Leather Tool Case, Poor Quality | FerrariChat

Leather Tool Case, Poor Quality

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by abstamaria, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Removing the tool case from my 2014 Italia, which I’ve had since new, the handle broke. I was handling the case carefully and probably removed it from the car not more than three times. The handle was poorly made. The case itself also is Image Unavailable, Please Login falling apart. The older Schedoni cases seem better made. Anyone else experienced this?

Andres

2. Giallo27

Giallo27 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    Yes, it is basically made of cardboard painted like leather and If you buy another OEM bag will happen same in a few years.

Solution, look for a craftsman to do one in real leather from scratch and ask him to utilize the OEM buckles etc.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    While I've not had this problem with my 2015 458 Spider, I did have straps in my former 360 Spider do something similar. A friend had both his 360 and my cars straps remade at a saddle shop using the originals as templates. They turned out perfect for a very reasonable price. I would not have thought of a saddle shop to do the work.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Many thanks. JB, Lawrence.

I am quite disappointed that Ferrari, a premium brand, would use such substandard products.

Andres

Attached Files:

5. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for your post! My 2015 458’s frunk leather-ish items are all still intact at this point and they show no signs of degradation, but I’m taking a proactive approach towards replacing them before they fail.

I looked at a high street fine leather supplier with upgraded (gold plated) buckles and it looks very good, but it was not exactly what I wanted in terms of the overall visual effect.

After looking at various materials, I’ve settled on prime black Alligator skins with upgraded hardware. I have a pair of Alligator boots that I just love... It just seems to fit the car better than the supplied (is it a bonded chopped and formed leather?) material.

A friend in the F-community said that it would detract from the car if it was not OEM materials (there were howls of Alligator in a Ferrari?), but I plan to keep the original materials in vacuum sealed canisters that are UV protected for future use if needed. Hopefully, this may forestall uv/ozone/heat/humidity, or other degradation of this OEM material.

I was lucky in that the previous owner of my 458 kept it in an enclosed car park with year round heat and air-conditioning. That kept everything pristine thus far with the leather and other susceptible items. I also keep it in an enclosed car park with year round central heat and air-conditioning, so I hope it allows her to age ever so gracefully...

Cheers!

ShadowLAP likes this.
  6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    They get away calling it leather by using ground leather, chem. added to make a slurry of sorts. This mixture is placed in an oven and baked. This was brought to my attention when I was replacing my straps. It is hard to believe a primo, expensive car like Ferrari would stoop to such lows with their customer base, but then again we have the sticky interior parts that have persisted for decades since the days of 355!

timjen88 likes this.
  7. You can actually remove that?

I always thought it was just there for, ahem, looks.

Good thing mine's synthetic.

8. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Having the same issue with the straps in my trunk. Maybe I should just get them redone properly and keep the original materials in storage.

I think this is even less acceptable than the sticky buttons because of all things that should have high expectations with Ferrari, leather is one of them.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Perhaps we should send Ferrari either NA or HQ, a letter discussing the use of sub par leather.

Ferrari is happy to offer and charge us for expensive options. I think they should address poor quality issues which are easy to identify and rectify, with an equal level of alacrity.

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same issue in my 04 CS.
    But no surprise, right? Look at the quality of parts and electronics etc in every model. Outside of that amazing engine...meh.
    And we put up with it :)

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think Schedoni makes the tool box and perhaps Frunk straps.

I will vote for PF to do the straps and tool boxes!

12. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm confused. I'm a convert from the 360/430 forum where this is very common. I've been looking at pics on the car for-sale sites and the open trunk pics seem to show black neoprene like tool kits and pump cases. Im picking up my 2012 458 later today and it too has the black neoprene cases. What 458's came with the "leather" cases?

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The only leather in the trunk are the slurry manufactured straps mentioned prior.

14. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I am not sure, but the “leather” case might come with the car only if you order the optional spare tire. The case houses the jack, among other tools

15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Had the optional factory leather spare tire setup in my 360 which had the slurry straps with not 1 speck of real leather . It literally disintegrated without ever being used!