Help-458 Compression Test Ok? | FerrariChat

Help-458 Compression Test Ok?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mialro, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mialro

Mialro Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Considering a 2012 458 Italia with 11k miles. Ferrari dealer compression test results as follows:
    1-152
    2-150
    3-148
    4-152
    5-150
    6-145
    7-145
    8-148
    Dealer says results are fine. Reading other threads I know differential between cylinders reasonably low more important than actual PSI levels. But when I bought my previous 2005 7k mile F430 the tests were 195-200.

Should I be concerned about horsepower loss? Dealer say no leakdown test needed given the compression test results and they are selling vehicle with a 2 year Ferrari warranty.

What do tech experts think?

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

If they're selling the car with a 2 year warranty , i don't think you have reason to be concerned....lots of variables go into a compression test and the readings that come out of it.

3. ilko

ilko Karting

Aug 20, 2008
    There are different types of gauges and measurements that will produce different results. The important thing is that the compression numbers between the cylinders are pretty close. Now, if you had one or two at 175 or a 130 I'd be concerned. But with those uniform numbers you have nothing to worry about.

4. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    152psi is about 10,5bar. It’s very low. This engine cant work on cylinder under about 9bar. This engine should show at least about 12-12,5 bar on each cyl. First I’ll check if the measurement was properly taken. If yes, the numbers are low. But as others said, one thing is good, that there are no big differences between cylinders.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FWIW , for New Power Warranty inspections we run an electronic compression test. Under special circumstances we can run a mechanical compression test.

I’ll take a look at the last few inspections to see how their numbers compare with yours.

I can tell you, Ferrari would not allow the 2 for 1 New Power if the test were not to their spec.

S

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Did they manually open the valves in the throttle body during the test? That can negatively affect pressures sometimes.

Also, were all the plugs out during the test or did they go one by one?

Was the gauge calibrated prior to testing?

Usually as long as the readings are all within a few percent of each other then you're ok. Also was the motor hot or cold?

Ray

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. Mialro

Mialro Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Thanks a lot for all responses. I will find out more details about test conditions and will revert

8. Mialro

Mialro Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Hey folks: here is the answer to the questions from Rayjohns:
    1. Throttle value isn’t touched to do compression test. If reading are with in 10PSI of each other all is good.
    2. Proper process is one by one
    3. Motor is cold.
      Thoughts?

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As you note your grouping is fine - nothing else matters as there are so many other variables including technique equipment and ambient - this is a positive result

10. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I would think that if your compression readings were supposed to be up around 200psi, at least one of your readings would be near there. The fact that they are all close together at 150ish, it seems to me that the motor is in good shape.

I’ve never seen cylinders that wear evenly from 200ish down to 150ish. If there’s a problem with the motor, there’s usually one or two cylinders that read low, with the others reading high. Usually the low cylinder(s) is the one that ran the hottest.

I’m sure you are fine and shouldn’t worry.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Mialro

Mialro Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Thank you very much guys! It’s great to hear from pros. Will post pics when car delivered