Price speculation on 2019 Portofinos for 1st Quarter 2021 | FerrariChat

Price speculation on 2019 Portofinos for 1st Quarter 2021

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by drcollie, Nov 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    I was at my local Ferrari Dealer yesterday and took a good test drive in a 2020 Portofino - just loved the car and I'm definitely sold on it. Problem is, I have a Cali T budget (first world problem, I know), but the styling of the Portofino and better dash layout is what really does it for me.

In talking with my dealer, he said to me "Just hold off a bit, we expect 2019 Portofino's to drop into the high $ 180's to low $ 190's by February/March, I can find you one in that price range then if you can wait. We have quite a number sold in the Washington DC area and many inquiries into the new Portofino M, we will begin orders on those shortly and will be getting in a number of consignments - I'll call you, just don't be in a rush"

What's the collective opinion on that price assessment? TIA

russellmcg likes this.
  2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I'm guessing Portofino will follow the Cali T depreciation curve. Originally test drove a Porto but "settled" on a California T with 4000 miles. It still smelled new, suspension/undercarriage/engine was factory clean but someone else ate over $100,000 in depreciation.

SLViper1 likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I hope your dealer is correct @drcollie.
    I have not noticed any downward movement in Porto prices on cars.com, although I have not followed it religously. However, with PortoM, winter and perhaps some more examples with more than delivery miles coming on to the market, there may be some downward pressure on the '19s. Countering that, from talking to people, and reading on F-chat, Ferrari seem to be flying out the doors, so perhaps stocks are lower, and prices remain firm?
    T

russellmcg likes this.
  4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    russellmcg and tomc like this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you want to entertain a T, this the car I have been ogling of late.
    Late T, not a common everyday color, HS package. Price is a tad high perhaps, but you get CPO and a quality dealership.
    https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/829277825/overview/

T

SLViper1 and russellmcg like this.
  6. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    I test drove a 2019 Porto in Summer and almost bought it. However, after a test drive with a 2017 Cali T HS with 6k miles I concluded that the price difference of 70k between the two was not justified and that waiting 2-3 years for a 2020 Porto was the right thing to do. Since then I'm a happy owner of a Cali T HS. Cali T's offer great value for the money these days.

SLViper1 and tomc like this.
  7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    And those are not listed on the trunk plaque. Only HELE and backup camera, which I think are no cost, mandatory options?

It's an early car. You sort of wonder if someone had to buy a Porto to get a Pista or some such, and decided to order a total stripper spec?!?

T

russellmcg likes this.
  9. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Thanks all, for the replies. After pouring over the forum, I think I'll just go for a 2016 or 2017 Cali T. Everyone seems to like them almost as much and there's a large price spread between them and the Portofino. Having owned six Porsches, I'm hesitant to dip my toe into the Ferrari pool because of the stories of maintenance costs and the like, a Cali T puts less money out there to test the brand (for me) and has already taken a significant depreciation hit.

Caeruleus11 and russellmcg like this.
  10. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista

Exactly what I did. So far so good. Cali T rides better and attracts a lot more attention than a 911 (not sure that is good or bad). Wait until winter and selection might be better. Get a PPI and the warranty

Caeruleus11 and russellmcg like this.
  11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is the best plan IMO. Gives you a chance to test the waters in terms of a selling and/or servicing dealer. If you like it, can always upgrade the experience. And the expense! Good luck...T

12. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Ha-Ha! I threw in the towel on the Ferrari and bought a new 2021 Porsche Carrera S Cab (three-pedal manual) that was highly optioned. I kept pouring over all the Ferrari threads here and just can't get past the cost of maintenance and parts, I'm not prepared to pay those kind of prices. I think the water pump replacement costs on a 2014 FF I was reading about just pushed me over the edge on it. Beautiful and wonderful cars you all drive, they are just outside my comfort level. I've been a 911 man for 43 years now, this one fits like a comfortable shoe. Thanks for all the input guys.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RBully10 and 09Scuderia like this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Nice ride! Enjoy.
    T

14. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    sorry to hear that. the two cars are in no way a comparison.

15. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I own both porsches and Ferrari’s. As to cost of maintenance since 2012 model year Ferrari includes 7 year free maintenance versus Porsche gives you first year free. Prior to 2012, my annual maintenance for a Ferrari 458 was $900. That is about the same as the cost I pay for the two year maintenance on my 911.

If you keep a Ferrari 7 years versus a 911 for 7 years my guess you will pay a lot more in maintenance on you 911.

Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. drcollie

drcollie Karting

Dec 15, 2013
    Well, it's not really maintenance, since that is mostly oil changes I do all that sort of thing myself anyways. It's out-of-warranty repairs, there are a lot of stories here on F-Chat about them and frankly I don't have that kind of play money to write five-figure checks to get a car back on the road.

I back to back drove a 2019 Portofino then went to the Porsche dealer and drove the 2021 Carrera S Cab that I ultimately purchased. The Porsche is faster and more a driver's car than the Portofino, and I still like a three pedal sports car. The ticket on the new Porsche was $ 159K, which in Ferrari world puts me in a 2016/2017 Cali T with an expired warranty. The Porsche has 4 years new car warranty - so that's a pretty huge gap to cover.

I was going to wait for Portofino prices to drop, but realistically it will be 2 years before they come to the price of the new Porsche, at the end of the day it was a financial call. The 992 Porsche is a far cry from the prior 991 generation, they vastly improved the car so I'm happy with it. This being my 6th 911, I've never had a bad experience with them so I know and trust the brand.

Ferrari's are highly desirable, no doubt. Just very expensive.

Caeruleus11 and Raj seth like this.
  17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Having the 160k for the car but not having the money for maintenance doesn't sound like a good story.

I don't know if you're played by the sales guy. The 2021 one you bought doesn't come close to a 2015 Cali T in speed.

If you are used to porsches you can continue driving them. i see two or three lined up at any red light all the time.

Ferrari is a totally different class.

18. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    Sold my 2020 992 4s Convertible in August with less than 3k miles and bought a 2017 Cali T HS with 6k miles and never looked back. After a series of 911 the Cali is my first Ferrari.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They will drop. Mass produced car, depreciation is part of the game. It will do what the T did and the M will continue to push prices down. Hold on for a bit and get what you want.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is absolutely not true. The 992 Carrera S is faster than the T.
    The actual power of the Porsche is close to 500PS and it is about 300 kg lighter than the T. On top of that you have the new 8 speed PDK. The T would be left for dead.

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Now that I have told XSpeed that a Carrera S w. PDK is faster than a T, I will tell you that you are very wrong if you think a gated Carrera S is faster than a Porto. Be happy with what you have, no need to sell or defend the 992 to us. I recon most of us have test driven one by now, so we know what it is and isn't. Enjoy

22. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    show proof.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
    The 992 S has 450hp. From 0-60 the 992 S is a tiny bit faster thanks to its 35% : 65% weight distribution. At higher speed the Cali closes in and surpasses the Porsche.

24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I know it is rated at 450, but this is Porsche. Add 8-10%

25. Raj seth

Raj seth Karting

Sep 24, 2020
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Raj seth
    Totally. I just sold my 2014 turbo (30k miles) added $35k and now have a 2016 Ferrari CaliT with powertrain warranty, normal service included...with 10k less miles.

I felt more risk in the Porsche than I will with this. Yea the Porsche is sharper drivers car but not a better car.

eventually love a 3 pedal cayman gts for fun etc.

SLViper1 likes this.