C8 CORVETTE | Page 43 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Chevy changes its mind too often to really know now. I can see reliability issues that scare them off a high revving V8 and go with a hybrid or turbo to get the power.

18 months out and they still have not made one right hand drive car -- and they said they were going to go after international markets on the day they announced it. Now they wonder if its worth all the investment...

I hope I'm wrong but until this N/A engine is announced, I believe nothing.

2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The C8.R race car is running a detuned/restricted (Balance Of Power rules) version of the 5.5L engine. 500hp @ 7,400 rpm. So, 600hp @ 8,500? rpm is not far off with no restrictions.
    9,000 rpm seems a stretch for reliability and warranty from a Chevy.
    Ford Shelby GT350 has a 5.2L, 526hp @ 8,250
    The na 458 Speciale is 597hp @ 9,000 but that engine is only 4.5L (less mass is easier to spin fast)

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I thought under 5.0 is the optimal size for a flat plane motor.
    The ford gt350 engine only works because of the massive counterweights which the. Negate many of the benefits of a flat plane.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    the problem with ccbs is unless you’re a race team they such for track bro g too fragile and don’t last lo g enough to warrant the massive cost.

most porche guys pull the ccbs of for resale and run steel rotors for track.

the light cars are the maclarens. once you get above 3000-3200lbs it’s heavy. C6 z06 was reportedly 3150

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Took an hour cruise in the C8 today. Absouletely the most fun car I have owned to date ! Great growl, instant power, and dial in your sport / track preference. I have learned that I need to dial back the open exhaust on startup in my area.

of2worlds, thecarreaper and k wright like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Have you found a quieter mode for start up? I haven't.

7. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    On the highway and just passed a C8 in that brown color. That is a striking and great color on the car!

pdxjim488, of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Only about 1% are that Bronze color. Its been carried over into 2021

of2worlds and thecarreaper like this.
  9. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    At the delivery, we set up My Mode to have the louder exhaust all the time. I have been changing to the Tour setting when pulling in, and it seems a little softer at startup, but may be my imagination.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    of2worlds likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1061 TheMayor, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    This is a non-Z51 car. They do not come with the front splitter nor the rear wing.

Z51 comes with bigger brakes, eDiff, performance exhaust, height adjustable suspension, and a few more goodies. Runs about $6 grand in 2021.

of2worlds and pdxjim488 like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I'll have to try this. I use sport mode 100% of the time unless I'm on the highway. Then tour.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  13. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    The Mayor might like this video, I did.

thecarreaper and pdxjim488 like this.
  14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw it. Its painful for the first minute but its pretty funny later on.

KY _Soldier, normv and thecarreaper like this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    MotorTrend's 2020 Best Driver's Car - Randy Pobst Hot Lap at Laguna Seca
    https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/corvette/2020/2020-chevrolet-corvette-pros-cons-review-best-drivers-car-video/#MotorTrend

Lap times from this year's Best Drivers Car:
    2020 Ferrari F8 Tributo - 1:32.27
    2020 Lamborghini Huracan Evo - 1:32.85
    2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S - 1:32.97
    2020 Ford Mustang GT500 CF - 1:33.84
    2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 - 1:36.14
    2020 Corvette Stingray Z51 - 1:37.83 ( :( o_O blame the tires?)
    2020 Porsche Cayenne Turbo - 1:40.27

16. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Rapid Blue C8 in Arkansas.
    Retail Price $89,155.00
    Fair Market Adjustment $35,000.00

$124.155.00.... what a deal.

TheMayor likes this.
  17. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    That FMA is in the same league as a Structure Blue Lexus LC 500! :D Wonder if the dealer would be willing to give a discount for White?

kylec and of2worlds like this.
  18. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I got home last night from doing my 2 day C8 Corvette track school at Spring Mountain that GM offers to all new owners at a subsidized cost (Your cost is $1000.00, non owners $3,695.00).
    It was a great 2 day course with day one filled with some fun and educational control exercises like full abs stop in water and controlling into a lane (left or right) that the instructor would point to at the last second.
    Great experience and totally worth it, here a few pics :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Nice pics. Does the 'school' take/provide those for you? Does the instructor take you on a hot lap? Do you establish base lap time, then try to improve upon it?

20. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #1070 darkkaangel, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The photos are an optional thing taken by a professional photographer and he charges $150.00 and gives them to you on a thumb drive at the end of the last day, about 40 photos.
    The instructors are not in car with you (actually much preferred this too as it helped me focus on what I was doing versus being nervous about the instructor sitting next to me).
    They talk to you via a radio they have in each car and they are on track way out front in a lead follow format and they see everything and give you constant feedback and the school gives a you a micro sd card for the pdr recorder to record everything and get to review it on laptops with them.
    They also did have a pro driver take each of us in our cars (as you are assigned a C8 for the during of the class so its yours only) on a 2 lap run to show us how they run the track and at the end of the second lap they do they do a full ABS stop at high speed in the essess part of the track to show you just how much control you have and how balanced the car is.
    At the end of day 2 they have the students from each class do a auto cross competition to see who is fastest and I got second place :) (I was in the RED group).

21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Worth the watch...

thecarreaper and k wright like this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    of this list how many of these cars would be sustaining the same or Even a similar lap time by lap 10. Maybe the cayman.

while it’s nice to see what a car can ultimately do for a lap It’s also sorta irrelevant for anyone who actualy tracks cars.

In my world all cars would be tested for at least 10 laps maybe 3 sets of 10 laps in a day, and we would look at lap 5 and lap 10 for each session. Cars could also have some alignment or alignedments that still work on street and could run pads and any street legal tires.

we would probably see the mustang at the bottom of the list in such a test and the cayman and vette moving up the pecking order.

one lap wonders is nothing other than marketing, it has no practical application on road and tells little about how a car would actualy work oN Track for an owner who went to the track.

still interesting to see the na hurricane evo in the hunt with the f8

k wright likes this.
  23. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    You may be right about the GT500. However, having flogged the crap out of a GT350 at a Ford Performance driving school (and I have 15 years of track and instructing experience) it does not fall off with multiple laps, even with ungodly unreasonable brake abuse. And with no forced induction there is no to minimal heat soak.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I’m a gt350 fan and have run with them on track so have an idea of their relative performance. It’s still a. Big heavy car.
    I think the mustang gt Pp2 has even stiffer suspension and it too is big and heavy at the limit, but they do work.

it was intersting in the tests that the f8 fared so poorly. They panned it for steering and tail out at the limit. Every other magazine loved its steering. Ferrari is known for sending ringers and maybe this one had a too aggressive track alignment and they messed it up. There was Also the whole brake rebuild story, which is something to considder when tracking any car and an exotic is expensive consumables. The cost of running the thing in an environment which accelerates consumables.

reading the article In full it’s pretty clear if you’re going to the track the cayman gt4 would be the winner for an owner, and I’ll bet the gt4 RS is going to knock it out the park. It’s also intersting that the current stock gt4 is running 458 times in a non paddle car which says a lot about progress and relative speeds.

the Vette in its current guise is a gt car but the bits are there For gm to make something exceptional.

imo the two most exciting new cars coming along are the gt4 RS and z06, fast reliable fun and useable o track. Maybe as the electric car era approaches we’re at ta zenith for a the na ice powered car you can drive to track for fun and hammer on track all day. The 250 swb of the modern era.

always loved the hurricane and the evo 2wd seems to be a great buy at under 250k, but if you’re gonna run on track it’s gonna cost.

makes me think, sell the BBI and the exige track car get a gt4rs and hurricane evo, covers all the bases except for a stick.
    If only boxers were still worth 400k, lol.

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Makes me think why have a gt4rs and a hurrican
    When you an just cover all the bases with a z06

k wright likes this.