Is Jet Pack Man Real? | FerrariChat

Is Jet Pack Man Real?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Texas Forever, Dec 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Are you referring to the recent reports? Local news here in LA had a video showing jet pack man off the coast of Palos Verdes. A private pilot caught the video over the ocean not too far from the coast line. To my untrained eye, he sure looked real. Also, Palos Verdes is not too far from LAX where commercial pilots have reported sitings.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #3 TheMayor, Dec 26, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    3000 feet seems too high to me. I'm guessing its a drone prank.

Also, those things are really noisy. Flying off of PV someone has to have heard it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You have to think of the human factors involved as well. You are literally lifting yourself up to that height because the forces travel through you arms and legs because that is where the jet engines are attached. Your muscles are counter acting the forces of the jets to stand upright as it lifts you. Well, Newton says that for every force in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, if object A exerts a force on object B, then object B also exerts an equal and opposite force on object A.

You have to be in really good shape to stand up to the stress of the engines for that long.

Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Probably something similar to this

Jetpack Aviation has been developing their jetpack for some time. It doesn't any special fitness to fly, you just hang in the pack. If they can somehow obtain higher fuel density they will someday fly as high and far as whatever was seen in the first post.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  8. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am sure you are strapped in. This logic doesn’t make sense. Are you tired after riding in an airplane?

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The jets are attached to your arms and legs. Its like doing push ups only you are also using your leg muscles to lift as well.

The guy has to reach 3000 feet. That's a lot of climbing and a long time.

Its a hoax.

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I have seen video of a type like he’s describing. But I think the one in SoCal doesn’t operate that way; I’m thinking it’s similar to the pack in James Bond Thunderball.

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    From the footage I just saw on the local news about 15 min ago it looks so real, I did not see any large round fan blades so not a drone-like in the video someone posted above but man this looked like a real person with a backpack attached, see if you can find the latest footage online.

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then he's flying a mini helicopter and not a jet pack.

I still think its a dummy and not a human.

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Your prob right but man, this thing looks just like Iron Man, no rotors on it anywhere.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I still think its impossible for anyone to fly one off PV and not be heard. They complain for excessive peacock crowing.

15. u2fast

u2fast Karting

Mar 22, 2009
    bellaire
    Full Name:
    barry r

i'm good friends with one of the engineers on this jetpack,(winged jetpack). as you can see, the sky is the limit as long as their is enough fuel. there are 4 jetcat turbines. fuel burn rate is approximately 25 - 30 ounces a minute per turbine depending on throttle settings. Jet A is approximately 7lbs per gallon. the wing carries the fuel. clearly, the flight time isn't very long. sadly, one of their test pilots died this year in a training accident. they used to jump from helicopter's and start at altitude. recently, they have been taking off from the ground. Lots of fuel burned in this mode and little room for issues.

afterburner and Texas Forever like this.
  16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    I have been thinking the same thing.... lots of questions about just how a jet pack could fly that high and far given current jet pack tech. Replace the human with a vaguely human shaped fuel tank, well that’s a whole lot of gas that can be used for flying around rather than suspending a meat popsicle 3k feet off the ground.

17. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    This was at the 1984 Olympic Opening Ceremony in LA, so 37 years ago.

Forward to exactly 1 minute.

Boomhauer likes this.