Door trim for emergency window crank | FerrariChat

Door trim for emergency window crank

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by mexicruiser, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Does anybody have an image of what this setup is supposed to look like? My car is missing the various trim pieces on the door panel that provide access to manually crank the windows.
    I bought what I thought was what I needed (according to the parts manual) but it seems I have the wrong parts or something is missing. The hole on the plastic cup is too small for the threads on the plug. Also the plastic cup seems smaller than the hole but I suppose it is for the leather covering the hole.
    Are we supposed to remove the plug and the backing to fit the crank? There is no way the crank will fit thru the hole.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
  3. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hiya Jon I think I have an original hole plug that you are looking for. I think its black, lemme run to the garage and see if I can find it.

mexicruiser likes this.
  4. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you, I guess I got the wrong parts, but I need to see how the original setup was.

5. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
  6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mine is a BBI, I’ve seen pictures and it is similar but doesn’t have the “clamp”. i don’t know for what car are the ones I got from the supplier.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    308s use that plug, 328s do not have one as I understand the facts.

4re308 likes this.
  8. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    you mean the 308 uses the plug I got? or the one posted by 4re308?

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The metal strap backed style, that's what was in my three cars...I would think the plastic washer style a more brittle solution, but truthfully I have used the crank ZERO times in like 32 years....

You could make the whole system in about thirty minutes, cutting metal from a '78 Camaro door!
    Cut a circle, smash it convex.

Cut a strap, bend the ends and tack weld a nut on it
    Tack weld matching bolt to circle.

Cover in vinyl.
    Done.

I guess you could pee on it and leave out in the rain, for the rust patina to form, then cover it.

EZORED, 4re308 and mexicruiser like this.
  10. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Made some progress today I already have the proper tool, having trouble locating the exact year for the donor, so far only an ‘81 has turned up in the vicinity.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If needed in definatly have one of these, can't send it quickly is my only problem, let me know if you need

12. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
  13. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    mexicruiser likes this.
  14. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you very much Jean, now I understand the whole thing. This is exactly what I needed.

15. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Like BigTex suggested I built my own plugs in aluminium, had some leather left from other repairs. I first inserted the plastic plug, it is tight so I used brake caliper assembling grease (this stuff is slippery so I use it whenever I need to slip rubber or hoses over stuff), If I ever have to remove these it would help to know the exact curse words you used Jean.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Jon, here is a really nice work, congratulations.

Regarding the curse words, I need to point out that they are not a tribute to the faultless education I received from my parents. Also I doubt these words would find their way into the operating instructions of the owners' manual:)

Anyway I am sending you a sample (with translation from French) in a private message. Interestingly I had them translated through internet tools, I got a chastening message "inappropriate language" from some systems.

I tried a more repeatable approach (than nails and curse words) using a coffee spoon:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

However the coffee spoon is probably at the limit of being too hard for the leather. A softer tool would be welcome I think.

mexicruiser likes this.
  17. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thank you Jean, I will look for a thick plastic spoon for my tool pouch!

18. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On this subject, does anyone know if/how TR windows have an emergency way to work and/or seen it described in the F documentation? I don't recall seeing any access in the TR door panel (except maybe thru the ashtray) , nor any special tool in the tool kit. Did they just decide it was something that no one ever actually needed, or needed so rarely that it was pointless?

19. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Steve,

The subject was raised in the discussion https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/window-crank-for-1990-testarossa.487901/#post-143942661. If I understand correctly (for the 90 version at least) there is a provision for an emergency window operating procedure but there seems to be no plug in the door lining to access it. Post #4 shows the place where the emergency handle would fit in the window motor (arrangement similar to 512BBi).

The spare part manual mentions the handle for the 85 and 87 version (item n° 15):

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/testarossa-tr-87/112-door-power-window

Would there be a difference between US specifications et other specifications for the Testarossa's doors?

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #20 Steve Magnusson, Dec 23, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
    Hadn't noticed the tool being present in the earlier TR SPC -- thanks for pointing that out. Don't think that the door panels are different between the versions (and I believe the TR SPC are set up to cover all versions), and don't see any door access plug in the earlier SPCs either.

Page I13 in the TR WSM for "Power window motor replacement" (as noted in the other thread) -- indicates the first step is to remove the door panel, then use the "special winder".