to give time for the 296GTB to be released

the rear-mid-engine V8 non-hybrid layout is over...(once the F8 completes production)

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think so too

italiafan and JTSE30 like this.