Bleeding the air out of coolant on 456M (?) | FerrariChat

Bleeding the air out of coolant on 456M (?)

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Dec 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I think I have an air pocket in my cooling system and the WSM I just bought is less than clear on removing the trapped air via the bleeder screw?

Do I open the bleeder valve when engine is cold to release any air trapped and then, start the car and keep open until the car is up to temp or do I close it and then reopen when the car is at temperature (which seems dangerous) ? It states to have the heater dial turned all the way up but does not say to start the engine (?)

Thanks for any help guys, I know this must be a simple task but I just do not know.
    Will I hear the air escape ?

F456M likes this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Jeff. This is not rocket science actually. Just fill the tank with the screw open till it pours out of the screw. Tighten the screw and then start up. Screw it out once in a while to let the air come out. It can take some time. The tank has several hoses connected to it. They will all have to be open and unblocked. You can take them off the engine is cold and try to blow and see that they are open (pressure come put of the other hoses). Especially the small one from under the plenum can block quite easily. Just let the engine run at idle with the heater on. When steady flow of water comes at the bleed screw you are done. Drive and get some revs and then bleed some more. That should do the trick. Dave here (Ferraridriver), made a «steam vent hose» which is basically a small hose from the bleed screw to the top of the expansion tank. It makes this process no more a process. It becomes self bleeding and just add coolant and it is done. I did it to my car and I really love it. All new cars are like that. No reason ours shouldn’t...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thank you for taking the time to provide that direction F456M. Greatly appreciated and I get what you are saying.

Oddly, I just noticed some white “spray pattern” residue on both the underside of the hood above the air cleaners and directly below that covering both air-intake boxes. I just detailed the engine bay yesterday, what the heck ?

F456M likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    That sounds a bit odd to me. I had the same white residue of coolant spray when my reservoire cap was not tight. Bought a new one and it never came back. Air expands a lot more so when the engine heats up while you have a lot of air in the coolant system, the pressure get excessiv and the overflow function in the cap can open and make things start to happen. Make sure it is a tight cap first.

5. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Doing the coolant on my 456M this weekend. Another vote for the QuickJack which gets the car to a workable height in about 2min (I spend a lot of time making sure the lifting blocks interface perfectly with the lift points). I also use Race Ramps for redundancy as I am getting right underneath the car.

Got the old stuff out which actually looked pretty good. From my binder of documents, looks like last flush was January 2020. Got the radiator plug and the RHS plug off the engine block, but there was no way I was getting to the LHS one. After about 45min of various tools, I was able to get a long 6mm hex key into the socket but was unable to generate any torque to loosen it. Seeing how I drained off a lot of coolant and the overall good condition, I feel discretion is the better part of valor here.

Refilling with Zerex G05 using a Venturi vacuum system. Will bleed afterwards according the WSM.

Overall a pretty fun job despite the mess. Having the F1 on in the background makes for a pleasant afternoon.

I still struggle with the vague descriptions in the WSM when it comes to torque specs. Page B76 of the 456M WSM has the torque spec of 9Nm for the 'water drain plug', which seems like not a lot. Typically I like to use a bit less force than the old German "Gutentight" from my Porsche wrenching. Can anyone confirm this is the correct torque for the radiator bolt?

Will report back with how it goes after a test-drive. Never had an issue with cooling, but I am really enjoying working on the car and getting to know more about it.

Wrench on!

KrissKross likes this.
  6. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    What symptoms are you experiencing? Top it off cold, run motor to temp with full heat. I bled mine while running. Put a rag around the T-stat housing and just crack the bleeder screw half a turn with a long socket. Steam, bubbles or water will escape. Once its just coolant close it, go for a drive and repeat a few times. Once its cooled down later check and adjust the coolant level in the tank if needed.

If you are losing coolant and its not from the motor, suspect the electrical water pump which is behind the right front wheel well panel. Don't worry its a way bigger pain in the ass than it looks!

7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    #7 Mirek, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Since I posted that I have had the radiator out 3x. Total nightmare but now resolved !

Shop #1 pulled radiator, cleaned it and replaced coolant, then weeks later found and tried tried to weld a pin hole on radiator near the top hose connection while still in the car ! (unsuccessfully as I later learned). No more shop #1.

Shop #2 pulled the radiator, had it re-cored, addressed a small leak at water pump during the major service. Replace coolant. Inspect. Still ran hot. Belt squeal after the major and missing bolts brought it back to shop #2 another two times. No more shop #2.

Shop #3 (the best in LA I believe) pulled radiator, cleaned it, replaced coolant with coolant and some water wetter(?) properly fixed that same tiniest of pin holes, installed new SPAL fans as the OEM’s were no longer working to spec and upgraded wiring and routed power directly from battery to save the circuit board of that duty. They also noticed that my belts were very loose (and some emissions items were installed wrong !) So they sent it RIGHT BACK to shop #2 (who did my major) to address the loose belts, etc…

Problem solved by shop #3.
    R&S Auto for the WIN and they are 2.5 miles from my damn house.

8. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Oh duhhhh ‍... just noticed the dates... disregard

9. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Actually R&S just finished up maybe a month or so ago…

2 years asking shops to get this right until I met the owner of R&S at a Malibu car show. Who drives a 456M too.

So this is fresh in my mind. Fan motors on these cars (IMO) are to be considered “consumables” like clutches or brake pads.

10. dr_rob

dr_rob Karting

Oct 8, 2008
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes apologies all for the thread bump. I never know whether to start a new one or not.

Summary: happy with result. Got out over 2/3 of what looked like pretty clean coolant. Used the vacuum tool and zero pressure was about 4cm below the top of the tank. Held negative pressure nicely so that’s a plus.

Bled via screw per WSM and went out for a run. Sits under 190 on the drive, and after 10min idling afterwards it sat bang on 190.

Followed it up with a Leatherique treatment and wash/wax. F1 in the background and a beer in hand.

Looking forward to the next job. Again, based on time and what I have in the service binder it looks like I’ll refresh the transmission filters (the easy ones) and the fluid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Waggntx and Mirek like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If you used a pressure filler, it really should not need bleeding. For folks without one, it helps to elevate the front of the car so the bleed valve is at the highest point.

KrissKross and Solid State like this.