308 mid rise lift | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308 mid rise lift

Discussion in '308/328' started by mr308gtb, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My son, who works at a VW dealership, was given (as in free) a Norco 86002A mid rise lift that had been unused for a period of time. I brought it home and found that someone had replaced the "up" button but had miss wired it causing the lift to not operate correctly. After switching a couple of wires it worked fine, raised my 1999 Ford Ranger without any problem. I haven't tried it on my GT4 as it is in his garage and his lift is in my garage!

It may be a viable alternative to a MD-6XP for those shopping for a mid rise lift, it is a very similar design.
    https://www.mile-x.com/norco-86002a-48-mid-rise-lift/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    my damn ceiling is so damn low... in 2 bays its 8ft because of a beam and in the 3rd its 9ft, but I have the garage door opener in the way, so basically 8'. now back to thinking that the scissor lift might just be the least intrusive and most practical to do simple stuff like fluids, brakes, cleaning, detailing.

flash32 likes this.
  3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you have a sectional garage door you can replace your opener with a wall mounted jackshaft type, that's what I did, they are very smooth and quiet and free up the ceiling space.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Manda racing likes this.
  4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Boy those mid lifts are a pain. I just moved mine to my outside carport— and have always thought of recessing it into pad for ease of spotting the car.

the biggest hassle for me is having to use 12” planks lined up just right to get on top of lift.

some jobs require jack stands and then crawling under and laying on top of mid lift.
    HTH

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I used four planks each side ..one on top of each other and 2 side by side ..I butt them up the lift and find it easy to drive up in to it .. I also offset them so that I get a stepping effect for driving in to them

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Thanks everyone... I like the additional thought, that I could put jack stands underneath and then recess the lift if needed. That's a smart idea.

7. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I also like and appreciate the idea about the jackshaft type opener.

So one back ceiling 9ft, other two bays have a beam, about even with the door opener so Ill never get higher than 8ft in there.

So this is my dilemma - now leaning toward original plan of doing the scissor lift. I guess I will put it in my bay with the 9ft ceiling.

That bay is to my far left side. I have about 3' clearance on that side until the wall. I guess that would be enough?

Or would you all say I am better to put into the center bay, with the 8' ceiling and then having more space on both sides... or is that too risky having a ferrari on each side, maybe better to have near the wall instead.

8. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    I have 8.7 foot ceiling roughly, and use a MaxJax.

I love the lift, but it would be more convenient if I could keep the column bolted. I have one that doesn't move, and my outside one I have to install every time.

It doesn't take TOO long, but it's a bit of a hassle. Once on the lift though... just love it. I don't know if I could go back to jack stands.

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In regards to ceiling height, if you were planning to use the lift solely for your Ferrari the standard height of a 308 is 42 inches. The max rise of a mid-range lift without extensions is normally 45 inches so that would put the top of the car at 7.25 feet. You could even use the 3 inch extenders and still be okay.

10. GatedShiftFcar

Apr 16, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel Gould
    I have the same opener. Just curious if you have to reset your travel limits much?! Seems I have to adjust the down travel two time per year. It tends to want to keep driving the door down longer as time goes by... just curious if it’s just me.

As for the main post here, I have a Quality 4 post that is great. Narrow footprint allowing me to use the space next to it for my daily.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Excellent point!!!

12. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    And what do you all think, better to put it in my middle bay, or the left side and have the wall on my left. I will measure, but have good amount of room on the side, maybe 3 or 4'.

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you decide on the midrise lift you can technically move it unless you built it in ..

14. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    im going to set it into the floor...

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Then that is a personal preference but I would think the middle bay to give ample room to open doors have cart with tools next to you etc

I would manufacture a cover so that it would be out of sight if you wanted to move car to side and use the remajn two bays as open space when not working car

16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've never had to make any adjustments. When you say "driving the door down" do you mean it continues to unwind the spring? Does the door still open all the way? I would check to make sure the connection to the jackshaft is not slipping because the travel limits are programmed internally to the box so that would be the only way they could get out of sync.

17. GatedShiftFcar

Apr 16, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel Gould
    The up limit stays perfect and is no problem. When I put the door down it will go down and when it gets to the ground it tries to continue closing it another inch or few. So it sounds awful as the motor wants to keep driving the door down but the ground is in the way! Eventually it tries to close the door long enough after it’s on the ground that it thinks it hit something and reopens. I have redone the travel limits twice in the past year. This all starts to happen it seems when the seasons (temperatures) change. Just curious if the door you have this motor on is used daily? Mine is used for my daily driver so it gets some use...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes mine gets used all the time and I’ve had it for over four years now, never an issue.

19. Dbone

Dbone Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2005
    Malibu
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Quick jack in action if it helps in the decision process.
    You will be on your back, but you do have good access... i still put a few safety jack stands ..just in case. Image Unavailable, Please Login

newark_308 and Nuno Andrade like this.
  20. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I know this thread focuses on scissors lifts, but removing wheels on a 4-poster is easy with the included jack tray (which slides end to end), plus a bottle jack and jack stands that sit in the jack tray. You are limited to lifting one end at a time (unless you buy or make a second jack tray).