New 355 video (jayemm) | FerrariChat

New 355 video (jayemm)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Jackie and bill, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    It's like Christmas, what with the 348 video yesterday and the 355 today. :)
    Enjoy it......or not. Either way your welcome.

2. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Thanks for posting, I agree with the conclusion, but admit that I am totally biased having owned a 1995 355 Berlinetta for 15 years. Forza Ferrari, Forza F355!

mclaudio, Robb and MAD828 like this.
  3. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for sharing! As someone who has been toying with the idea of swapping my 355 for a 550, I found his input informative.

4. gf1red

gf1red Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Staten Island N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Thanks for posting. "The greatest car in the world......ever." I'm not going to argue with him.

MAD828 likes this.
  5. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Nice review by Jay Emm. Steering is the big one that the 355 could be improved upon for driving feel. I wish the car he reviewed had a better sounding muffler though. Sounded like an original Tubi. Needed more pitch, a Tubi Evolution or Capristo being a 5.2 car would have added to the theater.

Qavion likes this.
  6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Chris, there's an easy solution to your problem...keep the 550 and buy an F355...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

:)

tres55 likes this.
  7. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    The solution tonthe steering is to buy a 355 challenge ! Kart like steering, really can’t fault it !

mclaudio likes this.
  8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I was going to mention this too. My 355 Challenge car steering is just fine. But I believe the challenge cars have a different ratio rack than the street cars. Maybe Ferrari made the change due to the feedback they got?

mclaudio likes this.
  9. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Yes the F355 Challenge has a faster steering rack ratio and an updated power steering pump to suit.

mclaudio, 308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Interesting. I didn't realise. I thought about changing the rack on mine (should I win the lottery :rolleyes: ), complex in itself, but this adds another level of complexity/expense.

11. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky

From the F355 Challenge Technical Regulations Manual...

Here is the Power Steering Reservoir, along with the required Gearbox Oil Reservoir, on my F355 Challenge...

Qavion likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I assume the supplementary tanks are for racing only?

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, Ian. I have a similar Engine Oil Reservoir mounted in the front boot. I don't have a picture to post. Challenge cars are driven to extremes and need these reservoirs.

I've never driven a regular F355 so I can't make a steering comparison. The Challenge rack is a bit faster but I'm not sure how much. Right now my car is in storage. I'll catch up with it again at Sebring in February and check lock-to-lock.

As the Challenge pump and rack are different, I'm sure the steering feels different in comparison to a regular F355. My car feels "just right" to me both in the pit and at speed on the track.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, Barry.
    I'm having problems getting used to the steering on the 355. I previously had a Lotus Esprit (similar era to F348) and the unassisted steering felt quicker. I'm not sure if it actually was. There were 2.9 turns from left to right, but I can't recall the angle the wheels went to at full lock.

Ferrari lock to lock turns here (Challenge vs regular):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/142090592/

308 GTB likes this.
  15. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Agree on 355 Ch ps making a significant difference.

Just to add: my 355 Ch has manual steering, which bumps 355Ch steering feel/feedback a few more levels up. A month or so ago, I drove 6GT3, ac non-ps 911 and non-ps 355Ch back to back to back. 355Ch steering for the win...even compared to an early 911’s lively steering feel.

308 GTB and Qavion like this.
  16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Thank-you for those Challenge rack specifications, Ian. It confirms the fine steering feel I experience driving the F355 Challenge on the track. The steering does not feel overboosted with the Challenge rack and pump combination.

It's been a while since I drove a car without power steering. The last was my 308 GTB which I sold eight years ago. My first car, a 1969 MGB, didn't have power steering either. The steering sensation I had driving those two cars must be similar to yours driving the Esprit.

I'm lucky to have Dave's (ferraridriver) switchable FHP steering unit installed in my 550. The stock power steering is "variable-assist" with boost lessening as speed increases. It's a good solution for a two ton car. Switching to FHP steering also put the car in SPORT mode (the SPORT switch on the console is used for switching). The FHP steering is also variable-assist but there is less power steering boost at all comparable speeds when in NORMAL mode. Dave developed a fine system which Ferrari didn't think of when the 550 was developed. I'm one of ten lucky 550 owners who have Dave's upgrade. Thank-you again, Dave!!!

I'd like to go back to the three overflow reservoirs I have in my Challenge car. The overflow reservoir up front is a brake fluid overflow reservoir. It's situated near the stock reservoir.

Barry