RIP John Paul Jr. | FerrariChat

RIP John Paul Jr.

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Terra, Dec 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ran across the news this morning on Instagram but its not being widely reported
    on relevant racing news sites.

Quite a life he led.

BHW

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    He raced up here and I had a brief conversation with him. He was quite friendly, humble and engaging. Because I was familiar with the Paul legacy, I didn’t know what to expect but he was as nice as Bob Varsha person to person. Sad to hear of his passing.

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I saw him race the 935 on a few occasions when he was 20 or 21. He threw it around like a go-kart, a real natural talent.

Jakuzzi, Manda racing and Isobel like this.
  6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He was such a nice, unassuming guy. He was wandering around the dirt paddock at PBIR/Moroso during one of our club track days...this was when his career was winding down. I had the car (a ‘73 2.7RS Carrera) up on the trailer, ready to go home. He looked at the car a bit longingly, struck up a conversation, and I thought, what the hell, there’s enough light for a few more laps. I’ll never forget that ride.

As sorry as I am that he has died, he was suffering terribly and so I hope he has found the peace he deserves.

At the same time I’m very happy to see that Bob Varsha is apparently doing well.

jcurry, Jakuzzi, Manda racing and 6 others like this.
  8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Can’t say I knew him but certainly met him a number of times.

And, yes, always a nice guy.

I remember at night practice at Sebring in 1983, he had shunted Preston Henn’s 935 Moby Dick
    which had just won at Daytona. Damage to the car wasn’t too serious but the crew had a thrash
    to get it ready for Friday practice.

When they brought he car back to the paddock, I hung around and was taking a few pics. The
    crew went to work and John was there helping them when co-drivers Derek Bell and Michael
    Andretti had long since left the track for the night.

I didn’t realize it but I was standing next to John's (then) wife and a young child. They were
    talking a bit and I questioned her why he was still there and she said, “He damaged the car,
    so he will be here helping until the car is done”.

Last time I saw him, he was one of our driver instructors at the first FOC track event at Homestead
    in 2001.

BHW

Jakuzzi, Manda racing and Isobel like this.
  9. A post I made on another board.....

Not in so many words, but that's what I said in post #20....

An example, to wit, excerpted from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P...(racing_driver)

"Paul was lured into the drug trade at the age of 15, just to be with his father.[15][16] His first legal troubles were on January 10, 1979, he and another accomplice were caught by customs agents loading equipment onto a pickup truck on the bank of a canal in the Louisiana bayous after dark. Following questioning, when one of them smelled cannabis on their clothing, his father was apprehended on his 42-foot boat named Lady Royale, where customs discovered on board residue of marijuana and $10,000. A rented truck was discovered nearby, which contained 1,565 pounds (710 kg) of marijuana.[17] In court, all three pleaded guilty to marijuana possession charges, where each was placed on three years' probation and fined $32,500.

Paul's racing career was interrupted in May 1986, when he was sentenced to five years in prison, for his involvement in a drug trafficking ring with his father and subsequent refusal to testify against him. He was sent to a minimum security prison in Alabama. He served a total of 30 months, being released in October 1988."

"At the beginning of 1983 Paul Sr. shot federal witness Stephen Caron, who would testify about Paul's illegal activities. After finishing second in the Grand Prix of Miami in a JLP Racing Lola, the team would be dismantled following his father's disappearance."

"Paul Sr. was finally indicted, tried, and convicted, in 1985."

I don't wish negative things on anyone, but, I do believe there is a balance.
    I have no sympathy for the Pauls and the like, especially when they scar the source of my passion. .

edit: I found some more; yup, they were lovely representatives of the sport......:confused: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P...(racing_driver)

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Robin Miller has an excellent article on JPJ's open wheel career and what could have
    been. When he was indicted, he was about to move into a very competitive ride with
    Shierson's Domino's Pizza team which brought Al Unser, Jr. and Arie Luyendyk careers
    to the front.

There's no doubt, JPJ was fast and a true talent who could make a mediocre team winners.

https://racer.com/2021/01/04/miller-jpj-should-have-been-an-open-wheel-great/

BHW

Jakuzzi, Isobel, Jack-the-lad and 2 others like this.
  11. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jakuzzi, Isobel, Terra and 1 other person like this.
  12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    of2worlds, Isobel and Jack-the-lad like this.
  13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I wonder if his father is aware of his son's passing? My understanding his is on a boat in the south east Asia sea. I do believe he is still a fugitive.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m sure he must know. He’s still a fugitive and of course he will be until apprehended.