California vs California T | FerrariChat

California vs California T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by tanktom, Dec 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Hi all,

looking to purchase a California. Some of the reviews I read and watch claim that the California T is a significant improvement on the ordinary California in almost every way (driving experience mostly).

curious to hear what you guys with experience have to say on this matter please?

thanks in advance

2. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have owned both and put a lot of miles on each. The T is significantly faster and there were a number of improvements to the car. The only advantage that the original California has is it is naturally aspirated, and just sounds better. The 2013-2013 California 30 is the best of the non-turbo Californias (that is what I owned). If you drive a California 30, you will love it. If you drive it back to back with a California T, you may not be able to resist the extra horsepower and refined styling. But they are both great cars. The HS Speciale exhaust makes a nice different on the California T in terms of sound, and that can be added after the fact, as well as various other exhausts -- Tubi, Capristo, etc.

whatheheck and lucasines like this.
  3. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I agree. I have also had both and the T is worlds different in my opinion. Was much more the car I should have got out of the gate. Having the HS on it helps but I still miss the sound of my old one. Give a little with the exhaust to get a lot for the more updated interior and look.

Drive both back to back and see what you like better.

4. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Vic and Russell - much appreciated, that's really valuable advice, thank you. I am going to test drive them back to back. Any common failures/problems with either of them that seem to crop up that I should look out for/be aware of please?

russellmcg likes this.
  5. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    There’s a considerable price difference. So yeah the T should be better. I was in the market for staying under 100k and so I got a non-turbo. It’s a great car, I think I prefer the styling to the T but yeah the performance is probably not equivalent to a car that costs 50k more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2013-2014 Cali 30
    2015 Cali T
    All under 20K miles
    I only see a 20K delta + or -
    And worth every penny in speed style and handling.

7. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    Haven't looked in a couple months. Still looks to me to be around 35k to 40k delta. Around 6 months ago, the delta was closer to 50k. Seems like non-T's have started to go up in value. I'm about to sell mine and I think I'll get more than I paid for it.
    Again I'm sure the T is more than worth it. But for a buyer that's debating for the older version of a car vs the newer one, with better specs all around, I would assume cost is a factor. Why not buy the new F8? I bet it handles better than both.

8. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    thanks Aaron. What year is yours please? Price is obviously a factor and so is value retention which might also be a positive for the older version?

9. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    2011. Been pretty happy with it for the money.

10. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    great to hear - lovely pic. Have you had any issues with it? I hear the pre 2013 models can experience problems with DCT and the roof? Any things you would mention to someone else buying one in general? Thanks again

11. irving203

irving203 Rookie

Aug 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joe Schmo
    I’ve only owned it since August. The service history was up to date with few issue,and Ferrari dealership only needed to do the bi-annual fluids. It was a temporary purchase, but for the little time I’ve had it, it’s been great. Looks like you’ve done the research so I would use that for the decision. Like others have said, I would text drive both. I wasn’t in the market for 130k car so I didn’t even bother researching the T, but consensus is that it’s a good car.

12. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Hi Vic (and anyone else of course); any thoughts on which of these 3 you think represents best value please? Looking at it objectively of course:
    https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10812708?cId=10812708&cId=11041091&cId=11041152&cId=10851921&cId=10314372&cId=11048140

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11041091?cId=10812708&cId=11041091&cId=11041152&cId=10851921&cId=10314372&cId=11048140

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11041152?cId=10812708&cId=11041091&cId=11041152&cId=10851921&cId=10314372&cId=11048140

13. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agree prices are trending up and getting the best example for your budget is always the goal. Depreciation is very low on the Cali-Cali T.

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    prices are trending up on Calis? Link ?

15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
  16. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    The answer is which ever car appeals to you. The "value" delta between these three examples will be minimal. This is the time to determine what you want and how you want to use this car. i.e. Drive Daily, Weekend Fun or Garage Queen or anything in between.

17. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    thanks. I plan to daily it (putting around 8k miles per year on it). I agree with your comments above - I suppose I was referring mostly to the options on each as although I can read them, I was curious as to which extras help the resale of a car and also might be generally considered as very useful to have in reality. Thanks for your reply

18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I'm really not familiar with the UK market, Henry ... but they appear to all about the same price, so I would likely opt for one of the California Ts as I think the Cali 30 should be less. I would pick the one with the color and options you are most interested in.

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Thanks Vic. Given that I'm new to the brand and have a budget of around $110,000, I'm keen for the depreciation to be as minimal as possible. Might sound obvious but does that mean I should just go for the oldest year Cali I can find? or do you think there's a sweet spot in terms of age/Cali variant? Thanks in advance

21. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Interesting, thanks Steve. I am thinking (although I'm a complete rookie) that the 2013 -14 Cali 30's are the sweet spot in terms of holding value. I'm curious to know whether you think the same?

22. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did a test drive and for me the 2013-2014 Cali 30 is the only years of Cali I considered. A little more power, a little less weight and less DCT issues in the 30.
    But with those asking prices pushing within 10-15K, I went 2015 Cali T. 5900 Miles, and as new. I got much improved style, much more HP and much better handling for a little more money. (still love it)
    Exotics drop value from new, much faster at first. The closer they get to dropping below 100K they slow down and even stop.(for awhile)
    Good Luck on the search

23. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    I went Cali30 for more retro/unique styling, na engine, price point, and of course the exhaust melody, especially with valves kept open. The Cali30 is plenty fast for me and per test data, the t is only .1 sec quicker to 60 mph. Can't go wrong with either. Good luck with your decision/hunt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

walman, Bill Phillips and SLViper1 like this.
  24. tanktom

tanktom Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Henry Tucker
    Thanks for this. Any tips for me on what to look out for when buying a cali 30 please?