Cool airplane photo thread | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Cool airplane photo thread

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Good eye! I can barely make out the Red Bull logos on the sides of the nose after you said that.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The first historically recorded flight of a pig took place on at Leysdown in Kent (Great Britain) on November 4, 1909. With this flight, the aristocratic British aviator J.T.C. Moore-Brabazon, later the First Lord Brabazon of Tara, made porcine aviation a reality. He fixed a wicker basket to a wing strut of his personal French-built Voisin biplane and carefully strapped a pig into it. The basket had a hand written sign “I AM THE FIRST PIG TO FLY”. Then he took bemused pig for a flight of about 3.7 miles from Shellbeach, the Short Brothers airfield at Leysdown on the Isle of Sheppey.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Something that an ME-109 pilot would not like to see in his rear view mirror.

Island Time and TheMayor like this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Giving rise to one of my all-time favorite responses........:p

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Love the old Lockheed star emblem on that one. They named all their aircraft with celestial references until USAF screwed up the naming process.

TheMayor likes this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes! These are such beautiful examples of the beautiful airplanes that Lockheed produced. I flew as crew on a C-60 during the war, saw a few P-38's, knew an ex-air force ace who owned one in the 60's, and was fortunate to fly a Model 12. Lockheed did beautiful stuff and they flew as nice as they looked. At least the Model 12 did since it was my only opportunity to experience one.

TheMayor likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    tritone, Tobi and TheMayor like this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Shot a lot of photos today as the weather was great. Sky ended up looking too blue in some of these photos from the polarizing filter I used on my camera.

@Bob Parks probably will recognize the two big Boeings. The very first 777 ever and the 25th 747 ever.

The Tomcat is always way larger than I remember every time I see one up close. They are absolutely massive and make an F16 look like a miniature plane.

Sir_Ferrari, Boomhauer and Tobi like this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Not sure if this is going to display right, but my favorite photo today was with my cell phone and not DSLR. edit: ya too bad it won't show full-res clickable.

Boomhauer, Tobi and TheMayor like this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Glad to hear Russ is doing well. Is he still in Texas?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    I think he is now just outside Dayton at his WW1 airstrip replica.

Best regards,

Robert

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Tcar, Boomhauer and TheMayor like this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Whenever I see a P-38 I think about my late friend, Larry Blumer, an ace in the P-38. He had acquired a P-38 from South America well after the war and kept it in a big hangar that he built at Thun Field. I won't get into the intricacies of his dealings but he had it locked away in the hangar out of sight and "out of payment". It was eventually activated and flown by the late Chuck Lyford in several airshows, Abbottsford the main one, where he performed the engine out aerobatic show that Bob Hoover did the next year in his Shrike. I am in the process of writing the account of Blumer's action at Clastres France where he shot down 5 FW-190's in something like 10 minutes. He was a squadron commander at the time and took his squadron along with another one into the biggest aerial dog fight of the war where there were over 75 airplanes involved. They wiped out one German squadron completely and they downed more than 30 airplanes. Eye witness on the ground said that the sky was full of flaming aircraft. A German FW-190 pilot survivor said that it was no place for a beginner. I believe that I have written about Larry's adventures over there and how he trained with Chuck Yeager at Tonapah in P-39's where they would land on a highway and have lunch at a hamburger joint and go on to do their thing. His stories were full of his blatant disregard for any rules then as they were when I knew him doing the air show circuit. It was a kick to fly with him in his Student Prince biplane in the 60's but it was total boredom to him. He loved action and he loved to fight. He died in a small town in Oregon in quieter obscurity. He wasn't someone that you would want your daughter to marry but he was someone that we desperately needed during the war and a warrior that our enemies thought that we didn't have. He was one of many.

18. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Tcar and Bob - yes, it has the metal grille. Unique as it has updraft cooling.
    Correct, Bob, it has the O-300 (145 HP) Continental. Before restoration, it had the 125 HP Continental.
    Thanks for the comments,
    Bob Z.

19. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  20. FL410guy

FL410guy Karting

Apr 18, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    Island Time, sigar, TheMayor and 4 others like this.
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Happy New Year everyone! Shot this photo today from a few thousand feet up after a hike up Cat Mountain locally (no trail up so I got cut up bad up and down lol). Photo is of Tucson International Airport, cropped. N787RR in the background with the gigantic engine #2 for Rolls Royce's test bed. Foreground is a ton of F16s part of the ANG...largest F16 fighter wing I believe. Some private jets for the holidays and the pax commercial planes are to the right out of image...nice variety overall. Probably last photo I will have taken to post here. Nothing else interesting planed in the near future.

jcurry, TheMayor and Bob Parks like this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Took a lot of external fuel to get an F-104 very far. Great photos with the J79 afterburner lit.

TheMayor likes this.