458 2010 ECU - if I tune can I flash back? | FerrariChat

458 2010 ECU - if I tune can I flash back?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AdWassi, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AdWassi

AdWassi Karting

Jul 3, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Hey everyone. Merry Christmas!

So I have a 2010 458 with the stock ECU.
    Pops, bangs the works. Love it!

. I remember explicitly on this forum everyone saying don’t touch the ECU, don’t allow any software upgrades as this is the holy grail ECU that no one can get

however... the time has come that I honestly really need a tune on the car. I’ve installed high flow headers and a titanium exhaust and after running them for a couple of months I can feel the car isn’t happy with the current mapping.

my tuner has assured me he can flash this back to stock and it’s a non issue

ANYONE in here with a 2010/2011 with the stock ECU done a tune? Anyone been able to flash back?

Any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks everyone happy holidays!

Adam

xfrgtr and Tarek307 like this.
  2. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I think the warnings were more to do with not letting Ferrari flash a newer tune. The later versions of the factory tune get rid of the pops and bangs.

If your tuner is familiar with these cars and the differences in the tunes, I don't see why they can't remap and still keep the overrun pops and bangs.

Sent from my SM-A515W using Tapatalk

turbokraft and AdWassi like this.
  3. AdWassi

AdWassi Karting

Jul 3, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for the reply, that certainly makes a lot more sense since Ferrari Are so awesome at stuff like that :)

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I wouldn’t touch your car and risk it, personally. There was a flash tuner guy here years ago, seems to have vanished.

5. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I don't have any first hand experience, but having programmed EPROM's and such back in the 80's I would think you should be able to do the equivalent of a ROM hex memory dump or something, which would allow you to save/store the current memory image.

Have you consulted any of the tuners out there? I'm sure they would know off the top of their heads.

Ray

6. Gintani

Gintani Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex Marukian
    If your tuner saves your factory read-out, you won't have any problem

7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Just make sure you don't lose that beautiful 2010 sound man, when i had my trans worked on at the dealer and i absolutely forbade them from doing any upgrade that would effect the exhaust note..its the reason i looked for a 10' 11'

8. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi Adam,
    every tuner will give you the chance to "go back to stock", but this is not always strictly true as it could be done in 2 different ways:
    1) your stock tune is actually downloaded and saved for future reload, and then you're fine, or
    2) the tuner someway has a library of stock calibrations, and you'll be able to flash "yours" one day: in this case you're not sure you are fine as "your" stock available calibration may be the updated one, with pops/burbles deleted, and not the true one from 2010; you're not actually "going back" this way, just you are granted you'll be able to flash the ECU's with a supposedly stock tune, which not necessarily is the same as yours was.
    As a consequence of the above I would recommend that you specifically ask your tuner about the "back to stock" process, and what "stock" tune is available if you'll fall into case 2).
    I hope it helps,
    have fun.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  9. turbokraft

turbokraft Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Johnathan David Adams
    Contact Mase Tuning in Jacksonville Florida.

Rexcat458 likes this.