C8 CORVETTE | Page 42 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    being 1st on list for the flat plane crank is a risk i might not be willing to take. not easy to keep a big engine of that type together in one piece at 9000rpm. ford gt350 had troubles and i guarantee gm will too. i would wait

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    It will still be LS/LT based. GM has only built about a gazillion of them. Will there be potential problems just like C8's LT2 had? Probably. Third party vendors, etc..... But with warranty, who cares. It will be a sought after car.

DIGMAN52 and jm2 like this.
  3. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Let's say a Convertible Z06 with flat plane crank V8 runs about $120K out the door. Your choice would be a 10 year old used 458 spider with like 20K miles and no warranty and this....

458 rebuilt gearbox? Like 25 grand. Gulp!

5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I like mil green. I wonder how my 550 would look like that?

jm2 likes this.
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Only one way to find out.........

of2worlds likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    not let based at all. It’s based on the Cadillac black wing motor. An all new quad cam v8

k wright and BJK like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I thought 458 spiders were more like 200k?
    If the regular z06 is in at under 120k that would be great considering a well optioned z51 is already 85-90k.

either way a Vette is going to cost fractional amounts to run compared to a used 458.

VAF84 and k wright like this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    it will cost more. That’s my point. Even paying more you would have to get one with some mileage and pay a lot more for a car without a warranty.

k wright likes this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    all true
    I would argue they are very different machines. The Ferrari is far more compact probably significantly lighter and a tighter package.
    In common they will have the me layout and of course the na flat place crank motor.
    If The Vette team gets it right this car will be appealing in its own right regardless of price.

Realistically for under 150k or
    Even under 130k the choices are the z06 and cayman gt4. There’s really nothing else
    In that class for under 150k and for that matter youre out of luck again untill you get up to gt3 600lt levels of Money.

my use is probably different to most because I separate cars into those that can work on track and those that can’t. For road my 4cyl Alfa Giuliano’s already does it all and then some.

On track I’ve found nearly every road carTo be way too soft and wilty, the word flaccid comes to mind. Lotus Eliges and more recently the 4c shone on track, felling stiff tight with little fade over multiple laps .

I always think what car would really work on track and still be useable on street and easily drivable to the track for a day of fun while not being ruinous to run, from recent experience the 4c is a great pick even if it is nervous at the limit.
    Maybe a gt4rs Will amp it up, for a higher daily cost to run, the cayman guys tell
    Me rotors last mere days.
    If the z06 has the go and balance without wilting over multiple laps or burning up tires pads and rotors it’s a no brainer. I think it’s possible but the weight is a question mark no matter how much else they get right.

k wright likes this.
  13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    z06 will destroy tires and brakes since it will weigh over 3500 lbs if lucky and have over 600 hp. wonder if it will come with ccb standard which will be expensive proposition on track. cant a late model 458 still have included maintenance and an extended warranty? its a tough choice between these 2 cars depending on pricing.

k wright likes this.
  14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    To me the 458 is a cool collectable Ferrari Road car. It’s not disposable. It’s also not really a track car at all.
    The Vette is disposable and if gm is serious as they were with the c6 it might be able to hack it on track. Sadly the weight is an issue but who knows maybe rotors for these things are cheap.

TheMayor likes this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/first-2021-silver-flare-metallic-corvette-rolls-off-assembly-line/?fbclid=IwAR043H3uY93_N3S3Nr9GrY-M7EbK7yyGFg70aK1VZ81t7GNCtK6ZlYseqms

of2worlds and k wright like this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have any shown up yet in dealer stock for impulse purchase by the general public or is production still all owner specified cars?

jm2 likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Good question. Not sure, but I think it's still pretty much pre order cars.

k wright likes this.
  18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1043 TheMayor, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Yes. Most being offered $10K over MSRP. You can find them on Cars.com and on youtube. My belief is a lot of dealer ordered cars are sold even before the dealer receives it. Someone walks in asking to order one and is told one is coming and here's the price. Sold.

Haven't seen a convertible yet though.

My dealer in LA has one in his showroom with CA plates. Most likely on consignment. I drive past them all the time. I think its been there a good 3 weeks.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Z06 will come with CCB's. Tires are tires. The 488 isn't much lighter.

VAF84 likes this.
  20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im sure as an option but what about standard? hope some nice big steel ones with lots cooling ducts are std

boxerman likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    very interesting to see, hear this. if no gpf, it might just be best sounding engine in world when debuts

22. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I finally got to see one in the flesh today, a blue convertible with the 3LT and carbon package. Very nice ride but I was surprised how large a car it is.

of2worlds and DIGMAN52 like this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It is not a small car. Its 2 feet longer than my Alfa 4c. But its not that far from a 458.