RHD White / Blue Boxer BBi Restoration Video | FerrariChat

RHD White / Blue Boxer BBi Restoration Video

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dave80gtsi, Dec 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
  2. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    This car was once in perfect condition, but sat outside in the UK weather for 14 years! It has an inch of mold and moss all over it!

This is the same guy who bought that 1986 Testarossa homemade convertible disaster project (listed for sale on F chat for years) and created the “Ratarossa”.

This will be a DIY restoration and will be fun to watch.

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Just caught the video on Youtube. He usually posts here. I hope he continues.

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    This will be interesting. I think the surface rust will be the least of his worries,

Glad that it has been rescued though! I do hate to see lovely cars rot away.

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    My best guess is that this car recovery will not be covered on fchat. By the way Newman and others in the same league has shown how to deal with projects of this nature. Anyhow it will be very interesting to follow.

best, Peter

6. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Just started watching the video, sad to see anyone abandon a car like that to the elements.

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    So, £80k. Given a classiche certified one sold for under £200k recently,will there be any profit in it; or is it build your dream BB and never mind the £?

8. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Altough there doesn't seem to be too much welding involved, I think we can still apply the Car-SOS-Average of 900 hours to make it acceptable again (but not perfect). Let's not forget to add parts for 20-30k.

It can turn a profit only if
    1) the hours are not accounted for as in a workshop (I think that's a given with ratarossa)
    2) youtube revenue compensates (3-5$ per 1'000 views)
    3) some of the $$ is accounted as an investment into his digital brand

He's acquiring a whole new much larger community of non-owners. This can only be positive for all of us!

I'd dare to predict that the sales price will be in-line with market when he sells, as the buyer will be 40+. In 10+ years this might change as the now 20+ year olds might be prepared to buy the "ratarossa build" at a premium.

Let's give this fellow enthusiast a hand and watch the newest episode:

A348W likes this.
  9. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    After viewing the latest video (above), can any current Boxer owners comment on the referenced 'strange noise'?

10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    It is noise from the Dinoplex ignition box. It's a very common whine sound that's well known amongst BBi owners. The sound get's increasingly high when the box is about to crap out.

Best, Peter

ross and Qavion like this.
  11. MonoSpecchio

MonoSpecchio Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2006
    SoCal in the IE
    Latest update is he has a bad leak down thru exhaust on cylinder 12. Doesn’t appear to have a stuck valve. Skip to 19:00 to see the score video and leakdown.

12. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    actually these videos have been posted already on fchat, just not all in one place.