Hive question: How to clean the sparkplug wells on a Maserati V8.. ? | FerrariChat

Hive question: How to clean the sparkplug wells on a Maserati V8.. ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I have some amount of debris and filth going down into the sparkplug wells on my Khamsin's DOHC V8...
    I can get some of it out, but..

...the main problem is that I have to clean out some of the junk AFTER I've removed the plugs..

How do I prevent debris from falling into the cylinder whilst cleaning the well, without the plugs in place?

I could conceivably insert small plastic caps that parts manufacturers use to keep openings safe from debris during shipping and handling.. but I plan on using a steel bottle brush and compressed air to clean the wells, and that is pretty violent. Or I could do that, and just be careful. I'm concerned I might air-blast the cap away, exposing the cylinder.

Have any of you developed any tricks for cleaning in there?

Grazie,
    - Art

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If I were presented with that job, I would be extremely careful about sealing up the spark plug hole with something a bit more robust than a plastic cap. What if while blowing it out, that little plastic cap gained wings? Perhaps a more secure method would be to take an old spark plug and lop off the top. That way you'd be 100% sure of sealing the spark plug hole and the seat for the seal.

tritone and 71Satisfaction like this.
  3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Leave the plugs in and use compressed air to blow out any loose material. Then spray the wells with Brake-Kleen and dry out with a paper towel. Whenever you remove the plugs, loosen them one turn and then blow out any loose debris with air before completely removing the plugs.

MK1044 and EastMemphis like this.
  4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you. Yes, exactly..
    I have some caps that will friction fit pretty tightly, I'll test them, see if they fit. If not adequate, I'm going to find out if I can source (4) short bolts with the threads of a sparkplug and clean one side at a time.. . The bolts I can blast with compressed air while removing them so any tiny pieces of grit will be evacuated before the bolt comes out.

...so far, I've crafted this little cleaning tool to get behind the sparkplug's hex edge, leaving the plug in place, spin it around a bunch of times.. then use compressed air to blow the crud out.. it's working adequately.

Cheers,
    - Art
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Clever small tool (you use it manually, I guess).
    I see the same kind of wear I have on my own plastic gloves when doing mechanics. At the end of the day, the fingers skin is ruined whatever you do!
    Serge

71Satisfaction likes this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I use gloves consistently when working on virtually anything. My favorite gloves are Tiger Grip from Eppco. They are 7mil thick and protect my hands from many typical bleeders. These gloves are highly resistant to tearing, can take a lot of abuse before wearing out and generally go into the trash can intact. They fit better than other glove brands, at least for my hands, and come in a box of 100 for large.

Regular exam gloves are 2 or 3mil. They tear with the slightest sharp edge. The 8 mil gloves, which are typically advertised for mechanics and such are too thick and cause a loss of deftness. The 7mil Tiger Grip gloves with their diamond pattern are just right for maneuvering that nut in the blind.

During the height of the pandemic, I couldn't buy them from my usual source, Amazon, nor anyplace else so I called the company and they arranged for me to buy a case from an industrial customer. Great customer service there.

Just checked and they still aren't available from Amazon. Glad I have 9 boxes left!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yes, I push the brush all the way to the bottom, then spin it with my fingers using the loop at the end.. .

(Apropos fingers and gloves - I use several pairs of the crappy vinyl gloves per day. The oils and cleaning solvents break the vinyl down very quickly. I will soon use up the box of vinyl gloves I bought when nitrile was in short supply).

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    It was unreasonably complicated to source any M14x1.25 bolts.

Using tight-fitting plastic plugs has worked effectively so far... They show no signs of being blown out by compressed air... Now I'm waiting for delivery of some 7/8", 1" and 1-1/4" diameter steel wire brushes to clean inside the plug wells.

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Really? I've made custom piston stops using bolts.

https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=15179&gclid=CjwKCAiAxKv_BRBdEiwAyd40N8XIruY8soghAJagbrk1JWhJ6a15a7wjvQLFqoH1mCTqvN51ntcqOBoCKNIQAvD_BwE

BTW my dead last Bora came with the later style QPIII plug covers which keeps a lot of the crud out of there in the first place. DWR46 has the right idea.

I bet that Khamsins produced after my Bora also came with these. They work quite well.
    http://www.maseratinet.com//pc-14982-627-ignition-wire-set-tipo-330.aspx

Perhaps a cup shaped wire brush in an electric drill that slips over the bolt head would make much quicker work of this?

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ?? Something got lost here... those are M12x1.25. Not the correct thread. A search for M14x1.25 yielded nothing.

Yes.

I should have acknowledged this approach earlier. This is exactly what I had conceived, the only difference being the spiral brush to physically loosen crud behind the plug instead of chemically cleansing carb cleaner. Then, yes breaking each one loose and blowing crud out again before removal.

Now, the red plastic plugs shown above will stay in place until the wells are abrasively cleaned and then crud blown out again before fresh spark plugs are re-installed.

A bit redundant, but I have the time and will. Thank you DWR46.

Bob, my friend with the original '77 Khamsin also has those 'ballerina skirt' dust covers on his plug wires.
    - Art

11. jamespeter26

jamespeter26 Karting

May 9, 2019
    Rome, Italy
    Full Name:
    Peter
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sorry ... Google linked it but it wasn't 1.25 I then when I switched the pitch on the web sight I missed that BoltDepot dropped it to 12mm. Stupid search engines shouldn't substitute incorrect results like that.

I have bought them for the aforementioned piston stop duty I don't know why they're hard to find now?

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland