Question for 355 spider owners re:aftermarket steering wheel | FerrariChat

Question for 355 spider owners re:aftermarket steering wheel

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rfaber, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rfaber

Rfaber Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    British Columbia
    Hello, Ive been a lurker and f-car enthusiast for a while. Im finally at a stage in my life where adding an F-car to my stable is a reality. Ive looked locally (Vancouver BC, Canada) for a few years now, and found a few beautiful 355 Spiders for sale, however they both had aftermarket steering wheels on them. I questioned the dealerships (not Ferrari dealerships) on why someone would change an airbag equipped steering wheel for a (tasteful??) Momo steering wheel, and go through the trouble of bypassing the airbag system? the only thing i can come up is that there was an airbag deployment, and the car was fixed without making an insurance claim. I looked closely at one of them (hands and knees on the showroom floor) and couldnt see any indication that there was any accident damage repaired. Is the steering wheel on the 355 so ugly with its airbag that it needs to be replaced with an aftermarket one!!?? (not even the original non-airbag version from 94!!) should i look further into it, the car is beautiful otherwise, and fairly priced.? any thoughts?? I understand that the 'challenge' cars came without airbags, and there was a resistor placed in the circuit to 'fool' the airbag lights.
    thank you,

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Personal preference likely dicatated the decision to change the airbag wheel to a non standard aftermarket one.

The factory 3 spoke non air bag wheel is like finding a unicorn now so most would opt for a momo or similar if they wanted to switch out the airbag wheel.

308 GTB likes this.
  3. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

OEM airbagged 355 wheel is pretty average looking imho. I'd have no concerns swapping one out for a momo. Just pick one of the more retro styled wheels and get an adapter. I wouldn't get one of the newer styled ones as they will just look out of place in the 355.

I put a Momo "Jet" in my Lotus and loved it. I don't think it would look too out of place on a 355.

The resistor in the circuit is a pretty standard way to trick the airbag circuit.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A 360 airbag steering wheel (I have one) is one of the most popular change out for a 355. Short of that, a Momo steering wheel is also a good upgrade. Your concern of an accident previous to the airbag change is ... just shy of baseless.

phrogs, Rfaber and MAD828 like this.
  5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  6. Rfaber

Rfaber Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    British Columbia
    Thanx for the input, the steering wheel they have on is quite sharp looking! it really opens up the view to the gauges! I'm a pretty tall guy (6'3") so i am hoping that i actually 'fit' into one! :) and still be able to use the pedals, or not 'have to wear a helmet' to keep bugs off my forehead!! (I drove a BMW z3 and felt like a clown car!!)
    I suppose the biggest thing for me about this particular car, is the lack of service history. the salesman didnt know much about the service history other than it was in for a belt change about 500 miles ago. (the engine and undercarriage is spotless!!!!) hmmmm more to think about!! :)

Mmckee likes this.
  7. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Earliest airbags are over 25 years old now. I believe they had a replacement lifespan of ten years. Personally I never liked the awkward design and bulk of the airbag wheel, especially as it replaced one of the prettiest factory wheels ever designed. Mine now resides in the cupboard whist a 350mm diameter MOMO does the job of steering the car. The reduced mass and size does noticeably liven up the steering feedback too.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Very common to swap out the standard steering wheel, as it’s not the greatest looking and big, for talker drivers it’s easier to fit in with a small dia wheel.

Mine has a momo Monaco fitted at the moment, but I’m likely to swap that out after Xmas if anybody is interested.

As to the particular example car you are looking at, I’d be wary of buying one without a decent service history.

9. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That car has had a fair amount spent on it modifying it. If that money is not reflected in the service history and receipts I’d move on or be willing to take a risk at a much lower price! Not sure about Canada at the moment, but that price is for well sorted good history lhd cars in the uk!

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yes. :)

Mmckee likes this.
  12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Oh no that steering wheel is horrible as all get out. Eww. Love the red interior though.

13. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    The seats aren’t right either.

14. Firmcup

Firmcup Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    A friend of mine looked at that car and its had an accident in the rear end that the dealership didn't disclose, an easy car fax found it. And there was an oil leak that he noticed when looking under the car. Just a heads up make sure you have it checked out.

15. Rfaber

Rfaber Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    British Columbia
    thanx, I noticed the drivers side rear clear was polished "through" and that might also explain why the different steering wheel, (airbag deployment) and the aftermarket wheels! damaged F-wheels are hard and pricey to track down!!!! Are you local as well!?? (Lower Mainland BC ??)
    I noticed they had cleaned up and detailed the engine compartment too, but I wasn't really a fan of the red silicone hoses they used!? :/
    It is a nice car though, just maybe a bit overpriced for what it is?!! I may go back and see if they come clean with the accident stuff, after I write down the VIN!
    I wouldn't consider purchase WITHOUT a PPI from Ferrari in Vancouver!

16. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Watch the video a little further down this thread & he sites the airbag steering wheel as one of the very few things “wrong” with the 355.

Rfaber likes this.
  17. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Those seats are an attempt at Daytona’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
  19. Rfaber

Rfaber Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    British Columbia
    Well, I am going to pass on this particular car. as pointed out, too many questions , accident? mileage? what REALLY happened to the airbag, wheels, seats and rear paint!!?? and of course, there is no service records with the car!!