7486 mi vetro car factory finishes | FerrariChat

7486 mi vetro car factory finishes

Discussion in '308/328' started by i-velocita, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    https://lbilimited.com/offerings/1976-ferrari-308-gtb-vetroresina/

There has already been a post re this sale car. A little different topic here — look at the original finishes on the wheels, window trims, bumpers.

There has been lots of talk re the correct wheel color for our 308s. Some point out the gray hued silver that was original from the factory. This car, presumably with minimal sunlight exposure and wear, shows distinctly silver wheel paint with a slight sheen.

Also good to see the original window trim sheen. Detailing products might affect this but probably as good of an indicator as is available today.

Bumpers have a slight sheen also. One interesting note re the rear bumper on this car is that the rubber end trims are attached to the bumper not the body. Also, the raised portion along the top of the bumper near the body is actually metal, not rubber. I know these details because I have a spare 1976 rear bumper in my garage.

Neat to learn about the tool/Jack kits being delivered in a cardboard box!

miketuason likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That site locked up my browser........while I do agree with you on the color of the wheels, I question the Campys on an 1976 car, altogether!!

This is one of our "North American 20 cars" so finding the whole history should be pretty easy....7K miles??
    Does that mean "since Clasiche??" and they reset the odometer??

Something is VERY odd about the window frames, and I say that's a paint fiish, it does not appear to be OEM black anodizing.....looks to have chips too..
    The first "tell" as I zoomed in and locked up my system, is that there is NO seam at the top rear frame!!
    There is a mitered saw joint in the material there and a weird bolt and conical nut on it, (on my 1976 and 77 steels.
    Maybe a glass car owner can confirm this miter was welded and ground smooth on the earlier cars??

What I was trying to see was the detail on the door wing vent window.
    My #20405 was built to an earlier methond, in lieu of the triangle window gasket they jammed the "fuzzy strip" outer window scrape material, to "build" the shape!

But you know, $330k maybe I am too picky!!

The proper bumper sheen should be satin as it's North American rubber units, the glass Euro bumpers could be painted matt or gloss but to me, the gloss looks wrong.

PM sent!

3. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Tex... Agree re the window trims. Look painted to me. I don’t have much experience w the really early cars though. Rear window trim looks totally foreign to me. My 1980 car just has a rubber gasket all the way around.

Beautiful car. Never tire of red or blue 308s. Would be fun if Vetro owners chimed in re the window trims.

4. ProvaMo

ProvaMo Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Mid West
    Full Name:
    Paul John
    I'm a prior vetroresina owner (up until ~10 years ago, I have a metal GTB and GTS now); the semi-gloss window frame <may> have been painted vs. anodized, I believe Boxers are painted like s/n 19529.

Two things regarding other finish areas:
    1- I thought all 308 Carb cars (Euro and Export) have semi-gloss black under the front bonnet/drip rail area including the wipers/squinter panel. Are vetroresina supposed to be in body color?
    2- Also, I thought the C-Pillar to quarter panel seam is supposed to be finished with a black urethane filler bead, like the steel cars... is this correct?

Either way, I really miss the rear bonnet "quick release" set-up on the glass cars... SO much easier for servicing!
    Paul

BigTex likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Early cars were body color at top of trunk where the washers are..

Good note also the sail panel terminates in a "soft" black bead, at the base..

ProvaMo likes this.