Bore out stock 81mm liner | FerrariChat

Bore out stock 81mm liner

Discussion in '308/328' started by waymar, Dec 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    1982 308GTSi stock 81mm liner. Can this be bored to 81.5mm or 82mm? Can the stock head gasket be used or is a customer gasket needed? Many thanks.....

2. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It’s probably not worth it to try and bore out the liners. You would need a fixture like a torque plate to do the job properly. Also, they would need to be retreated with nikasil coating since the cylinders are aluminum. 1 and 2 mm oversized pistons and cylinders are readily available.

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Yes, you can bore them. Ferrari didn't bore them in situ but I measured a couple of thou distortion once clamped with a torque plate on my first engine. On this second engine which is low miles, I can see the hone scratches in some places but not others (and not only related to the thrust faces of the cylinder.) You can borrow my plate for shipping costs or I can send you the drawing. Mine cost $30 for an offcut thick plate and $75 for water jet cutting.
    The head gasket fire ring is at 84mm diameter but liners get dangerously thin beyond 83mm. I'm thinking of getting a small batch of 83mm forged pistons and 141mm (longer) rods as it seems a waste to fit new pistons that are taller than necessary and not have the benefits of a better rod ratio.

4. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Thank you gentlemen. My liners are not Ni liners. The plate theory appeals to me. When time comes thinking JE 82mm 10:1 compression ratio. That’s about as wild as I would get. LOL. Currently no cats and have David F’s MED802A modules.

5. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    From where are they readily available? I can't find them anywhere.

6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Try Superformance

7. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    They only have steel liners.

8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    My 1982 308GTSi has steel liners so this is not problem for me. Thank you everyone for your input.

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    waymar likes this.
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea I'm pretty sure Nikasil started with the QV's - 1983-1985

waymar likes this.
  11. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Update - I ordered JE 10:1 - 81.5mm pistons, will be using stock cams. I had already had the digiplex units reworked to the euro spec. No air pump or cats on the car. 82 GTSi - Thank you to everyone for the input.....

Ferraripilot likes this.