2013 C6 427 convertible thoughts | FerrariChat

2013 C6 427 convertible thoughts

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by dwhite, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm looking for a 2013 convertible 427. Bought a one owner, 3800 mile car and the day before delivery the dealer smacked it up on their lot. I pulled out of the deal.

But would like to any owners expierience. I'm familiar with the potential valve guide issue. But have you had reliability with yours would anyone have a lead on one. Always like buying from private vs dealers. Appreciate any thoughts info. Thanks.

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Love the C6 427.

Wish you luck and hope you post pics!

Ive had my Z51/ 3LT C6 for almost 3 years now and they are great cars, and I have had A LOT of cars!

My C6 is going away at some point soon due to my lay off situation, but I bet a 427 will be a good investment that is fun to drive as is and not modify!

Sad to read the low mile car you picked was damaged, hope the dealer is honest about the damage for the next buyer.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
  4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

As I mentioned, I have read about the valve guide issue.

The good part is it not a big deal to pull the heads and take care of it beforehand.

Like a diff carrier in a Boxer or TR.

Regarding dealer mentioning it to the next owner har-dee-har-har.

5. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    FWIW I purchased one with 5000 miles a little over a year ago. Great car! I searched for a specific color combination that took a while to find.
    A buddy bought one about 2 years ago. He immediately changed the tires to Michelin "non summer only " Tires for quieter and smotther ride. His had 14,000 miles when purchased and original tires.
    Depending on how critical you are about the ride, Jim Mero the retired Corvette handling engineer has a website and will re-program the MR shocks to provide a smoother ride.
    They seem to be holding their value better than the standard Z06 or Grand Sport convertible.
    Good Luck

6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Have owned a C6Z 2006 since new and have thoroughly enjoyed the LS7. So much so that in 2015 I added a 427 with very low miles. Thoroughly enjoy the car. The mag ride is an improvement but not to a Ferrari GT level ride. The later LS7 exhaust (about 2011+) sound is a lot of fun. You can feel a minimal amount of chassis flex in the convertible versus the coupe. Values dipped after purchase in 2015 but seem to be firming recently. One year only, 2552 produced provides some base to their market.
    Long term friends with original owners with at least 8 LS7’s between us. No issues. None of their heads have been off. Mileages vary to over a 140,000+ miles. These guys warm their cars up properly and enjoy them. I don’t drink the internet valve guide coolaid that didn’t even surface till 2015. If you are buying a used LS7 like any other sports car with mileage, has been around the block a few times, or plan to track the car I would look at it differently. I did the research to comfort myself. On a purchasing a low mileage original car owned by an adult I ask myself, would I rather have a GM production built car or one that a local shop pulls apart the car sends the heads off to a machine shop, they machine it correctly, then it goes back to be reassembled hopefully correctly. I’ll take my chances with GM.
    Just one opinion, not up for discussing.
    To the OP, feel free to start a conversation if I can offer further assistance.
    Bill
    FL

thecarreaper likes this.
  7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I owned maybe 5 or 6 C6 corvettes and the one I really miss is my 2013 427 convertible .. I had the white and blue interior package ... it was a great driving car with zero problems ... . of course I sold it with maybe 5000 miles on it
    keep thinking I might get another one day....

of2worlds likes this.
  8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tell us
    Tell us how it is, are you loving it. As a Boxer and 308 owner how are you liking the vette.

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#10 dwhite, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    [QUOTE="boxerman, post: 147705989, member: 8426 "Tell us how it is, are you loving it. As a Boxer and 308 owner how are you liking the vette.[/QUOTE]

Get your ass down to Florida and I'll give you a ride. It's very different than the 2 ferraris. The power is insane, but the steering while pricise does not give me the feel I get from either ferrari. Trying to find a road to feel the handeling. Couple exit ramps and it handles great(should with that much rubber hitting the road), but really would love to find a twisty road, may have to go to Georgia for that ;-)

of2worlds likes this.
  11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Get your ass down to Florida and I'll give you a ride. It's very different than the 2 ferraris. The power is insane, but the steering while pricise does not give me the feel I get from either ferrari. Trying to find a road to feel the handeling. Couple exit ramps and it handles great(should with that much rubber hitting the road), but really would love to find a twisty road, may have to go to Georgia for that ;-)[/QUOTE]

Ill be back in 2 weeks.
    Drove a c6 zo6 years ago. Thats what I thought too, accurate steering but lifeless.
    Youre not going to find more than on and off ramps with the occasional s bend in florida.
    Vettes and camaros are perfect for that, lots of rubber and lots of power for 10 secs of thrill, then its back to 80 on I95 or rolling with the oldies at 35 and other roads.

Such is life in florida that Im thinking of boats more than cars.

12. GO-RAN

GO-RAN Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    TORONTO
    I owned a C6Z years ago. I loved the thing and might add another. I sold mine due to the valve issue as I never really opened the engine to any of my cars to fix a known issue and didnt feel comfortable. there were too many opinions on whats right and wrong etc.

I will suggest a MGW short shifter and i had a corsa exhaust. The MGW unit just took the shifting to a whole other level. The gears are long so you dont do alot of shifting, but when u do its fantastic. The stock unit is great , nothing wrong with it , but i drove a buddies car with one and i had to have it.

cheers