Corvettes whilst driving my 360 | FerrariChat

Corvettes whilst driving my 360

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Husker, Dec 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Why is it that every time I am out puttering around in my 360, Corvette drivers feel the need to rev their cars to redline, jack rabbit out of stoplights, and drive like maniacs to catch up with me to do these tricks?

Mustangs are almost as bad.

Can someone explain this phenomenon?

kes7u likes this.
  2. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

MPS (Micro Penis Syndrome)

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Where are you located? Maybe the rarity of an F-car? Bored kids?
    T

4. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Prob bc they figure youre an enthusiast and they can try their vette or whatever other car they have against your 360.

I had the same thing happen to me in my golf r with a gt2 in edgewater, nj where the driver continued to egg me on to run. We ran and that was it

Not saying you have to run but seeing a ferrari to some is like seeing a dyno. They wonder what it can do against a prestigious car like a ferrari.

Some like myself know a 360 isnt gonna do much to more modern sports cars that are tuned but others dont and feel they should try.

Just my opinion from what i see around me in the NJ, NY area. If you just raise a hand by the window and nod the head theyll leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Yeah I've had this happen couple of times. Mostly young kids in vettes, mustang or anything they think is fast with a loud exhaust. At first I thought it was a "mutual car guy thumbs up" but after several times and asking a few other people it appears its a juvenile "my cars faster/louder/cooler than your car" kinda thing and not out of mutual respect

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #6 ginoBBi512, Dec 25, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2021
    One time, in Huntington Beach, a guy in a red corvette was doing the same thing , very obnoxiously. I turned my head toward him and I had my window down and said that he looked like a retard driving that piece of **** , thats how much of and idiot this guy was. After that, he stopped . I dont pretend that my 328 is a really fast car, because its not. I have to say, that even if I was driving an 812 SuperFast, I would have done the same thing, and boy oh boy I love that 812 !!

Thank you

tomc and Husker like this.
  7. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Never happens in my Calif North Bay area.
    Ignore them, knowing your 360 will win the exhaust tone contest.
    As for the reasons, I can only guess:, ego, envy, enthusiast, car brotherhood, cheap harmless fun, they want a photo "in the wild".

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    It's just teenage (or manchild) hijinks. The best thing to do is to go to the track.

The irony being if stop lights are your thing, a used and lightly prepped Tesla has got that cornered for ~35K.

You'll beat 99% of everything out there - quietly. Huffing and puffing in the year 2021 in your 'Stang or whatever at a stoplight is as silly as busting out your phonograph on a bus.

:)

Husker likes this.
  9. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I usually drive top down, windows down. I usually look over and roll up the window.

Ak Jim likes this.
  10. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No big deal. A little 1/4 mile fun if the roads are empty can be...fun.
    I had my ass handed by tuned audis and golfs but who cares, it's fun and we never really hit anything more than 70/80mph.

11. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I’ve found the Vette crowd to be nice here, they all wave and haven’t had any egos towards me. Mustangs and F150’s with EcoBoost engines are another story. With the exception of one Mustang I ignore them. The one Mustang that wanted to play turned out to be one hell of a car! Must have had over 700 to the wheels. But he still lost. :)

tomc likes this.
  12. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    We were all young once .

Carboy likes this.
  13. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    This ^^^^^^^

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The two biggest "culprits" on the West Coast are 3 series BMW M owners and modified Honda owners, followed quickly by Mustang owners.

Husker likes this.
  15. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Is your car red?

Any number or reasons explain your phenomenon, kids being kids, I guess, but in 3 years I've never had that or anything similar happen. Maybe it's because it's NH, but around here every corvette seems driven by an older guy. Sometimes I get a thumbs up from them, nothing more.

I've had any number of people pace me on the highway, but no real hijinks.

16. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes, same here in eastern PA. There is a local Skyline Corvette club which is mainly comprised of guys with grey, white, or no hair (I'm dark brown / grey, ha). They putt around enjoying their cars, usually at or close to the speed limit. Fine by me as I mainly do the same thing, while watching out for people texting and driving. There is a Korean-inspired Pagoda on top of Mt. Penn overlooking Reading PA, and one of the winding roads up there is Skyline Drive. The local Corvette club gets its name from that road. Neil Peart (ex-Rush drummer, RIP) even took photos up there at the Pagoda while riding his motorcycle around the US.

17. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Once while I was in my 550, a guy in a riced-out something-or-other revved a couple of times at a traffic light and shouted over to me, "Think yours can beat mine ?" I responded with a question, "Car or bank balance ?"

RBen, pchflyer and swc5150 like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I never ever ever ever race anyone...ever.
    Witnesses and iPhone videos will absolutely incriminate you if something goes wrong, even with the other guy.
    If the other guy crashes and/or harms a third party you can be both criminally charged and nailed in a civil suit.

Guy next to me revs his car, I look over and smile...that is it.

tazz99, Alex308qv, sisiay and 5 others like this.
  19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    My first guess is that it is due to Covid. Most things are due to Covid these days. Did this start around early November? Could be due to the implementation of Daylight Savings Time recently. I know the trees have changed a lot since DST started. We should not mess around with the clock every year. It is insane!

Atlantic, joeyfrost and Husker like this.
  20. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Reminds me of some forums posts I saw on a regional Lancer Evo forum. The guy was bragging that he beat a 911. Someone who knew the 911 owner chimed in and said "the owner doesn't care, at the end of the night he went home to his beautiful wife, his 5k sq ft. house with five cars other cars in the garage while you went back home to your empty apartment alone with an open parking spot for your Evo and back to work next day at Best Buy. The best part was that everything he said was true. :D

tomc likes this.
  21. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Actually now that you mention it, it did begin around when they set the clocks back. Losing an hour of daylight can really jack things up. I never set my watch or car clock back and it’s really helped me.

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Those who bring the $$ into this conversation are the reason why Ferrari and nice cars are keyed.

sisiay, Meister, Schultz and 3 others like this.
  23. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I have Ferrari and a ZR1....Imagine how small my penis is!

nicholasn, turbokraft, RBen and 3 others like this.
  24. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Yea i really dont get some of these comments. At the end of the day youre in an enthusiasts dream car and youre bound to get some sort of spotlight regardless if its negative or positive.

Unfortunately when I’ve come across F owners to just honk or flash to show my appreciation with a thumbs up Ive gotten the shameful stares or the fake smile while im in my measly MK6R....but I too go home to a nice home, plenty of toys, my fiance, and best of all my dogs.

Saying that stuff to the “average joes” or people you dont know is really distasteful and has me on the fence on Ferrari ownership.

Ive made a post about this asking fellow F owners as I didnt want to encounter this kind of stuff while I take her out for a spin but it seems it will always be that way.

RBen and Boomhauer like this.
  25. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG

It has very little to say about the cars and more about the actual people involved