GTC4Lusso V12 - is it a long term keeper for you? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

GTC4Lusso V12 - is it a long term keeper for you?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Maloja, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you for that.. I actually love the Lusso in the cold and snow so much fun! Even my Pista with winters is a blast...

2. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Loved my FF but have to admit after 18,000 mls in the Lusso it is easier to live with. Smoother gearbox at lower speeds, faster spool up, better front end traction on icey passes but had the Lusso not existed I would still have the FF and still would have loved it.

Mine is definitely staying with me especially as it now only loses about £10k a year in depreciation :)

Bundy, of2worlds, otakki and 3 others like this.
  3. Jas

Jas Formula 3

Mar 2, 2005
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Jas
    Depreciation? They are definitely going up in UK this year. Prices are now higher than I paid exactly a year ago.

otakki, Caeruleus11 and uhn2000 like this.
  4. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    While I haven't had it as long as some of you, I've had so much fun in it so far. It's such a winner given that my whole family can be in it with me.

Now if only Brooke Race would ship that darn exhaust out for me already!

otakki, Caeruleus11 and Moopz like this.
  5. Georgemaser

Georgemaser Karting

Aug 7, 2014
    Michigan
    Had a 2016 FF (bought new, left over at a dealer) loved it but thought I wanted more so bought a 2017 F12 ( another new, left over one), missed the FF. Was an all round beast. Sold the F12 and bought a 2017 very low mile GTC4 Lusso. Such a great vehicle. I have had it for a year and it now has 10,000 miles on it . I love this thing. Checks all the boxes for me. When everyone talks about the FF being more raw, I am not sure about that or I just don’t remember it being like that. I like the looks of the FF better but like the little technology improvements better in the Lusso. The navigation unit in the FF use to take me the on longest route to get somewhere. None the less, the V12 makes them both so awesome and soon there may not be anymore V12s available from any car manufacturer. I am holding on to mine forever! Happy Holidays

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes, exactly, the GTC4 and FF are vehicles uniquely “Ferrari” and while I am sure what comes next will be excellent, I am not so sure they will be as quirky or niche- and that’s part of the appeal, at least for me.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bundy, of2worlds, otakki and 3 others like this.
  7. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    35K miles in 3.5 years. Sure love my clownshoe FF and plan to keep it forever. I don't DD it, but monthly weekend trip of around 800 miles is the norm, plus the biannual 2K/trip to FL in the past couple of years. Yup, nearly all highway miles.

Not sure about the front diff being better and having better traction. Both cars use the same 4RM. Maybe programmed differently...

Maloja and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Took delivery of my Lusso May 2017 and have over 10k miles of pure pleasure on it. Plan on keeping it for a very long time and took the optional 2 year warranty last May. Really don’t know what I’d buy to replace it? Great car!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    I think you are correct in that it is mainly the programming as now in the Lusso 90% of traction can go to the front wheel neading power whereas only a fraction of that went in the FF. I notice when going over the passes on the Swiss/Italian border there is no fear of the front breaking away on the skiddy stuff, not that the FF was any less able but the Lusso feels more assured.

otakki and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Can this be true? I was under the impression that the PTU was physically limited to no more than about 20% of total power and torque. The design is pretty much unchanged from the FF to the Lusso.

I can imagine that the programming of how much the PTU clutches slip could differ from the two cars but I can’t see the Lusso having a higher absolute level of traction.

11. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    #36 Moopz, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    I think it was Tiff Needel's review on YouTube that mentions this difference between the FF and Lusso. 90% of torque being applied to a single wheel in the Lusso where that wasn't possible in the FF.

Edit: it's at the 2:06 mark. FF allows 30%, Lusso 90%.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ANOpax and 350MH83 like this.
  12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the link to Tiff’s review. It does seem that the PTU can handle an enormous amount of torque despite being less than 1/3 the weight of the DCT!

I found this interview that Automotive Engineering conducted with Ferrari’s CTO in which he explains how Ferrari improved the handling and power/torque management of the Lusso over the FF.

“In general we wanted to improve the torque vectoring, with more flexibility to put the right amount of torque to the correct wheel," explained Ferrari Chief Technology Officer Michael Leiters during the new Lusso's debut at the 2016 Geneva Salon. "Therefore, we had to do two things: firstly, to estimate and control more precisely the slip of any wheel and, secondly, to improve the flexibility of the system to distribute the torque,”

He added: “We are now able to put up to 20% more torque to the front axle with a maximum of 1400 N·m (1032 lb·ft) to either wheel and up to 90% of torque to the outer wheel during cornering."

To view an animation of the new Ferrari driveline: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVsZ2A3mXgs.

Rapid response time

Leiters told Automotive Engineering at Geneva that his team's idea for the new driveline was "to increase driveability in low-grip situations, which is why we decided to have AWD available through to fourth gear of the main transmission: We wanted to improve that system, especially in low-grip, wet and snow conditions.”

To achieve that, Ferrari developed a new software algorithm to estimate wheel slip. Known as ‘Slip Control Version 4’ it employs a different suite of sensors, including speed sensors for the wheels and acceleration sensors, to more accurately calculate the precise manner in which the wheels slip, while improving reaction time over the outgoing technology by between “10 to 20%,” according to Leiters.

Although ZF provides the GTC4 Lusso's mechanical hardware, the software and algorithm development has all been done in-house at Ferrari and is subjected to its own patents.

The second major update was increasing the amount of torque available to the front wheels by optimizing the AWD system’s thermal management. “Previously that was one of our limits, but the cooling system and heat exchanger is more efficient than the previous one,” claimed Leiters.

From its original concept, Ferrari's AWD was intended to be much more than a stand-alone system.

"It was our initial idea to combine it with electrically-actuated rear-wheel steering; when you drive on snow with torque vectoring on the front axle you get increased control," Leiters explained. "But also having rear-wheel steering, that helps us a lot compared to other cars which have a very neutral behavior but can be very difficult to control when they start to oversteer."

With the GTC4 Lusso, the car is "very precise and predictable, so you feel how the car is at the back. It’s much easier [to control] than the previous FF when we tested it on ice," Leiters noted.

Although the system alters the rear-wheel angle by no more than 3º, Leiters maintained that the speed of reaction is most important. Beyond saying that it’s “very, very” fast" he wouldn’t divulge reaction time. He added that the keys to the system's enhanced effect on stability are the new algorithms that predict both the car’s behavior and the driver’s inputs.

Maloja, otakki, Moopz and 3 others like this.