Gauge plastic has "stain" | FerrariChat

Gauge plastic has "stain"

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Dec 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    Removed my instrument pod to replace some bulbs and treat the leather with Leatherique rejuvenator oil. PO had interior plastic redone by Sticky No More (about 5 years ago) and looks great....looked great.......

I applied a liberal amount of the oil and after letting soak in for a couple days, I noticed a run on the plastic between the tach and speedo. Its not horrible, but I would like to get it out and cleaned up. I tried some Dawn soap and water, lemon pledge, and Leatherique pristine clean with no luck.

anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to use? Wanting to proceed cautiously.....

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    According to Leatherique it should be should be safe on plastic, but after you've seen what this product does to the plastic containers it comes in, I would make sure it's all cleaned up.

Has the plastic between the gauges been treated by StickNoMore? If so, maybe they have some suggestions.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I understand that the run is on the outside of the clear plastic cover over the main instrument cluster. Or is it perhaps inside? Make sure, it is hard to tell inside or outside.

If the stain is on the outside, you can try with car (paint) polish. I have used it on many clear plastic instrument covers and it is very safe. I have even used "scratch-off" (harsher) types of car polish with no damage to the plastic surface at all. The car polish can also remove some very light scratches on the plastic and otherwise make it very clear.

4. whyte

whyte Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2006
    Merritt Island, FL
    Full Name:
    John C
    My other hobby is restoring arcade and pinball machines, where I work with a lot of clear plastics that are heat damaged, stained, and just plain old. I'd recommend starting with 210. It is life changing for plastics. I use it on all my tail lights, plexiglass, etc. Regularly used on my instrument panel clear plastics, on all vehicles. Restores a smooth sheen that you won't get from other cleaners. Try it once and it will become a permanent fixture in your cleaning supplies. (No affiliation, I just love a product that works.)

https://www.amazon.com/40934-210-Plastic-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B00AWRFAHY

For stains, you may need something with a sligh abrasive. The gold standard is Novus 1, 2 and 3. Start with the weakest and work your way up as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-Plastic-Polish-Cleaning-Set/dp/B004QYF12I

I'm sure there are pro detailers that have car specific recommendations as well, but these have never failed me.

5. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    #6 Carmellini, Dec 24, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    I should have been more clear about my "stain." It is on the black plastic between the tach and small gauges. I tried to photograph, but it will not show up properly. Here is an example in blue pen:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

the oil ran down this line and left the "stain." just tried Plastic X cleaner and no change. Nothing I have done has made it worse, it just isn't cleaning up. I guess it has imprinted or embedded into the finish. In normal circumstances it cannot be seen; its only visible when direct light hits that exact spot, and with the hood of the leather pod, that is not often. again, it is not a horror show, I would just like to make every decent attempt to make it better.

That's what I have read; I did leave it on for a few days.........

One more note: I cannot be certain exactly which pieces were sent out for sticky repair, but the center console pieces feel completely tack free, while the black plastic between the gauges feels different; not really tacky or sticky, but not dry, like the other bits.

6. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Probably will have to remove pod and guages, then remove instruments and re paint the panel. Other wise it will drive you nuts every time you look at it...........sorry that this happened . I've had my share also. JGW

7. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    LOL...you are most correct.....this is something that WILL drive me nuts........oh well, another project to tackle.....all good

8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    An original panel is finished with the same stuff Ferrari used for other parts which ultimately turned sticky. So your panel has been refinished in the past and will have to be refinished again. Like you said, it's another project for you to tackle.

9. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    well, just a thought before removing and refinishing..... try spraying WD40 on a cloth and wiping it down. You never know, might be the 100000 &1 new wd40 cure. A couple of years ago I total wrapped my 348 to trailer to FL for the winter. The plastic wrap left some edge wind burns on it. Tried everything in the book to remove, It was like it was swirl painted in. then I tried wd40... came off in seconds! It was more than a shock, just saying!

10. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    I removed and refinished my own after considering sending it off and I’m pleased with the results. I figured, couldn’t hurt to try and didn’t want the car down for an extended period. I used 1200 grit sand paper and after experimenting, found Krylon Colormaxx paint+primer, 5546 flat black to produce a nice finish. Caution, if you start the car with the binnacle removed, an airbag fault will occur.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Koenig1 like this.
  11. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice job Mike. Looks great.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  12. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    +1...looks fantastic

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    FYI If you decide to send it to SNM you will get really quick turnaround provided the shipping services get their act together now that the holiday is past. I sent him my dash and console parts on a Wednesday and they were back in my car the following Tuesday. Robbie must work on this stuff 24/7/. :)

285ferrari likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I recall that you don't even have to start the car. Just the ignition on will result in a trip to your local Ferrari dealer.

15. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Good to know Ian. I learned the hard way. I took the car to Dave Helms to clear the fault with his SD, although he said it might not clear. Well, he, as always was correct.

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We will be happy to refinish any parts for you, make them look great with no stains.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat