Dry sump engine oil change - Any refilling precautions? | FerrariChat

Dry sump engine oil change - Any refilling precautions?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, Dec 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Merry Christmas!

Are there any unique precautions to take when refilling oil in a dry sump engine after an oil change?

The Owners Manual is silent on the issue - apparently one just refills the reservoir tank..

..but I think I drained a about two quarts/liters of oil when emptying the oil pan on our Khamsin, so I wonder if there is a way to replenish that, to avoid the engine being "dry" for the seconds it takes for the fresh oil to circulate upon startup after an oil change.

The only precaution I know of at the moment is to fill the oil filter before installing it.

Thanks,
    - Art

Nembo1777 likes this.
  2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Merry Christmas to you Art

I am 97.8% certain that when you fill the reservoir the sump first fills up. To test this theory, just leave the sump's drain plug off and then start filling the reservoir. If oil starts coming out of the sump's drain plug then you know it is reaching the sump. Let us know what you find out.

Ivan

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    On a dry sump engine, the oil in the sump is scavanged and pumped back to the tank. The oil "pressure" pump is fed directly from the tank, so filling the tank will assure an immediate supply of oil to the pressure pump when the engine is started. If you had a way to add oil to the sump, when the engine is started, it would just be pumped back to the tank by the scavenge pumps.

71Satisfaction and Nembo1777 like this.
  4. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I really don't know the technical stuff, but have been changing dry sump oils for 14+ years on my Quattroporte, Gransport and Z06 and you basically fill from the reservoir, 100+ track days later on the Z06 and, 150k miles later on 3 different Maseratis, knock on wood, no problems!

5. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Aha! OK. Great, this makes sense, thank you - with the oil pickup in the sump shown in the 'exploded view' parts catalog, I thought the sump pickup was the feed to the engine.. not back to the reservoir..

But now this makes more sense - the reservoir is the reliable "never-runs-dry" feed to the oil pump, of course.
    Thank you.
    - Art

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Art: When the motor is shut off, over time, some oil will drain back through the piping and work its way through the scavenge pumps to the sump. This process is referred to as "wet sumping". This is the reason you need to check the tank oil level immediately after shutting the engine off. It is just the opposite of checking the oil in a wet sump car, when you want to let all the oil drain down into the sump, With the dry sump engines, you want to see the level BEFORE any oil has begun to slowly drain out of the tank. Checking the oil tank level when cold can sometimes lead to adding more oil and overfilling the entire system.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Another related thought is to spin the engine up on the starter with no plugs to get oil pressure through the motor, then refit the plugs and start (I think this was originally an Ivan trick). I do this after the car has been sitting for an extended period.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you. This is probably more extensive than necessary in my case. It's a running and driving car, just my first oil change on a dry sump engine, so not a long-term storage issue. I've primed engines and oil pumps before, but only on freshly overhauled engines... and for those I'll even squirt a dab of engine oil into the cylinder to line the piston before cranking. There's a number of ways to oil up an engine. Few of them are wrong.